University of Petroleum and Energy Studies
|Motto||"विद्यायाया शक्ति वशम्"|
Motto in English
|"Harnessing Energy through Knowledge"|
|Type||State Public-Private University|
|Chancellor||Dr. S J Chopra|
|President||Mr. Sanjay Kaul|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Parag Diwan|
|Location||Bidholi, Prem Nagar, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India
|Campus||Suburban,42 acres (1,800,000 sq ft)|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, DSIR, IGNOU, AIU, The Energy Institute (United Kingdom), International Association of Universities, ISO 9001:2008, ISO 14001:2004, Bar Council of India (2007), CUSAC|
UPES Dehradun, established through an act of the State Legislature of Uttarakhand in the year 2003, is sponsored by Hydrocarbons Education and Research Society. It provides domain specialized programs in oil and gas, transportation, power, computer science, information technology, international business, logistics and supply chain, infrastructure. UPES is the only Asian University to receive the World Oil Award. UPES is an endeavour of Hydrocarbons Education & Research Society (HERS), a non profit organization registered under the Societies Act 1860 dedicated to promoting education and training in Energy and allied sectors.
The university offers over 75 undergraduate and postgraduate programs. UPES is the one of the first university of India to provide UG, PG and PhD programs in the core sectors of petroleum and energy.
UPES is the only university to set up a working model Oil Rig on campus. The campus is also enabled with 1KW wind turbine mill and a solar power project with 100 KWp installed capacity. It is the first Indian Energy Institution to set up an in-house Bio-Diesel Laboratory.
- 1 Campus
- 2 Cultural and non-academic activities
- 3 Colleges, Centres and Schools
- 3.1 College Of Engineering Studies (CoES)
- 3.2 College Of Management and Economics Studies (CoMES)
- 3.3 College Of Legal Studies (CoLS)
- 3.4 School Of Design Studies (SoDS)
- 3.5 School of International Law & Diplomacy (SoILD)
- 3.6 School of Planning & Architecture (SPA)
- 3.7 Centre for Information Technology (CIT)
- 3.8 Centre for Continuing Education(CCE)
- 4 Admissions
- 5 Placements
- 6 Awards and Achievements
- 7 Video References
- 8 See also
- 9 External links
- 10 References
The UPES consists of two campuses Bidholi and Kandoli which are about 3 Km. from each other, located at the foothills of Mussoorie range mountains. The Bidholi campus is allocated into clusters of buildings, there are 9 blocks and the main building named Energy House, the another part is named as Chitrakoot Block which includes various laboratories, workshops and hostels.
The University has a R&D Centre dedicated for the research and development in various fields which comprises various laboratories, behind the R&D Centre there is an Oil Rig working model dedicated for the Petroleum Engineering and Earth Sciences students.
Due to campus's proximity in mountain valley, the campus is untouched from the pollution of the rest of the Dehradun city.
MiG-27 Fighter Plane
The campus being located in Dehradun which is famous for its picturesque landscape and slightly milder climate and provides a gateway to the surrounding region. Dehradun is itself home for various prestigious institutes for Petroleum and Earth Sciences such as Indian Institute of Petroleum, Oil and Natural Gas Corporation, Wadia Institute Of Himalayan Geology and Survey of India.
It is well connected and in proximity to popular Himalayan tourist destinations such as Mussoorie, Nainital, Auli and the Hindu holy cities of Haridwar and Rishikesh along with the Himalayan pilgrimage circuit of Char Dham.
The Road route as from Dehradun ISBT → Balliwala Chowk → Indian Military Academy → Prem Nagar → Nanda ki chowki(This whole stretch is a part of Chakrata road), then a 9 km long uphill stretch from Nanda ki Chowki and shows up campus of UPES.
Cultural and non-academic activities
Cultural activities like dramatics, Speaking, Literary Arts, Music and Fine Arts also mark an important feature in the life of a student of UPES.Student activities have been distributed into three broad categories, technical, cultural and sports.
The annual youth festival Uurja is held in the month of October. The most attractive feature of this 2-day event are the competitions, games and musical concerts.
Ignite is the Annual Techno-Legal-Management festival,IGNITE aims at building a platform to bring students of all domains under a single umbrella to work together, learn together and grow together, IGNITE is first Techno-Legal-Management festival in India.
UPES SPE Fest
UPES SPE Fest is held in month of February every year since 2010 and is India's largest Student Organized-Petroleum Engineering Fest under Society of Petroleum Engineers. It comprises various events like competitions, exhibits and talks from guest speakers which aims to provide a common platform for mutual sharing of knowledge, experience and to strengthen the bonds between the students and Oil and Gas Industry.
GEMS team of UPES organized an instrumental competition- ‘GEMS INSTRU-BLITZ’ for the students on campus. Students enthralled the audience by playing wonderful tunes on Guitar (Acoustic & electric), Tabla and Keyboard. The event was sponsored by Resizone residency, USP and Mark industries. Mr. Vivek Aggarwal from Resizone group and Mr. Rahul Bhatnagar from USP were the guests of honor. The event was judged by Mr. Gaurav Dimang, a well-known vocalist from Dehradun and Ms. Namita Molasi, Head of the music Dept. at Raja Ram Mohan Roy Academy. 
“Kalakriti”- Your strokes, their smiles, was the event organized on Campus. The event is organized by UPES GOOGLE HUB. It focused on a creative way of spreading awareness about Google and its products with the fun of chart painting competition. This event had a massive participation of 75 teams from the various courses of College of engineering Studies, College of management Studies and College of Legal Studies.
Colleges, Centres and Schools
UPES has 3 Colleges,4 Schools and a Centre in the campus.
College Of Engineering Studies (CoES)
The College of Engineering Studies offers B.Tech, M.Tech and Ph.D. programs across a wide spectrum of specialization areas. These include Petroleum Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Petroleum Exploration, Energy Systems, Geoinformatics Engineering, Geo-Science Engineering, Automotive Design Engineering, Mining engineering, Instrumentation & Process Control, Aerospace Engineering, Disaster Management, Mechatronics Engineering, Robotics, Nanotechnology, Fire Safety Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Industrial Engineering, and several others.
The College of Engineering Studies has the following Departments:
- Department of Petroleum Engineering , Earth Science& specialisation in computer science;
- Department of Mechanical Engineering& specialisation in civil.
- Department of Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering
- Department of Health, Safety and Environment
- Department of Aerospace Engineering
- Department of Nuclear Science Technology
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
College Of Management and Economics Studies (CoMES)
The College of Management & Economics Studies is situated at Kandoli Campus of UPES which offers BBA, MBA & Ph.D. programs in varied domains such as Oil & Gas, Aerospace, Power, Infrastructure, Transportation & Logistics, Aviation, Information Technology, Information Systems and International Business.It allows the students to understand sector specific business and economic concepts; empowering them with management and leadership skills.
The college of Management & Economics Studies has following Departments.
- Department of Strategic Management
- Department of Accounting & Finance
- Department of Human Resource
- Department of QT, RM & Operations
- Department of Oil & Gas
- Department of Power & Infrastructure
- Department of Transportation
- Department of Economics & International Business
- Department of Information Systems Management
- Department of Logistics & Supply Chain Management
- Department of Marketing Management
College Of Legal Studies (CoLS)
It offers basic and specialized law courses in Corporate Law, Energy Specialization, Taxation Laws and Technical courses like Intellectual Property Rights and Cyber Law and integrated and specialized programs which are the first of their kind in the South Asian region. These include BA LLB with specialization in Energy Laws, BBA LLB (Hons) Corporate Law and B.Com + LLB with specialization in Taxation Laws and B.Tech Energy Technology + LLB with specialization in Intellectual Property Rights and B. Tech Computer Science & Engineering with specialization in Cyber Laws.
School Of Design Studies (SoDS)
School of Design Studies provides creative design courses that help students understand and master visual design aspects of transportation, industrial and product development and build a successful career in the industry of various choices.
- Undergraduate programme
- Postgraduate programmes(M.Des)
- Transportation Design
- Industrial Design
- Product Design
- Interaction Design
School of International Law & Diplomacy (SoILD)
School of International Law & Diplomacy (SoILD) at UPES has been set up with a vision to groom leaders ready to address challenges in the national and international arena across setups as diverse as governments, public service, non-governmental organizations(NGOs) and business in the increasingly globalized and interdependent world. School of International Law & Diplomacy offers programs in: M.A. International Affairs M.A. Criminal Law & Justice
School of Planning & Architecture (SPA)
UPES School of Planning and Architecture provides cutting edge B.Plan and M.Plan program that aims to develop multi-dimensional capabilities in the student to meet the complex challenges that lie in conceptualizing, formulating, designing, executing and assessment of impacts of the built environment on physical, environmental, technological and demographic characteristics of habitats.
Undergraduate programme (B.Plan)
- Bachelor of Planning
- M.Plan Environmental Planning
- M.Plan Urban Design
- M.Tech Building Engineering & Management
Centre for Information Technology (CIT)
- Open Source & Open Standards
- Cloud Computing & Virtualization Technologies
- Mainframe Technology
- Oil & Gas Informatics
- Telecom Informatics
- E commerce, Retail & Automation
- IT Infrastructure
- Business Analytics and Optimization
- Banking, Financial Services and Insurance
- IT Security & Cyber Forensics
- Gaming and Graphics
Centre for Continuing Education(CCE)
The Centre for Continuing Education (CCE) and Centre for Aviation Studies (CAS) offer Executive programs through distance learning mode for the working professionals.
- For B.Tech. /B.Des
- UPESEAT Entrance Exam (80% Seat distribution).
- Through Board Merit/JEE Main(20% Seat distribution).
- Online Design Test after UPESEAT for B.Des applicants.
- For LLB (Hons.)
- For MBA
- UPES Management Entrance Test (UPES-MET) / CAT / MAT + Group Discussion & Interview.
- For M.Tech
- GATE/GRE Score(Bachelor's degree in engineering stream with minimum 60% marks at Higher, Senior Secondary level (10th & 12th) followed by technical interview.
- For M.Des
- Valid CEED score/UPESDAT score followed by personal interview along with presentation of work portfolio.
- For BBA
- Science / Commerce stream with minimum 50% marks at Higher & Senior Secondary level (10th & 12th).
Over 7500 plus UPES graduates & post graduates have already been placed in over more than 600 reputed companies national & International. Extensive exposure & various training including industry visits & exclusive personality enhancement, training capsules to improve employee skills are regular practices of the campus. UPES has been consistent in keeping a track record of 85% & above placements right from its inception.
Across the college and schools in UPES – Management, Engineering and Law, students have already been placed with some of the top companies in core sector. Few of the major On-Campus recruiters are, Schlumberger, Halliburton, ONGC, Shell India, Cairn Energy India Ltd, Total S.A., Baker Hughes, Petrofac, Accenture, IBM, FedEx, L&T, Caterpillar, Volvo Eicher, Halonix, Dell India, Mahindra & Mahindra, Royal Enfield, Maruti Suzuki, Flipkart, IBM, Mahindra Aerospace, Tech Mahindra, GVK Mumbai International Airport, GMR Group, Sapient, Mahanagar Gas, NYK Line India ltd, ITC Ltd, Tata Consultancy Services, Wipro, Infosys, Technip and Trilegal.
Awards and Achievements
- GRIHA (National Green Building Rating System), four star rating awarded to UPES Campus by Honorable President of India, Shri. Pranab Mukherjee, which makes it the only GRIHA rated University in India.
- Outstanding Petroleum University, 11th Annual World Oil Awards 2012 by World Oil Magazine and sponsored by Gulf Publishing Company at Houston, Texas USA.
- Green Campus Award, awarded at the World Education Submit 2013.
- Best Innovative University Award 2013, awarded by Hon'ble Minister of Human Resources Development, Mr. M. M.Pallam Raju at ASSOCHAM.
- Best Global Education / Training Provider 2008, awarded by Getenergy at London, UK.
- Recognizing Leadership & Excellence : Outstanding Achievement Institution 2008.
- SAP ACE Award for Public Services 2012
- Best Managed University Award 2013, presented by Competition Success Review.
- University of Technology and Management
- Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
- List of universities in India
- List of business schools in Asia
- University Grants Commission (India)
- "University of Petroleum & Energy Studies::Programs Offered". upes.ac.in. Retrieved 18 August 2011.