University of Michigan School of Public Health
|Location||Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA|
The University of Michigan School of Public Health is one of the professional graduate schools of the University of Michigan. Located in Ann Arbor, Michigan UM SPH is one of the oldest schools of public health in the country and is also considered one of the top schools focusing on health in the United States. Founded in 1941, the University of Michigan School of Public Health grew out of the University of Michigan's degree programs in public health, some of which date back to the 19th century.
The School's mission statement was updated in 2011.
According to the 2011 US News report on graduate programs, the University of Michigan School of Public Health is ranked as the #4 School of Public Health in the country and also has the #1 Healthcare Management program in the country.
The Master's in Public Health Program - MPH is offered in five departments of the school (each of which has various program concentrations):
- Environmental Health Sciences
- Health Behavior and Health Education
- Health Management and Policy
Other degree programs offered by departments include:
- Biostatistics: MS, PhD
- Environmental Health: MS, PhD
- Epidemiology: MS, PhD
- Health Behavior and Health Education: PhD
- Health Policy and Management: MS, MHSA, PhD
(MS and PhD programs are offered under the aegis of the University of Michigan Rackham School of Graduate Studies.)
Starting in 2012, a master's program in Health Informatics is being offered jointly by the School of Information and School of Public Health at the University of Michigan.
The Master of Health Informatics (MHI) is a 52 credit degree open to applicants from any academic or professional background. The degree is a residential on-campus program that includes internship experience. Students who complete this Masters will be equipped with the tools necessary to be successful leaders in the health informatics field. Key areas that make the program stand out are its focus in leadership, consumer health informatics applications, and system-related human and organizational issues.
There is also a Graduate Certificate in Health Informatics (GCHI). This is an 18 credit graduate certificate program that is concentrated in the Schools of Information and Public Health. It is available to students enrolled in any graduate or professional program at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor. An application is not required, however students must fill out an academic planning form that demonstrates their ability to complete the requirements for the graduate certificate in addition to their degree program.
Another relatively new program is offered completely online: Certificate in the Foundations of Public Health.
Notable faculty (and past faculty)
- Jonas Salk, Developer of the Polio Vaccine
- Thomas Francis, Jr. Mentor of Jonas Salk; ran field trials of oral polio vaccine that deemed in safe and effective
- John R Griffith, Andrew Pattullo Collegiate Professor in the Department of Health Management and Policy and co-author of The Well-Managed Health Care Organization
- George Kaplan, Social Epidemiologist
- Neal Krause, Health Behavior & Health Education
- Paula Lantz, Past Chair of the Department of Health Management and Policy
- Ken Warner, Past Dean of the School of Public Health, who worked successfully to implement a non-smoking University of Michigan campus on July 1, 2011.
- Victor Strecher, Founder of HealthMedia and 2010 University of Michigan Distinguished Innovator
Notable Alumni and Current Students
- Larry Brilliant, Head of the Google Foundation (Google.org)
- Julio Frenk, Former Minister of Health in Mexico and current dean of Harvard School of Public Health
- David Michael Green, MacArthur Foundation Fellow
- Albert H. Wheeler, First African-American Mayor of Ann Arbor, MI
- Shervin Assari, Ranked 4 among 31,000 peer reviewers by Publons, and Chair of Associate Members Committee, American College of Epidemiology
- About UM SPH
- US News & World Report - Education: Grad Schools: Public Health Ranking - USNews.com
- US News & World Report - Breaking News, World News, Business News, and America's Best Colleges - USNews.com