University of La Verne College of Law
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|University of La Verne College of Law|
|Motto||Quality By Tradition|
|Parent school||University of La Verne|
|Location||Ontario, California, US|
|Enrollment||426 (Full- and part-time)|
|Bar pass rate||41% (July 2017 1st time takers)|
|ABA profile||University of La Verne College of Law|
In 2001, the law school established a new campus in downtown Ontario. It is near the Ontario Civic Center and the city library.
The school also offers two dual degree programs in conjunction with the University of La Verne College of Business and Public Management, the Juris Doctor/Master of Business Administration (JD/MBA) and Juris Doctor/Master of Public Administration (JD/MPA).
Accreditation and ABA approval
The College of Law first received provisional approval by the American Bar Association in 2006. Full approval was denied by the ABA in June 2011, as the first-time bar pass rate had not improved sufficiently. In March 2012, the ABA again granted provisional approval through 2017 following an extensive review of the law school’s program of legal education, faculty, admissions and student services, facilities and bar pass rate.
The school is "unranked" in the U.S. News & World Report, "Best Law Schools" report.
In The National Jurist: The Magazine for Law Students, La Verne Law was listed with a "B+" in the March 2011 "Diversity Honor Roll".
Law reviews, journals and publications
- University of La Verne Law Review ISSN 1944-382X OCLC 226246367
- Journal of Juvenile Law ISSN 0160-2098 OCLC 3367760
- Journal of Legal Advocacy & Practice ISSN 1534-5599 OCLC 42705442
- Inter alia OCLC 44514382
- Grand Jury Training (2003). Published by La Verne College of Law and the California Grand Jurors' Association (video seminar) OCLC 52204131
Legal clinics and student programs
The college of law opened a disability rights legal clinic in the Summer of 2007; it then opened a justice and immigration legal clinic. Additional programs for students include clinical externships and practicums in Family Law and Lawyering Skills.
The average Class of 2009 graduate had $101,237 of student loan debt.
The total cost of attendance (indicating the cost of tuition, fees, and living expenses) at La Verne for the 2013-2014 academic year was $67,549. For the 2013-2014 academic year, Law School Transparency estimated debt-financed cost of attendance for three years is $204,612.
According to the La Verne College of Law's official 2013 ABA-required disclosures, 62.8% of the Class of 2013 found employment nine months after graduation. 29.1% of the Class of 2013 found full-time, long-term, JD-required employment nine months after graduation, excluding solo-practitioners. La Verne's Law School Transparency under-employment score is 54.7%, indicating the percentage of the Class of 2013 unemployed, pursuing an additional degree, or working in a non-professional, short-term, or part-time job nine months after graduation.
Employment Outcomes': According to the law professor blog, The Faculty Lounge, based on 2012 ABA data, only 35.6% of graduates found full-time, long term positions requiring bar admission (i.e., jobs as lawyers), 9 months after graduation, ranking 185th out of 197 law schools.
- Jessica Dominguez, American immigration lawyer based in California
- Vernard Eller, American writer
- Randy Kirner, American politician and member of the Nevada Assembly
- Phil Esbenshade, Professional Skateboarder
- "U.S. News & World Report, "Best Law Schools: University of La Verne"". Retrieved April 14, 2011.
- University of La Verne College of Law Official ABA Data[permanent dead link]
- AALS Member and Fee Paid Schools
- La Verne Law Receives Cal Bar Accreditation
- "ABA-Approved Law Schools by Year". ABA website. Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- http://www.pe.com/localnews/sbcounty/stories/PE_Biz_D_lawschool14.35729bf.html. Missing or empty
- ABA Approved Law Schools
- "College of Law Earns Full ABA Accreditation | La Verne Law". law.laverne.edu. Retrieved 2016-03-17.
- Larsen, Rebecca (March 2011). "Most Diverse Law Schools (Diversity Honor Roll)". The National Jurist. San Diego, California: Cypress Magazines. 20 (6): 30–37
- PR Newswire "University of La Verne College of Law Opens Justice and Immigration Clinic"
- San Diego Daily Transcript, "SanDiegoSourceBook: University of La Verne College of Law"
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-01-13. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "La Verne Law Tuition".
- "Tuition and Expenses".
- "University of La Verne Profile".
- "ABA Disclosures".
- "La Verne Profile".
- Rosin, Gary. "Full Rankings: Bar Admission Required, Full-Time, Long Term", The Faculty Lounge, March 30, 2013. Retrieved on February 24, 2014, http://www.thefacultylounge.org/2013/03/-full-rankings-bar-admission-required-full-time-long-term.html. -- For the latest Employment Summary Reports from the American Bar Association, Section of Legal Education, see http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/
- "Employment Summary for 2013 Graduates".