University of Malakand
An aerial view of Malakand University
Motto in English
|University at Glance...'|
|Chancellor||Governor of Khyber–Pakhtunkhwa|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Johar Ali|
|Registrar||Dr.Syed Mohammad Jamal|
|Location||Lower Dir, Malakand Division, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan|
|Colours||Green, Gold, Cyan|
The 'University of Malakand' (Urdu: یونیورسٹی آف ملاکنڈ); abbreviated as 'UOM'), is a public university located in the banks of the Swat river and the rural area of Lower Dir district of the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan.
Founded in 2001, the university offers undergraduate, post-graduate and doctoral programmes in various academic disciplines. As of 2010, the university secured its place at the general category and ranked "seventh" by the HEC.
History and background
The need for a University in Malakand Division has been a felt since 1972, but due to political polarizations between different political parties, the idea could not be materialized until 2001.
After the announcement some legal points were raised by the provincial law department regarding establishing a university in the Provincially Administered Tribal Area under Article 247 of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, a very old impediment in opening a University in the area since 1973.
The issue was resolved by the President of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan who permitted the university through a Presidential Regulation. Hence, in a sense this is the only university in Pakistan chartered by the highest seats of power in the country, the President of Islamic Republic of Pakistan and the Governor of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
The provincial Government, through a Gazette Notification No P-III dated 27 October 2001 (Extra Ordinary) formally announced a University for Lower Dir District on the premises of the defunct D.F.I.C (Dir Forest Industries Complex) at Chakdara.
- Dr.Jahandar Shah
- Prof. Dr. Mohammad Iqbal (September 2007 − April 2008)
- Prof. Dr. Rasul Jan (April 2008 − )
- 1. Session (2001–2005), Date 10th Feb, 2007
- 2. Session (2002–2006),
- 3. Session (2003–2007),
- 4. Session (2004–2008), Date 28 June 2012
- 5. Session (2005–2009),
- 6. Session (2006–2010),
- 7. Session (2007-2011), Date 15 Oct, 2012
Currently, Master of Science and Master of Arts programmes are also ongoing but no convocation has been held for them.
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Bio-Technology
- Department of Botany
- Department of Computer Science/IT
- Department of Economics
- Department of Education
- Department of English
- Department of Geology
- Department of Islamic Studies
- Department of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Department of Law
- Department of Management Studies
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Pashto and Oriental Languages
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Physics
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Sociology/Social Work[clarification needed]
- Department of Software Engineering
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Tourism and Hotel Management
- Department of Zoology
- Google maps. "Address and location of Malakand University". Google map services. Google Pakistan, Inc. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- UoM. "Academic degree programmes offers". Malakand University Press. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- HEC. "Quality and Research based Ranking of Pakistan's HEIs". Higher Education Commission. Retrieved 30 December 2013.