University of Michigan School of Public Health
|Location||Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA|
The University of Michigan School of Public Health is one of the professional graduate schools of the University of Michigan. Located in Ann Arbor, Michigan UM SPH is one of the oldest schools of public health in the country and is also considered one of the top schools focusing on health in the United States. Founded in 1941, the University of Michigan School of Public Health grew out of the University of Michigan's degree programs in public health, some of which date back to the 19th century.
The School's mission statement was updated in 2011.
According to the 2011 US News report on graduate programs, the University of Michigan School of Public Health is ranked as the #4 School of Public Health in the country and also has the #1 Healthcare Management program in the country.
Notable faculty (and past faculty)
- Jonas Salk, Developer of the Polio Vaccine
- Thomas Francis, Jr. Mentor of Jonas Salk; ran field trials of oral polio vaccine that deemed in safe and effective
- John R Griffith, Andrew Pattullo Collegiate Professor in the Department of Health Management and Policy and co-author of The Well-Managed Health Care Organization
- George Kaplan, Social Epidemiologist
- Neal Krause, Health Behavior & Health Education
- Paula Lantz, Past Chair of the Department of Health Management and Policy
- Ken Warner, Past Dean of the School of Public Health, who worked successfully to implement a non-smoking University of Michigan campus on July 1, 2011.
- Marc A. Zimmerman, Former chair Health Behavior & Health Education, Director of the Prevention Research Center and Michigan Youth Violence Prevention Center
Notable Alumni and Current Students
- Larry Brilliant, Head of the Google Foundation (Google.org)
- Julio Frenk, Former Minister of Health in Mexico and current dean of Harvard School of Public Health
- David Michael Green, MacArthur Foundation Fellow
- Albert H. Wheeler, First African-American Mayor of Ann Arbor, MI
- Shervin Assari, Ranked 4 among 31,000 peer reviewers by Publons, and Chair of Associate Members Committee, American College of Epidemiology
- About UM SPH
- US News & World Report - Education: Grad Schools: Public Health Ranking - USNews.com
- US News & World Report - Breaking News, World News, Business News, and America's Best Colleges - USNews.com