University of London Boat Club
|University of London Boat Club|
|Motto||Rowing Through Excellence|
|Location||Chiswick, London, UK|
|Henley Royal Regatta (33 wins)|
University of London Boat Club (ULBC or UL) is the rowing club at the University of London with membership open to students of all of its constituent Colleges (and of their own boat clubs). The club has its boat house on the River Thames in Chiswick, London, United Kingdom.
|This section requires expansion. (February 2013)|
The club was formed in the mid-1860s, and since 1950 has won 33 Henley Regatta finals, produced 125 full internationals winning 363 vests[n 1], achieving a total of 74 medals: 21 gold, 19 silver and 34 bronze. At U23 Internationals and World Student Games events the club has won 177 vests and produced 30 medal-winning crews (9 gold, 9 silver and 12 bronze).
The club achieved the first non-Durham Winner of the Games Prize in 2014 at the BUCS University Rowing Competition and both Durham and UL tend to row more frequently together than Oxford or Cambridge combined colleges crews. A number of its members are national-representative rowers and scullers.
Alumni and wider participation
The club shares its facilities with an active and supportive rowing alumni club, Tyrian Club which began as a selective club but in common with various community-minded sports initiatives across British universities became open to a wide range of non-novice adults in the early 2010s with its own designated blades and training programme.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
- Katie Greves - World Rowing Championship 2007 & 2011 Bronze, Olympic 2012 finalist W8+
- Maurice Hayes - former coach and now British Rowing Resources Manager
- Frances Houghton - Four times World Champion and double Olympic silver medallist, 2004-2010 – women’s quadruple scull 
- Nathaniel Reilly-O'Donnell - World Champion 2014 in Men's Eight, Silver in 2011. World U23 Championships 2010 Silver M4-, World U23 Championships 2009 Bronze M8+, World Junior Championships 2006 Gold M4- 
- Tim Foster - Olympic Gold Medalist in 2000
- Cameron Nichol - World Rowing Championship 2010 & 2011 Silver. Cameron learnt to row at University of London and won the Prince Albert Challenge Cup in 2007.
- Richard Budgett - Olympic Gold Medalist in 1984.
- Matt Wells - Olympic Bronze Medalist in 2008
- Paul Bennett - World Champion 2014 in the Men's Eight.
- Jessica Eddie - World Rowing Championship 2007 & 2011 Bronze, Olympic 2008 & 2012 finalist W8+
College boat clubs
As with other collegiate universities, the University of London's colleges have their own boat clubs.
- King's College London Boat Club[n 3]
London School of Economics Boat Club
Queen Mary, University of London Boat Club[n 4]
Royal Free and University College Medical School Boat Club
Royal Holloway College Boat Club[n 5]
- Royal Veterinary College Boat Club
- St Bartholomew's and the Royal London Hospitals' Boat Club (BLBC)[n 6]
Notes and references
- Positions in national boats
- Land training of ICSMBC is at Imperial College Boat Club, Putney
- KCLBC inc. Guys and St Thomas' Hospitals. Boat at Tideway Scullers School (a club 100m downstream of the UL boathouse)
- Based at the London Regatta Centre, London Docklands
- Land training at Egham
- Land training in September at the London Regatta Centre, Docklands
- Land training of UCLBC is at Bloomsbury campus
- "Boat Club Wins prestigious cup, Alumni to compete in London 2012". ULU Student Union. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Tyrian Club". Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Katie Greves". British Rowing. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Maurice Hayes". British Rowing. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Frances Houghton". British Rowing. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Nathaniel Reilly-O'Donnell". British Rowing. Retrieved 10 February 2013.