University of Petroleum and Energy Studies
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Motto in English
|University with a purpose|
|Chancellor||Dr. S J Chopra|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Deependra Kumar|
|Campus||Suburban,42 acres (1,800,000 sq ft)|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, DSIR, IGNOU, AIU, IAU, BCI|
The University of Petroleum & Energy Studies (UPES) is an Indian university located in Dehradun, Uttarakhand specialising in fields of petroleum, energy and power. Established in 2003, it has been expanding its business and legal studies.
- 1 History and governance
- 2 Location
- 3 Academic offerings
- 4 Centre for Continuing Education (CCE)
- 5 Cultural and non-academic activities
- 6 Awards and achievements
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
History and governance
UPES was established in 2003 by an act of the state of Uttarakhand and is India's first public-private university. The university is a non-profit entity managed by the Hydrocarbons Education & Research Society.
The campus is located in Dehradun, which is well connected and in proximity to popular Himalayan tourist destinations such as Mussoorie, Nainital, Auli and the Hindu holy cities of Haridwar and Rishikesh along with the Himalayan pilgrimage circuit of Char Dham.
UPES has five schools and centres for continuing education.
School of Engineering (SoE)
SoE offers B.Tech., M.Tech. and Ph.D. programs across a wide spectrum of specialisation areas including Petroleum Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Petroleum Exploration, Energy Systems, Geoinformatics Engineering, Geo-Science Engineering, Automotive Design Engineering, Mining Engineering, Instrumentation and Process Control, Aerospace Engineering, Disaster Management, Mechatronics Engineering, Robotics, Nanotechnology, Fire Safety Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, and Industrial Engineering.
The SoE has the following departments:
- Department of Petroleum Engineering and Earth Sciences
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Aerospace Engineering
- Department of Nuclear Science Technology
- Department of Health, Safety and Environment
- Department of Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
School of Business (SoB)
SoB is situated at Kandoli Campus of UPES and offers BBA, MBA & Ph.D. programs in domains including Oil and Gas, Energy Trading, Power, Aviation, Port, Supply Chain and Logistics, Agri Business, Tourism & Hospitality, Marketing, Finance, Human Resources, Operations, Business Analytics, and International Business.
SoB has the following departments:
- Department of Energy Management
- Department of Transportation Management
- Department of Economics & International Business
- Department of General Management (including Finance, Marketing, Human Resources, Strategic Management, and Decision Sciences)
School of Law (SoL)
SoL offers basic and specialised law courses in Corporate Law, Energy Specialization, and Taxation Laws in addition to technical courses such as Intellectual Property Rights and Cyber Law and integrated and specialised programs which are the first of their kind in the South Asian region. These include a BA LLB with specialisation in Energy Laws, a BBA LLB (Hons) in Corporate Law, a B.Com + LLB with specialisation in Taxation Laws, a B.Tech Energy Technology + LLB with specialisation in Intellectual Property Rights, and a B. Tech in Computer Science and Engineering with specialisation in Cyber Laws.
School Of Design Studies (SoD)
The School of Design offers visual design courses covering aspects of transportation, industrial and product development.
- Undergraduate program
- Postgraduate Program (M.Des.)
- Transportation Design
- Industrial Design
- Product Design
- Interaction Design
School of Computer Science (SoCS)
The School of Computer Science offers a B.Tech. in Computer Science and Engineering in association with IBM and XEBIA with specialisations in:ref>"IT Colleges: Information Technology School in India - UPES". www.upes.ac.in.</ref>
- Cloud Computing and Virtualisation Technologies
- Cyber Security and Forensics
- Business Analytics and Optimization
- Open Source and Open Standards
- Mainframe Technology
- Oil and Gas Informatics
- Telecom Informatics
- E commerce, Retail and Automation
- IT Infrastructure
- Banking, Financial Services and Insurance
- IT Security and Cyber Forensics
- Graphics and Gaming
- Mobile Application Development
- Artificial Intelligence
- Internet of Things and Smart Cities
- Big Data
- Machine Learning
School of Health Sciences (SoHS)
School of Health Sciences offers following courses:
- Bachelor in Pharmacy
- B.Sc. in Food Nutrition and Dietetics
- Diploma in Pharmacy
- BBA in Hospital & Healthcare Management
Centre for Continuing Education (CCE)
Cultural and non-academic activities
Student activities have been divided into three broad categories, technical, cultural and sports. They include four annual festivals:
- Uurja, a two-day event held in October which includes competitions, games and concerts.
- Ignite, the first techno-legal-management festival in India
- Jigyasa, a festival of the oil and gas industry including student presentations and lectures by visiting professionals. It is organised by the UPES chapter of FIPI (formally UPES Petrotech SC, the oldest Indian student chapter of FIPI in India)
- UPES SPE Fest, held in February since 2010, India's largest student-organised petroleum engineering fest under the Society of Petroleum Engineers.
- UURJA 2018 invited HARDY SANDHU
Other activities have included Gems Instrublitz, an instrumental competition organised by the UPES GEMS team, and Kalakriti, a chart painting competition organised to spread awareness of Google and its products.
Awards and achievements
This section needs additional citations for verification. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- GRIHA (National Green Building Rating System), four-star rating awarded to UPES campus by the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee; the only GRIHA-rated university in India.
- 'Best Academic-Industry Interface' by Indian media house DNA, 2018
- ‘University with Best Industry Academic Partnership’, India Today TV-Higher Education Excellence Awards 2018
- ‘Best University for Placements and Employability’, Times Now National Education Excellence Award 2018
- Ranked amongst world's top 30 universities for oil, gas and petroleum engineering by CEO World magazine (USA), 2017
- Five stars for employabality and campus facilities and four stars for teaching methodologies, QS Ratings, 2016
- International Accreditation Council for Business Education-accredited MBA programs (2017)
- Global winner of CanSat 2017 aerospace competition, Texas, USA
- Only Indian university whose students were part of Poland Mars Analogue Simulation (PMAS), 2017
- Outstanding Petroleum University, 11th Annual World Oil Awards 2012, World Oil magazine
- Green Campus Award, World Education Summit 2013.
- Best Innovative University Award 2013, awarded at ASSOCHAM
- Best Global Education / Training Provider 2008, Getenergy, London
- Recognizing Leadership and Excellence: Outstanding Achievement Institution 2008
- SAP ACE Award for Public Services 2012
- Best Managed University Award 2013, Competition Success Review
- World Oil Awards 2012
- University of Technology and Management
- Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
- List of universities in India
- List of business schools in Asia
- University Grants Commission (India)
- "Accreditations & Recognitions". www.upes.ac.in. Archived from the original on 19 November 2013.
- "The UPES Story". www.upes.ac.in. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "UPES University-Dehradun - Uttarakhand". www.upes.ac.in.
- "University of Petroleum & Energy Studies::Programs Offered". upes.ac.in. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Business Management College: Business School For MBA & Economics". www.upes.ac.in.
- "Law College: Best School For Legal Studies in India". www.upes.ac.in.
- "Design School: Best Design College, India". www.upes.ac.in.
- "CCE UPES Distance MBA, BBA and Online Certified Professionals Programs". cce.upes.ac.in.
- "UURJA Annual Cultural Youth Festival". www.upes.ac.in.
- "IGNITE - Annual Techno Legal Management Fest in UPES". www.upes.ac.in.
- "UPES FIPI Student Chapter". Archived from the original on 9 August 2018.
- "Best Innovative University Award 2013". UPES blog. 6 June 2013. Archived from the original on 14 January 2014.
- "UPES University Dehradun - Awards & Accolades". www.upes.ac.in.
- "UPES receives World Oil Awards 2012". Online PR News. UPES.