University of Nanking
The University of Nanking, known in Chinese as Jinling University (金陵大学, Jinling being another name for Nanking) was a private university in Nanking, China. The University of Nanking was founded in 1888 and sponsored by American churches. Its original English name was Nanking University, the first educational institution in China officially named "university" in English.
The Nanking University (汇文书院, Huiwen Shuyuan) was founded in 1888 by C.H. Fowler. Initially there were three faculties: liberal arts, divinity and medicine. In 1910, The Nanking University merged The Union Christian College (宏育书院, Hongyu Shuyuan, formed in 1900 by the merger of The Christian College (基督书院, Jidu Shuyuan, founded in 1891) and The Presbyterian College (益智书院, Yizhi Shuyuan, founded in 1894)) and changed the name to Private University of Nanking (金陵大学), and was registered with the New York State Education Department.
- Ching Chun Li, geneticist, Chairman of American Society of Human Genetics.
- Choh Hao Li, biologist, biochemist. His achievements include isolating and synthesizing the human pituitary growth hormone. He received many honors including Lasker Award.
- Choh-Ming Li, educationist, economist.
- Francois Cheng, writer, poet. A "Bridge Between Eastern and Western Culture".
- T. C. Tso, agriculturalist, tobacco scientist.
- Te-Tzu Chang, agriculturalist. Member of Academia Sinica. He receives Tyler Prize in 1999.
- Thome H. Fang, philosopher.
- W. B. Pettus, educator.
- Wu Teh Yao, educationist, politics scholar.
- Zhang Zhiwen, agriculturist, Vice Director General of FAO of United Nations.
- Charles W. Woodworth, Professor Emeritus and founder of the Entomology Division U.C. Berkeley (1891-1930) was a lecturer in Entomology during his sabbatical in 1918. He was there then again between 1921-4. See the C. W. Woodworth Award.
- Albin Bro, fourth president of Shimer College.
- Pearl S. Buck, writer.
- Zou Bingwen, agriculturist, the Vice Chairman of Organising Committee of Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.