University of Liechtenstein
||This college or university article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia guidelines for college and university articles. (October 2011)|
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2011)|
|University of Liechtenstein|
|Motto||Study with prospect|
The University of Liechtenstein is one of the four centers for higher education in the Principality of Liechtenstein. It focuses on two main fields of study. These are architecture and business economics. The University of Liechtenstein is located in Vaduz, the capital of the principality. The students and faculty come from over 40 countries, and the university has partnerships with over 80 other institutions.
- 1 History
- 2 Institutes
- 3 Graduate School
- 4 Bachelor, Master, and Doctorate Programs
- 5 Continuing Education Programs
- 6 Research and Development
- 7 Knowledge and Technology Transfers
- 8 Events
- 9 Exchange Programs
- 10 Tuition Fees
- 11 Location and Travel Information
- 12 External links
The University was founded in 1961 mainly for the teaching of mechanical and civil engineers which later evolved into the Liechtenstein School of Engineering.
In 1992 the establishment was formally recognized as the Liechtenstein University of Applied Sciences (Fachhochschule Liechtenstein) and became the Hochschule Liechtenstein in 2005. In 2008 the institution derived the status as a university and received the right to offer doctoral programs in addition to Bachelor's and Master's programs according to the Bologna process. This included further extensions of the university and research programs with other universities. In November 2010 the Liechtenstein Parliament adopted the law on the University of Liechtenstein that has been ratified on 1 February 2011.
About 1,200 students are studying at the university. Students and lecturers come from more than 40 countries and there are about 80 partnership agreements with universities worldwide. The very personal study and work environment is another characteristic.
- Architecture and Planning
- Financial Services
- Information Systems
Other ad-institutes[clarification needed]
- KMU Zentrum
- Liechtenstein Economic Research Center (KOFL)
The Graduate School is part of a new University model in Liechtenstein’s system of higher education. As an institutional structure, it represents all activities of the Master’s and Doctoral degree programs and works closely together with the institutes of the university. Teaching and research go hand in hand.
- Entrepreneurship - Growth and Complexity
- Financial Services - Wealth Management
- Information Systems - Business Process Management
- Architecture and Planning - Sustainable Planning and Construction
With its degree programs in the areas of architecture and business economics, the Graduate School offers students a start to a career with primarily research-based activities. At the same time, a great deal of attention is paid to the practical relevance of the degree programs.
Bachelor, Master, and Doctorate Programs
The study programs at the University of Liechtenstein are structured according to the bachelor’s-master’s-doctorate system recognized worldwide in accordance with the Bologna Process.
The Bachelor’s degree program leads to a first professional qualification at an institution of higher education. The bachelor programs consist of at least six semesters (180 ECTS). The following academic degrees/titles are awarded:
- Bachelor of Science in Architecture - BSc Arch
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - BSc
- Bachelor of Science in Business Information Systems - BSc
The Master’s degree program provides in-depth study and specialization in the designated subject. The master programs last for a minimum of four semesters (120 ECTS). The following academic degrees/titles are currently awarded:
- Master of Science in Architecture - MSc Arch
- Master of Science in Entrepreneurship - MSc Entrepreneurship
- Master of Science in Business Process Management - MSc
- Master of Science in Banking and Financial Management - MSc
The University of Liechtenstein's Master program in Entrepreneurship was ranked 2nd in an international ranking (CH/AT/FL) in 2009. The Architecture program received 1st place in 2008 in an international ranking (CH/AT/FL/DE) from the magazine DETAIL.
The doctorate may be acquired in the third program of studies:
- Doctor of Philosophy - PhD / DoktorIn der Wirtschaftswissenschaften - Dr. rer. oec.
- Doctor of Philosophy - PhD / DoktorIn der Wissenschaft - Dr. scient.
The doctorate program lasts for a minimum of three years.
Continuing Education Programs
The multifaceted offerings include executive master’s and university programs, symposiums and conferences as well as lectures and seminars.
Research and Development
Institutes and research foci of the university are:
- Architecture and Planning: Sustainable Design, Architectural Design Theory and Sustainable Urban Design and Planning
- Entrepreneurship: Family Business, Entrepreneurial Growth, Entrepreneurial Finance, Strategy, Knowledge Management, Change Management, International Management, Technology and Innovation
- Financial Services: Wealth Management (Banking, Finance, Tax, Law)
- Information Systems: Business Process Management, Enterprise Content Management, Risk Management, E-Learning and Social Networking. The university is associated member in the European Research Center for Information Systems.
- Liechtenstein Economic Research Center (KOFL): Economy and Growth, Public Finance, Macroeconomics and Financial Markets
Knowledge and Technology Transfers
Research documentation is supplied by research database information. All chairs and researchers, their research achievements, publications, research projects and partners are documented. The information also serves the purpose of research evaluation and can be found under R&D documentation on the University's website.
At the University of Liechtenstein, budding researchers can scientifically investigate subjects relating to the research focus areas of the university within the framework of doctoral degree programs.
The Spinnerei Student Office organizes all kinds of events for the students of the university. They welcome contributions from all students. There is a calendar on their homepage where all students may enter events (sports, parties, study groups, etc.) that they wish to share with their colleagues.
The ULSV (University of Liechtenstein Student Council) is interested in improving both the academic and social experiences for the students of the university. They are available and encourage students to come to them with ideas or challenges. They work together with the school's administration to make every student's experience at the Uni great!
START Liechtenstein is a student organization that supports the students in their entrepreneurial ideas. It provides them with connections to the real business environment. They combine theory with practical experience.
The Alumni Club is for the Alumni of the University of Liechtenstein.
The University of Liechtenstein has many partner universities located all over the world.
The tuition fees for Bachelor-, Master- and Doctorate studies amount to 850CHF each semester. Exchange students from the ERASMUS program pay tuition at their home universities and incur no extra tuition fees from the University of Liechtenstein.
Location and Travel Information
The campus, located above Vaduz at the site of the former Spoerry cotton mill, is reached by public and private transportation.