University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital
|University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital|
|Location||East West Road, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria|
|Hospital type||Research, Teaching, Tertiary|
|Affiliated university||University of Port Harcourt|
|Website||University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital|
|Other links||Hospitals in Port Harcourt|
University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital originally commenced its operations in 1980 and was officially commissioned by the federal government in 1985. When it started out, there were 60 beds mainly in use. After relocating to its permanent site in 2006, the hospital's capacity was expanded to 500 beds.
University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital is managed through a three-tier managerial system consisting - the Board of Management, Hospital Management Committee (HMC) and the Departments. Nearly 200,000 patients are seen annually in both outpatient and inpatient settings, as well as over 3000 surgical operations a year. Average bed occupancy rate in 12 months has risen above 80%. Besides offering medical services, the hospital tends to provide clinical education and training to students, nurses, and other healthcare professionals. Over the years, many research activities and results from its organized units have appeared on several major national and international medical and scientific journals.
- Accident and Emergency
- Central Sterilisation Service Department (CSSD)
- Community Medicine
- Computer Science
- Ear, Nose and Throat
- General Out Patient Department
- Intensive Care Unite
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Illustration Unit
- Medical Laboratory Services (Chemical Pathology, Haematology and Blood Bank, Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, Anatomical Pathology)
- Medical Records
- Medical Social Welfare
- Nuclear Medicine
- Nurse Practice Development Unit
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Oral Maxillo Facial
- Orthopaedic Department
- Paediatric Services
- Surgical Department
- Works and Services
- Google (1 September 2014). "Location of University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "Our Beginning". Upthng.org. Archived from the original on 4 May 2015. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "UPTH Receives N4.5m Equipment". The Tide. Port Harcourt: Rivers State Newspaper Corporation. 30 October 2009. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "List of all Federal Teaching Hospitals". Nigeria: Federal Ministry of Health. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- Port Harcourt Medical Journal, Volume 2. Port Harcourt: College of Health Sciences, University of Port Harcourt. pp. 74–110. ISSN 0795-3038. OCLC 219471649.