UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health
|UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health|
|Former names||School of Public Health|
|Location||University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, U.S.
The UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health is an American university program offering undergraduate and graduate education in various fields of public health and allied sectors. It is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health .
Formerly known as The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC) School of Public Health, The institution was ranked equal second by the 2016 U.S. News & World Report, after the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and tied with the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
The UNC Division of Public Health was organized in 1936 within the UNC School of Medicine. Separate status as a school of public health was granted in 1939, making the School the first school of public health established within a state university. The school awarded its first graduate degrees in 1940.
Milton Rosenau became the first director of the Division of Public Health in 1936 and served as the first dean of the School from 1939 to 1946. In 1949, both the UNC School of Dentistry and UNC School of Nursing were added. Along with the Schools of Public Health, Medicine and Pharmacy, the five schools formally became the University's Division of Health Affairs.
- "Best Public Health Programs | Top Public Health Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools". grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- Korstad, Robert Rodgers (1990). Dreaming of a time: the School of Public Health: the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1939-1989. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina.
- "The University of North Carolina Record | Division of Public Health of the School of Medicine | 1936". digitalnc.org/. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
- "School History". sph.unc.edu/resource-pages/about-the-school/. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
- UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health
- "UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health: Meeting the Public Health Challenges of the 21st Century", an online exhibition