UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health
|UNC School of Public Health|
|Preceding agency||UNC Division of Public Health (1936-1939)|
|Type||Public health school|
|University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill|
The UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health is the public health school at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, a public research university in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. It offers undergraduate and graduate degrees and is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health.
The UNC Division of Public Health was organized in 1936 within the UNC School of Medicine. Separate status as a school of public health was granted in 1940, making the school the first school of public health established within a state university. The school awarded its first graduate degrees in 1940.
Milton Rosenau became the first director of the Division of Public Health in 1936 and served as the first dean of the School from 1939 to 1946. In 1949, both the UNC School of Dentistry and UNC School of Nursing were added. Along with the Schools of Public Health, Medicine and Pharmacy, the five schools formally became the University's Division of Health Affairs.
In 2020, the school focused its resources on combating the spread of the COVID-19 global pandemic, with various research teams tackling a broad range of topics including vaccines, testing, epidemiology, biostatistics, health policy and more.
In 2018, the Gillings School launched its online Master of Public Health program.
- Mandy Cohen, physician and health official
- "US News and World Report - Best Public Health Programs - Top Health Schools". U.S. News and World Report.
- Korstad, Robert Rodgers (1990). Dreaming of a time: the School of Public Health: the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1939-1989. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina.
- "The University of North Carolina Record | Division of Public Health of the School of Medicine | 1936". digitalnc.org/. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
- "School History". sph.unc.edu/resource-pages/about-the-school/. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
- "Coronavirus Affects Everyone - The Gillings School Responds". UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health.
- "The University of North Carolina Gillings School of Global Public Health, the Nation's Leading Public School of Public Health, Opens Applications for a New Online Master's Degree". Retrieved 2018-11-27.