University of Medicine, Magway
|Motto||ဥပဌာနံ အနုကမ္မာ ဒယာ
(Pali: upaṭhānaṃ, anukammā, dayā)
Motto in English
|Service, Sympathy, Humanity|
|Established||May 22, 2001|
|Location||Magway, Magway Region, Myanmar|
|Affiliations||Ministry of Health|
The University of Medicine, Magway (Burmese: ဆေးတက္ကသိုလ် (မကွေး), pronounced: [sʰé tɛʔkəθò (məɡwé)]) located in Magway, is one of five universities of medicine in Myanmar. The university offers an M.B.,B.S. degree program, and master's degree programs in medical science.
Up to 2011 December, the Ministry of Health-administered university was one of the most selective in the country, and accepts each year approximately 600 undergraduate students outside of Yangon Region and Mandalay Region based on their University Entrance Examination scores.
As it was the only university of medicine in the country that accepts students from the rest of the country, the university was reputed to have the most economically, culturally and ethnically diverse student population as the Union University, ပြည်ထောင်စု ဆေးတက္ကသိုလ်, among all Burmese universities of medicine. But, when educational reforms are started under the New Regime, the numbers of fresher candidates is reduced to 99 (2012 December) and those fresher students are from Magway Region, Shan State(East), Rakhine State, Bago Region (West). The fresher students from Lower Myanmar are relocated to University of Medicine 2, Yangon, and those from Kachin State, Chin State and Sagaing Region are to University of Medicine Mandalay.
University of Medicine, Magway, is one of 4 schools in Myanmar recognized by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates.
- 1 Undergraduate curriculum
- 2 Graduate curriculum
- 3 Teaching hospitals
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
First Year M.B.,B.S.
Second Year M.B.,B.S.
Third Year M.B.,B.S.
Students are also posted for 18 weeks each to the medical and surgical wards for clinical training.
Final Part One M.B.,B.S.
Final Part Two M.B.,B.S.
- Medical Ward
- Surgery Ward (Including Orthopedic and Operation Theater)
- O and G Ward
- Pediatric Ward
- Field Research Department
All the government hospitals in Myanmar which have at least 4 specialties centers can be regarded as a field place for interns.
House officer training
All students, after a successful completion of Final Part II examination, are required to continue with hands-on training for a period of one year as house surgeons in state-recognized teaching hospitals in Yangon and/ r the State and Division Hospitals. Training periods are:
|Child Health||2 ½ months|
|Community Medicine||2 weeks|
|Medicine (including Psychiatry)||3 months|
|Obstetrics & Gynaecology||3 months|
|Surgery(including Traumatology)||3 months|
House Officers must take their training in one of the teaching hospitals in the following cities:
- Magway မကွေး
- Monywa မုံရွာ
- Mawlamyine မော်လမြိုင်
- Taunggyi တောင်ကြီး
- Lashio လားရှိုး
- Kyaingtong ကျိုင်းတုံ
- Myitkyina မြစ်ကြီးနား
- Hpa-An ဘားအံ
- Dawei ထားဝယ်
- Myeik မြိတ်
- Pathein ပုသိမ်
- Maubin မအူပင်
- Pyay ပြည်
- Taungoo တောင်ငူ
- Sittwe စစ်တွေ
- Meiktila မိတ္ထီလာ
- Pakokku ပခုက္ကူ
- Naypyitaw နေပြည်တော်
The House Officers can apply,if they wished, for the transfer to Yangon and Mandalay Hospitals after one ward completion in Training Hospitals under University of Medicine, Magway.
- At the end of the 1st MB course, the student should be able to:
- At the end of the 2nd MB course, the student should be able to:
- Choose correct statement regarding respect of dead body and specimen.
- Choose correct statement regarding research ethics
- Choose correct statement regarding informed consent
- At the end of the 3rd MB course, the student should be able to:
- Be aware of biomedical ethics
- Safely handle infectious agents
- Describe rational prescribing (NNT, RRR, APR)
- Prescribe safely
- Conduct appropriate bedside manner
- Identify health care errors and their causes
- At the end of the FP I course, the student should be able to describe:
- Code of conduct (medical/ethical)
- Serious medical misconduct
- Medical negligence (civil and criminal)
- Formation and function of MMC
- Patient safety concepts
- How to take consent for post-mortem examination
- Public health ethics and their importance
- Communication skills concerning specimen collection
- Ethical principle of respect for the death
- After the end of the Final Part II, the students should be able to:
- Demonstrate effective and ethical communications skills in patient management
- Be aware of patient safety concepts & ethical principles in clinical management decision making and ethical dilemmas
- After the end of the internship, the candidates should be able to:
- Apply patient safety concepts and ethical principles in clinical management decision making and ethical dilemmas
- Magway Regional Hospital
- Minbu District Teaching Hospital
- University Teaching Hospital
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of Medicine, Magway.|
- National Health Plan (2006–2011), Ministry of Health, Human Resources for Health Development Project, pg 252.
- Official University website
- University Of Medicine, Magway on Facebook
- List of Universities registered under WHO
- WHO/SEARO special support to health institutions in Myanmar