UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health
|School of Public Health|
The UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health is an American university program offering undergraduate and graduate education in various fields of public health and allied sectors. It is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health .
Formerly known as The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC) School of Public Health, The institution was ranked equal second by the 2016 U.S. News & World Report, after the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and tied with the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
The institution now offers an online Master of Public Health program, MPH@UNC.
The UNC Division of Public Health was organized in 1936 within the UNC School of Medicine. Separate status as a school of public health was granted in 1939, making the School the first school of public health established within a state university. The school awarded its first graduate degrees in 1940.
Milton Rosenau became the first director of the Division of Public Health in 1936 and served as the first dean of the School from 1939 to 1946. In 1949, both the UNC School of Dentistry and UNC School of Nursing were added. Along with the Schools of Public Health, Medicine and Pharmacy, the five schools formally became the University's Division of Health Affairs.
In 2018, the Gillings School launched its online Master of Public Health program.
Online Master of Public Health Program
The Master of Publich Health program consists of live online classes in an interactive online campus. Students complete a practicum in an approved setting, such as Pioneer Community Hospital. The Gillings School also offers an online, fully accredited Master of Public Health/Registered Dietitian (MPH/RD) program for aspiring clinical dietitians.
- "Best Public Health Programs | Top Public Health Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools". grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- "MPH@UNC". Retrieved 2018-07-26.
- Korstad, Robert Rodgers (1990). Dreaming of a time: the School of Public Health: the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1939-1989. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina.
- "The University of North Carolina Record | Division of Public Health of the School of Medicine | 1936". digitalnc.org/. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
- "School History". sph.unc.edu/resource-pages/about-the-school/. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
- "The University of North Carolina Gillings School of Global Public Health, the Nation's Leading Public School of Public Health, Opens Applications for a New Online Master's Degree". Retrieved 2018-11-27.
- Writers, Staff. "Online Public Health Programs in North Carolina | Your 2018 Guide". PublicHealth.org. Retrieved 2019-01-02.
- "MPH@UNC". onlinemph.unc.edu. Retrieved 2019-01-02.
- "University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill- Master of Healthcare Administration, Accreditation, Applying, Tuition & Financial Aid". Top Master's in Healthcare Administration. Retrieved 2019-01-02.
- "Online RD Program". onlinemph.unc.edu. Retrieved 2019-01-02.
- UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health
- "UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health: Meeting the Public Health Challenges of the 21st Century", an online exhibition