University of Jammu
|Chancellor||Narinder Nath Vohra|
|Vice-Chancellor||R D Sharma|
|Location||Jammu, Jammu and Kashmir, India|
|Campus||Urban 118.78 acres|
The University of Jammu informally known as Jammu University (JU), accredited as A+ grade by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), was established in 1969 by an Act of the State Legislature which effectively split the Jammu and Kashmir University into the separate University of Jammu and University of Kashmir.
The University is at currently located on the banks of the Tawi River. The university has setup seven off-sites campuses at Bhaderwah, Kistwar, Poonch, Reasi, Rannagar, Kathua and Udhampur. The university is the first university in India to receive the ISO-9001 certification. The university offers undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs. It also affiliates and recognizes colleges.
The Main Campus of Jammu University is situated at Baha Saheb Amberkar Road in Jammu at an altitude of 1030 ft above sea level. The Main Campus of University houses the Teaching Departments, Health Centre, Guest House, Post Office, Jammu & Kashmir Bank, Book shop, Hostels, Cafeteria and Canteens and many other facilities. The second campus of the University (the old campus) is spread over 10.5 acres which is located at a distance of 4 km from the main campus currently has a residential quarters for teaching and non-teaching employees and hostel for boys.
The Governor of the J&K State, is the Chancellor and the Chief Minister is the Pro-Chancellor of the University. The University has 36 departments and 157 affiliated colleges, awarding degrees in more than 50 programmes at the postgraduate and undergraduate level.
Faculties and departments
The University of Jammu has 11 faculties and 36 academic departments which offer courses in a wide variety of subjects and concentrations.
- Faculty of Life Sciences
- School of Biotechnology
- Department of Botany
- Department of Environmental Science
- Department of Zoology
- Faculty of Arts/Oriental Languages
- Department of Buddhist Studies
- Department of Dogri
- Department of English
- Department of Hindi
- Department of Punjabi
- Department of Sanskrit
- Department of Urdu
- Faculty of Sciences
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Geology
- Department of Geography
- Department of Home Science
- Department of Physics & Electronics
- Department of Remote Sensing & GIS
- Faculty of Education
- Department of Education
- Department of Physical Education
- Faculty of Business Studies
- The Business School
- School of Hospitality & Tourism Management
- International Centre for Cross Cultural Research and Human Resource Management
- Department of Commerce
- Faculty of Mathematical Science
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Computer Science & IT
- Faculty of Law
- Department of Law
- The Law School
- Faculty of Social Science
- Department of Economics
- Department of History
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Library and Information Science
- Department of Psychology
- Department for Strategic and Regional Studies
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Life Long Learning
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Music and Fine Arts
|University and College rankings|
|General – India|
The university is ranked 63rd among Indian universities under the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in the annual national rankings 2017 released by the HRD Ministry of India.. According to Careers360 ranking, University of Jammu is ranked 34th in "Top Govt. Universities In India 2017"
The Dhanvantri Library,the Central Library of the University, is a 3 storied building having an area of 60,000 sq.ft. It offers abou 5 lakh books, journals and 250 current periodicals ,etc. on a variety of subjects which caters to the needs of the students, teacher and researchers. The library has large reading halls which can easily accommodate about 500 users. Most of the library have been computerized . A special technology, RIFD technology, is used for security purpose in the library.
Almost all departments runs their own Departmental libraries. These libraries provide wide spectrum of Jounals in addition to books to the students.
A First Aid Centre was initially established in the premises of the boys' hostels of the University managed by a part-time medical assistant. Later, the First Aid Centre was upgraded to a full fledged Health Centre in the early seventies to provide medical aid benefits to the University community and the dependents of the University employees.
- University of Kashmir
- Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology of Kashmir
- Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology of Jammu
- Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University
- Baba Ghulam Shah Badhshah University
- Islamic University of Science and Technology
- Central University of Kashmir
- Central University of Jammu
- Cluster University of Jammu
- Cluster University of Srinagar