University of Pennsylvania Health System
|Private hospital network|
Number of locations
|6 hospitals, 10 multispecialty centers, doctors' offices, clinics & sites|
South Central Pennsylvania
|Ralph W. Muller (CEO)|
J. Larry Jameson (EVP)
|Owner||Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania|
The University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS) is a diverse research and clinical care organization based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Founded in 1993, it currently operates as Penn Medicine, a division of the University of Pennsylvania. Three hospitals, two regional medical centers, and a multitude of clinical care providers in the greater Philadelphia area constitute the Ivy League university's health care network.
The Perelman School of Medicine also operates under the auspices of Penn Medicine and works closely with individual hospitals and practices. As such, Penn Medicine brands itself as an "academic medical center."
The Chester County Hospital and Health System joined UPHS in 2013. Two years later, Lancaster General Health (LG Health) joined the UPHS family. Finally, the Princeton HealthCare System officially merged into UPHS in January 2018.
|Facility ||Location||Type of facility||Year opened||Year joined UPHS||Notes|
|Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania||University City, Philadelphia, PA||Teaching||1874||1993||First university-owned teaching hospital in the United States|
|Pennsylvania Hospital||Center City, Philadelphia, PA||Teaching||1751||1993||First hospital of the United States|
|Penn Presbyterian Medical Center||University City, Philadelphia, PA||Teaching||1871||1995||Houses Penn's departments of Orthopaedics and Ophthalmology, in addition to long-term care and nursing home facilities|
|Chester County Hospital||West Chester, PA||Teaching||1892||2013|
|Lancaster General Hospital||Lancaster, PA||Teaching||1893||2015||Part of the Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health network|
|Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine||University City, Philadelphia, PA||Specialist||2008||2008||Houses the Abramson Cancer Center and Roberts Proton Therapy Center|
|Penn Medicine University City||University City, Philadelphia, PA||Specialist||Home to the Penn Musculoskeletal Center|
|Penn Medicine Rittenhouse||Southwest Center City, Philadelphia, PA||Rehabilitation||1916||1997||Houses the Penn Medicine Institute for Rehabilitation Medicine (operated by Good Shepherd Penn Partners) and the Specialty Hospital at Rittenhouse|
|Penn Medicine Radnor||Radnor Township, PA||Outpatient||Comprehensive primary and specialized outpatient care.|
|Penn Medicine Cherry Hill||Cherry Hill, NJ||Outpatient|
|Women & Babies Hospital||Lancaster, PA||Specialist||2000||2015||Specialty hospital for babies and women of all ages, part of the Lancaster General Health network|
|Lancaster Rehabilitation Hospital||Lancaster, PA||Rehabilitation||2007||2015||Part of the Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health network, co-owned by Kindred Healthcare|
|Princeton Medical Center||Plainsboro Township, NJ||Teaching||1919||2018||Part of the Penn Medicine Princeton Health network|
- "Meet our CEO". Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- "J. Larry Jameson, MD, PhD". Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- "What It Means to Be an Academic Medical Center". Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- "Acquisition of Phoenixville Hospital sewn up". Philadelphia Business Journal. 2 August 2004. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "Penn Medicine Announces Chester County Hospital and Health System as a New Member of the University of Pennsylvania Health System". Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Princeton Health Joins Penn Medicine". Penn Medicine Princeton Health. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- Braccia, Zoe (January 10, 2018). "Penn Medicine officially incorporated the Princeton HealthCare System". The Daily Pennsylvanian. Philadelphia, PA. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- "Penn Medicine Locations – Penn Medicine". Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "History of Penn Medicine". Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- "About Chester County Hospital". Chester County Hospital. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- "History". Lancaster General Health. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- "Good Shepherd and the University of Pennsylvania Health System Form New Organization to Enhance Rehabilitation Care in the Region" (Press release). Good Shepherd Rehab. 2007-01-23. Archived from the original on 2007-02-16. Retrieved 2017-03-28.