University of NorthWest
- For educational institutions with similar names, see Northwest University (disambiguation) and Northwestern University (disambiguation).
University of NorthWest, established in 2001, is a provider of distance education that offers academic degrees in several fields. Additionally, its website states that it offers classes at 'learning centers' in Canada, China, Bangladesh, Ireland, India, Kenya, Lebanon, Malaysia, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Russia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand and the United Kingdom. In the summer of 2010, the Oregon Office of Degree Authorization reported that the University of NorthWest was actively engaged in Afghanistan.
NorthWest's promotional materials state that it is incorporated in the United States, but that it is "not accredited by an accreditation agency approved by the US Department of Education". Allen Ezell's 2007 book Accreditation Mills discusses the institution as an example of a 'degree mill'. It is listed as an unaccredited institution by the education agencies in Oregon and Maine. In addition to being unaccredited, it is illegal to use its degrees in Texas.
In 2009, it was listed as registered with the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.
- "Unaccredited colleges". Oregon State Office of Degree Authorization. 2010. Archived from the original on 11 October 2007. Retrieved 29 July 2010.
- "MBA for Executive" (PDF). University of NorthWest. Retrieved 26 June 2010.
- Ezell, Allen (2007). "Accreditation Mills". American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. Archived from the original on June 13, 2014. Retrieved 26 June 2010.
- "Non-Accredited Colleges & Universities List: Univ - VI". Maine Department of Education. 2007. Retrieved 26 June 2010.
- "Institutions Whose Degrees are Illegal to Use in Texas". Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. May 2010. Retrieved 26 June 2010.
- Ezell, Allen (2009), "Recent developments with degree mills" (PDF), College & University Journal (Vol85 No 2): 40