University of Oklahoma Westheimer Airport
|University of Oklahoma |
Max Westheimer Airport
Terminal building in 2018
|Owner||University of Oklahoma|
|Elevation AMSL||1,182 ft / 360 m|
University of Oklahoma Westheimer Airport (IATA: OUN, ICAO: KOUN, FAA LID: OUN) (Max Westheimer Airport) is a public use airport in Norman, in Cleveland County, Oklahoma. It is owned by the University of Oklahoma. The National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015 categorized it as a reliever airport.
The Cleveland County Composite Squadron of Civil Air Patrol meets on Tuesday evenings in a hangar provided by the City of Norman, east of the terminal.
Built as a civil airport on land donated by the Neustadt family in the name of their uncle Max Westheimer to the University of Oklahoma and land from the city of Norman, Oklahoma, it was taken over by the U.S. Navy in 1941 and expanded as a training field. It was transferred back to the university after the war.
In the year ended September 30, 2015, the airport had 48,700 aircraft operations, an average of 133 per day: 47,419 (97.37%) general aviation, 756 (1.55%) military, 520 (1.1%) air taxi and 5 (0.01%) air carrier operations. 105 aircraft were based at the airport: 77 (73.33%) single-engine, 20 (19%) multi-engine, and 8 (7.6%) jet. In addition to the fixed wing aircraft, eight helicopters were based at Westheimer Airport.
- FAA Airport Master Record for OUN ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective November 15, 2012.
"2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010. Archived from the original (PDF, 2.03 MB) on September 27, 2012. External link in
- "OU/Max Westheimer Tower". Oklahoma Airport Operators Association. Retrieved 2014-05-08.
- University of Oklahoma - Max Westheimer Airport
- University of Oklahoma Westheimer Airport (OUN) at Oklahoma Aeronautics Commission
- Cleveland County Composite Squadron - Civil Air Patrol
- University of Oklahoma LAAS & WAAS Testing
- Aerial image as of February 1995 from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective June 21, 2018
- FAA Terminal Procedures for OUN, effective June 21, 2018
- Resources for this airport: