University of Kentucky Solar Car Team
The University of Kentucky Solar Car Team is an independent, student-led project that operates as part of the University of Kentucky College of Engineering. In 2008, the Solar Car Team completed its first North American Solar Challenge, finishing 11th of 15 teams in the 2400 mile race from Plano, TX, USA to Calgary, AB, Canada. In 2009, the team placed 2nd (out of 11 teams) in the Formula Sun Grand Prix at the Texas Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX. In 2010, the team placed 9th in the American Solar Challenge, from Broken Arrow, OK to Naperville, IL.
To finance, design, build, and race solar-powered cars while developing team members through practical experience.
Membership is open to all University of Kentucky students (Undergraduate and Graduate), professors, and members of the community.
The Solar Car Team strives to:
- Continuously improve the safety, reliability, efficiency, and practicality of its vehicle.
- Develop the skills of teamwork, innovation, resourcefulness, communication, and leadership in its team members.
- Spread alternative energy awareness throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
The team has built three vehicles since its inception in 1999.
- Gato del Sol I - 4-wheels, BP Solar Cells, 7-layer fiberglass shell.
- ASC 2003: Passed Scrutineering, DNQ for rayce. Sportsmanship Award for loaning motor to CalSol's Solar Bear
- FSGP 2004: Placed 2nd in Stock Class
- Gato del Sol II - 3 wheels, 480 Sunpower A-300 cells, fiberglass/foam shell.
- NASC 2005: Passed Scrutineering, DNQ for rayce.
- Gato del Sol III - 3 wheels, 480 Sunpower A-300 cells (1200W Peak), fiberglass/foam shell, 27degree seating angle.
- Gato del Sol IV - 3 wheels, 2000 Emcore Advanced Triple-Junction Gallium Arsenide cells
- KETV Omaha
- USA Today, Sunny days ahead for solar car race, July 16, 2008
- Kentucky Living Magazine, Racing with the Sun, December 2008
- The Morehead News, Guardian hosts UK Solar Team, November 11, 2008
- Lexington Herald-Leader, UK Solar Car Builders Celebrate, July 28, 2008
- KMTV Omaha, Drivers Race Cross Country Without Gas, July 16, 2008
- University of Kentucky News, Solar Car Crosses Calgary Finish Line, July 23, 2008