University of Jammu
|Chancellor||Governor of Jammu and Kashmir|
|Location||Jammu, Jammu and Kashmir, India|
|Campus||Urban 118.78 acres|
The University of Jammu informally known as Jammu University (JU), accredited as A+ grade by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), was established in 1969 by an Act of the State Legislature which effectively split the Jammu and Kashmir University into the separate University of Jammu and University of Kashmir.
The University is currently located on the banks of the Tawi River. The university has set up seven off-sites campuses at Bhaderwah, Kishtwar, Poonch, Reasi, Ramnagar, Kathua and Udhampur. The university is the first university in India to receive the ISO-9001 certification. The university offers undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs. It also affiliates and recognizes colleges.
The Main Campus of Jammu University is situated at Baha Saheb Ambedkar Road in Jammu at an altitude of 1030 ft above sea level. The Main Campus of University houses the Teaching Departments, Health Centre, Guest House, Post Office, Jammu & Kashmir Bank, Bookshop, Hostels, Cafeteria and Canteens and many other facilities. The second campus of the University (the old campus) is spread over 10.5 acres which is located at a distance of 4 km from the main campus currently has residential quarters for teaching and non-teaching employees and hostel for boys.
The Governor of the J&K State is the Chancellor and the Chief Minister is the Pro-Chancellor of the University. The University has 36 departments and 157 affiliated colleges, awarding degrees in more than 50 programmes at the postgraduate and undergraduate level.
Faculties and departments
The University of Jammu has 11 faculties and 36 academic departments which offer courses in a wide variety of subjects and concentrations.
- Faculty of Life Sciences
- School of Biotechnology
- Department of Botany
- Department of Environmental Science
- Department of Zoology
- Faculty of Arts/Oriental Languages
- Department of Buddhist Studies
- Department of Dogri
- Department of English
- Department of Hindi
- Department of Punjabi
- Department of Sanskrit
- Department of Urdu
- Faculty of Sciences
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Geology
- Department of Geography
- Department of Home Science
- Department of Physics & Electronics
- Department of Remote Sensing & GIS
- Faculty of Education
- Department of Education
- Department of Physical Education
- Faculty of Business Studies
- The Business School
- School of Hospitality & Tourism Management
- International Centre for Cross Cultural Research and Human Resource Management
- Department of Commerce
- Faculty of Mathematical Science
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Computer Science & IT
- Faculty of Law
- Department of Law
- The Law School
- Faculty of Social Science
- Department of Economics
- Department of History
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Library and Information Science
- Department of Psychology
- Department for Strategic and Regional Studies
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Life Long Learning
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Music and Fine Arts
|University and College rankings|
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2018)||77|
|NIRF (Universities) (2018)||51|
Notable Alumni and Facilities
- Ghulam Nabi Azad is an Indian politician of the Indian National Congress and was the Minister of Health and Family Welfare. Presently, he serves as the Leader of opposition in Rajya Sabha.
- Shahnawaz Choudhary
- Idrees ul haq full name Mirza Mohammad Idrees ul Haq Beigh, is a Kashmiri innovator and activist
The Dhanvantri Library, the Central Library of the University, is a 3 storied building having an area of 60,000 sq.ft. It offers about 5 lakh books, journals, and 250 current periodicals, etc. on a variety of subjects which caters to the needs of the students, teacher, and researchers. The library has large reading halls which can easily accommodate about 500 users. Most of the library have been computerized. A special technology, RIFD technology, is used for security purpose in the library.
Almost all departments run their own Departmental libraries. These libraries provide a wide spectrum of Journals in addition to books to the students.
A First Aid Centre was initially established in the premises of the boys' hostels of the University managed by a part-time medical assistant. Later, the First Aid Centre was upgraded to a full-fledged Health Centre in the early seventies to provide medical aid benefits to the University community and the dependents of the University employees.
- "Kashmir, Jammu universities get new Vice Chancellors". Business Standard. Indo-Asian News Service. 25 July 2018.
- "JU awarded A+".
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "Ghulam Nabi Azad Biography - About family, political life, awards won, history".
- "Ghulam Nabi Azad named Leader of Congress in Rajya Sabha". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Briefing". Kashmir Life. January 6, 2014. Retrieved 2015-09-06.