University of Nueva Caceres
|Unibersidad kan Nueva Caceres
Universidad de Nueva Caceres
|Nueva Caceres Colleges (1948)|
|Motto||Non Scholæ Sed Vitæ (Latin)|
Motto in English
|"Not of School but of Life"|
|Type||Private non-sectarian University
60% stake owned by the
(68 years and 134 days)
|Founder||Dr. Jaime Hernandez|
|President||Alfredo I. Ayala
(July 28, 2015 - Present)
3rd University President
(All levels as of 2013)
|Location||J. Hernandez Avenue,
Naga City, Camarines Sur, Philippines
|Campus||UNC Main Campus
J. Hernandez Avenue,
UNC Bataan Campus
Rizal St. Dinalupihan, Bataan
|Alma Mater Song||UNC Hymn|
|Colors||Red and Gray|
|Athletics||Naga City Inter-Collegiate Basketball Tournament
Private Schools Athletic Association (Philippines)
The University of Nueva Caceres (UNC), the first university in southern Luzon (outside Metro Manila), is a private non-sectarian university run by the Ayala Corporation in Naga City in Bicol Region, Philippines. Founded in 1948, it offers pre-school, elementary, high school, undergraduate, and graduate programs.
Founded by Dr. Jaime Hernandez in 1948, it has grown to become one of the leading institutions of higher learning in the country. The campus is centrally located in the City of Naga, Camarines Sur, Philippines. The University has one of the biggest student populations in the Bicol Region and offers courses from Kinder to Graduate levels. All course offerings are recognized by the government and the Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Education and Commerce are accredited by the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities Commission on Accreditation (PACU-COA). Its College of Engineering and Architecture is now one of the few regional centers for technological education in the Philippines. The university's academic standards have been proven by alumni who have performed well in government Board and Bar examinations.
- 1 Ayala Education
- 2 LINC
- 3 History
- 4 University Seal
- 5 University Motto
- 6 UNC Greyhounds
- 7 University President
- 8 Board of Trustees
- 9 H/s Principal
- 10 Academics
- 10.1 College of Arts and Sciences
- 10.2 College of Business and Accountancy
- 10.3 College of Criminal Justice Education(2012)
- 10.4 College of Computer Studies
- 10.5 College of Education
- 10.6 College of Engineering and Architecture
- 10.7 College of Nursing
- 10.8 School of Graduate Studies
- 10.9 College of Law
- 11 Publications
- 12 Community Extension
- 13 Student Services
- 13.1 Guidance Center
- 13.2 Campus Ministry
- 13.3 Office of the Director for Student Affairs
- 13.4 Speech Clinic
- 13.5 Museum
- 13.6 Research Center
- 13.7 Instructional Media Center
- 13.8 Review Room
- 13.9 Student Pavilion
- 13.10 University Post Office
- 13.11 Library Services
- 13.12 Food Services
- 13.13 Health Services
- 13.14 Forensics and Dramatics
- 13.15 Laboratories
- 13.16 Computer Center
- 13.17 Alumni Center
- 13.18 Placement Office
- 14 Student Government
- 15 Notable Alumni
- 16 References
- 17 External links
On July 28, 2015 press release the AYALA Group has raised its stake in the Philippine education sector by investing P450 Million to acquire 60 percent of University of Nueva Caceres one of the universities in the Bicol Region 
As a result of Ayala Education’s investment of Pesos 450 million, it will hold the majority of UNC’s board seats. In addition, UNC appointed Ayala Education’s CEO, Mr. Alfredo Ayala, as its President.
Ayala Corporation started investing in the education sector in 2012 through 100% owned Ayala Education, after recognizing the strong demand for Filipino talent from the IT-BPO and other service industries, such as banking, telecom, retail and tourism.
Ayala Education has also been pioneering Senior High School since 2013 through its LINC (Learning with Industry Collaboration) Academy’s partnerships with Emilio Aguinaldo College and Arellano University. When they graduate, LINC students have the skills needed to either succeed in college or enter the professional workforce directly.
Ayala Education has also formed a majority owned joint venture, Affordable Private Education Center (APEC), with Pearson, the world's leading learning company, to build a chain of low-cost secondary schools that provide quality education with affordable annual school fees. Since it started in 2013, APEC has grown to a total of 23 schools, with 3,400 students across Metro Manila, Rizal, Cavite and Batangas, offering Grades 7 and 8 for less than P70 a day, inclusive of use of books and computers.
Ayala Corporation started investing in education after recognizing the large demand for Filipino talent in the services sector, which comprises 54% of all the jobs available in the Philippines. Ayala operates in various industries, including banking, retail, real estate, telecommunications, information technology, automotive, business process outsourcing, electronics, and utilities.
LINC, or Learning with Industry Collaboration, is the Senior High School Academic Program at the University of Nueva Caceres in Naga City, Bicol.
In February 1948, Dr. Jaime Hernandez invited prominent Bicolanos to join him as incorporators. May 9, 1948 among those who signed the incorporation papers in were Dr. Jaime Hernandez, Atty. Jaime Reyes, Ambassador Jose T. Fuentebella, Atty. Edmundo Cea, Atty. Buenaventura Blancaflor, Engr. Nicole Tado Sr., Atty. Juan F. Trivino, Atty. Antonio M. Sison, Dr. Manuel Abella and Dr. Domingo Abella. The Securities and Exchange Commission approved the incorporators on May 18, 1948.
Thus the school officially started operation on July 1, 1948 as the Nueva Caceres Colleges. The initial courses offered were Liberal Arts, Commerce, Education and high school with a total enrollment of 958. The students of the newly opened school had their classes in the rented Flordeliza Building fronting the public kiosk (now Plaza Quezon) and the Governor Andres Hernandez residence along Burgos Street (now Grand Imperial Plaza).
In the ensuing years, additional courses were opened: elementary (1949), graduate school (1953), law (1951), engineering (1949), nursing (defunct 1955–2005), secretarial (1955) and kindergarten (1993).
In September 1951, the university administration headed by Dr. Hernandez took the first giant step since its foundation. It acquired the Rey property and transformed it from a marshland to its present condition. By early 1952 almost half of the site was filled and buildings began to rise. Most Rev. Pedro P. Santos blessed the new campus and the first two buildings, the original Dato Hall and Alba Hall on July 11, 1952. Other buildings were soon built to address the needs of a growing student population. At present, under the leadership of university president Dr. Dolores H. Sison, there is an ongoing multi-million infrastructure program to further modernize the institution.
The University Seal is circular in shape with two concentric circles. The outer circle contains the name UNIVERSITY OF NUEVA CACERES and on the lower portion of the University - CITY OF NAGA and below it the year of the foundation of the University, 1948. Inside the inner circle is a U shaped figure with a TORCH at the center symbolizing education. Just below the torch are the three famous landmarks of the Bikol region: Mt. Isarog, Mayon Volcano and Mt. Bulusan. Across these figures is a ribbon containing the Latin words: NON SCHOLAE SED VITAE (Not of School but of Life). The predominant colors are RED and GRAY, the official colors of the University.
Non Scholæ Sed Vitæ is a Latin phrase. Its longer form is non scholæ sed vitæ discimus, which means "We do not learn for school, but for life". The scholae and vitae are first-declension feminine datives of purpose.
The motto is an inversion of the original, which appeared in Seneca the Younger's Moral Letters to Lucilius around AD 65. It appears in an occupatio passage wherein Seneca imagines Lucilius's objections to his arguments. Non vitae sed scholae discimus ("We learn [such literature] not for life but for classtime") was thus already a complaint, the implication being that Lucilius would argue in favor of more practical education and that mastery of literature was overrated. During the early 19th century, this was emended in Hungary and Germany to non scholae, sed vitae discendum est ("We must learn not for school but for life").
The University of Nueva Caceres, for many years now, have chosen the label "Greyhound" to be the official tag of the school.
Board of Trustees
- Chairman - Felicito Payumo
- Vice Chairman - Alfredo I. Ayala
- Carlos H. Ravanera
- Rosalie A. Dimaano
- Felipe P. Estrella III
- Eleanor S. Salumbre
- Charlene C. Tapic-Castro
College of Arts and Sciences
- BS Biology
- BS Environmental Science
- BS Mathematics
- AB Mathematics
- AB Literature
- AB Political Science
- AB Psychology
College of Business and Accountancy
- BS Accountancy
- BS Hotel and Restaurant Management
- BS Travel Management (2014)
- BS Business Administration
- Major in
- Business Economics
- Financial Accounting
- Financial Management
- Human Resource Development Management
- Marketing Management
- Operations Management
- 2-Yr Certificate in Office Administration
College of Criminal Justice Education(2012)
- BS Criminology
College of Computer Studies
- BS Computer Science
- BS Information System
- BS Information Technology
- 2-year Associate in Computer Technology
- 2D Animation
- 6-month Computer Hardware Servicing
College of Education
- Bachelor of Elementary Education
- Major in
- Special Education
- Pre-School Education
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science
- Teacher Certificate Program
- Special Education
- Pre-School Education
- Values Education
- Social Studies
- 18units of Methods of Teaching
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Major in
- Physical Science
- Biological Science
- Social Studies
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science
- BS Physical Education major in Sports and Wellness Management (2014)
College of Engineering and Architecture
- BS Architecture
- BS Civil Engineering
- BS Computer Engineering
- BS Electrical Engineering
- BS Electronics and Communications Engineering
- BS Mechanical Engineering
College of Nursing
- BS Nursing
- 7-month Caregiver Course
School of Graduate Studies
College of Law
- College of Law is the only college in Naga City that offers Bachelor of Law(L.L.B.).
- The DEMOCRAT - The Independent Student-Publication of the University of Nueva Caceres.
- A Avenue - The Official Publication of the Graduate Studies Student-Faculty.
- Citrus - The Official Publication of the College
- Literati - The Official Publication of the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Sed Vitae - It is published once a year by the Research Center of the University of Nueva Caceres.
- The A-Venue - The Official UNC GS Student-Faculty Publication.
- The Trailblazer - The official Student-Publication of the UNC Junior High School Department
- The TORCH - The Official Student-Publication of the UNC College of Education
- The PERSPECTIVE - The official Student-Publication of the UNC College of Engineering and Architecture
- Tycoon - The Official Publication of the College of Business and Accountancy.
- The Children's World-The Official Publication of the Elementary Department
- RED and GRAY - The annual pictorial review published by the graduating students at the end of the school year
The University of Nueva Caceres – Institutionalized Community Extension Services (UNC – ICES) is the central office and coordinating center of the University for its Extension Service Program. It serves as the institutional coordinating arm of various departments, colleges and student organizations’ community services. The office initiates and/ or co-implements projects and programs and identify department who will be the lead implementer based on its line of interest and/ or expertise. It assists, advises, monitors and evaluates the Extension Program of the university or specific department as it ties up with offices like the Research Center, DSA, VPSEA, Deans and Principals, and the Local Government Units (LGUs), Government Line Agencies, NGOs and POs. The prime concern of the office is the development of socially aware and socially involved and relevant persons (faculty, employees, students, school friends).
ICES ensures that students, faculty members and non – teaching personnel of the University are provided with opportunities to get involved in various extension activities or program either institutionally or departmentally initiated and implemented. Once in a while alumni and UNC partners like Parents – Teachers – Council are tapped to support activities. Students’ involvement in Extension is varied. It can be curricular – related (like Social Arts, NSTP – CWTS, Practicum), extra – curricular involvement (like student organizations / fraternities / sororities), or simply volunteerism like (ICES student volunteers, Campus Ministry volunteers, Peer facilitators, College Red Cross Youth). For the teaching and non – teaching personnel, they can participate as resource speakers, lecturers, facilitators, trainers or initiators / organizers of an activity together with identified student organizations or community groups.
Provides services that will facilitate the growth and development of the students so that they will become more effective functional and productive members of the society.
Coordinates all religious activities within the University, as well as the University's participation in related religious activities outside the campus. It plans and implements various programs geared toward moral and spiritual formation of the students and the entire University population. It encourages and develop student volunteerism for responsible and committed Christian action.
Office of the Director for Student Affairs
It primarily concerned with the coordination and overall development of non-academic areas of student life. It formulates and implements policies, rules and regulation concerning student activities and welfare and provides guidance and assistance to students and planning and organizing their activities.
Equipped with individual booths, tape recorders and earphones which enable the students to follow speech models and also hear their own voices. It trains in pronunciation, enunciation, diction and other nuances of the English language.
The University Museum is a pet project of Don Jaime Hernandez, the Founder of the University of Nueva Caceres. It started on October 1, 1952, having as one of its primary aims to collect objects of interests in the arts and sciences. The UNC is the second educational institution in the Philippines to have a museum.
Instructional Media Center
University Post Office
Forensics and Dramatics
University Student Government (USG)
- The University Student Government is the sole supreme de jure student government of the University of Nueva Caceres.
Student Congress (SCON)
- It is the legislative branch of the University Student Government it composed of elected representatives from the different college of the University.
It is the judiciary branch of the University Student Government.
Student Election Commission
Federation of Student Organizations Fraternities and Sororities (FSOFS)
- FSOFS is an umbrella of all organization inside the University.
- Leni Robredo -14th and current Vice President of the Republic of the Philippines. Chairperson of Liberal Party (Philippines) in Camarines Sur and the standard bearer for congressman in the 3rd congressional district.
- , PACU-COA Accreditation
- , UNC Web Portal
- , Ayala buys UNC
- , Ayala Website
- , UNC Seal
- Annaeus Seneca, Lucius. Epistulae morales ad Lucilium, CVI. (Latin)
- Annaeus Seneca, Lucius. Gummere, Richard (trans.). Moral Letters to Lucilius, Vol. III, No. 106. Harvard University Press (Cambridge), 1925. Hosted at Wikisource. Accessed 30 May 2014.
- Cited by Kelemen, Imre. Institutiones Juris Hungarici Privati, Vol. I, §80. 1818. Hosted at Google Books. Accessed 30 May 2014. (Latin)
- Oberdeutsche Allgemeine Litteraturzeitung, No. 70, p. 1119. Zeitungs-Comtoir (Munich), 12 Jun 1804. Hosted at Google Books. Accessed 30 May 2014. (German)
- , UNC Publications
- , UNC Community Extension
- Robredo widow now Liberal Party head in CamSur Inquirer.net (2012-10-05)
- Leni Robredo files candidacy for House seat Inquirer.net (2012-10-05)
- Leni Robredo ready to enter politics ABS-CBNnews.com (2012-10-05)
- Leni Robredo appointed LP chair in CamSur Rappler.com (2012-10-05)
- Leni Robredo eyes RTC judge post in QC Inquirer.net (2012-10-05)