University of Puerto Rico at Arecibo
|Universidad de Puerto Rico en Arecibo|
|Latin: Universitatis Portoricensis|
|Colegio Regional de Arecibo (CRA)
Colegio Universitario Tecnológico de Arecibo (CUTA)
|President||Nivia A. Fernández Hernández|
|Rector||Sylka V. Torres Navas|
|Location||Arecibo, Puerto Rico
|Colors||Yellow, White and Black
|Sports||Weightlifting, Track and field, Table tennis|
|Mascots||The Wolves (male and female)|
The University of Puerto Rico at Arecibo (UPRA or UPR-Arecibo) is a state university located in the city of Arecibo, Puerto Rico, and part of the eleven campuses that compose the University of Puerto Rico system. UPR-Arecibo is known from its previous names "Colegio Regional de Arecibo" (English: Arecibo Regional College) and "Colegio Universitario Tecnológico de Arecibo" (English: Arecibo Technological University College) and its acronyms "CRA" and "CUTA".
The University of Puerto Rico at Arecibo (UPRA), is located in the north of the island, next to the largest pharmaceutical and biotechnology complex in the Caribbean, the largest radio telescope in the world and agricultural areas of intense commercial activity. It is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
UPRA offers Associate and Baccalaureate Degrees, some of them unique in the UPR system:
- Bachelor of Science in Microbiology
- Bachelor of Social Science with concentration in Industrial Organizational Psychology
- Bachelor of Social Science with concentration in Latin American Studies (includes Latin American Studies Center and agreements with institutions in Latin America)
- Bachelor of Industrial Chemical Process Technology
- Associate Degree in Veterinary Technology.
- Bachelor of Business Administration including Accounting, Finance, Marketing and Management degrees.
UPRA also holds the distinction of being the Alma Mater of many communications professionals currently working in local and international media, and of independent producers who graduated from the Bachelor of Communication program ("Tele-Radial").
- Students: 3,693
- Faculty: 257
- Administrative personnel: 288
|Department||Bachelor's Degree||Associate degree|
|Department of Business Administration||Accounting||—|
|Department of Biology||Microbiology||Veterinary Technology|
|Department of Computer Sciences||Computer Science||—|
|Department of Social Sciences||Spanish American Studies||—|
|Industrial and Organizational Psychology|
|Department of TV and Radio Communications||TV & Radio Communications Technology with emphasis in:
|Department of Education||Elementary Education||—|
|Department of Nursing||Nursing|
|Department of Office Systems||Office Systems||—|
|Department of Physics-Chemistry||Industrial Chemical Process Technology||Chemical Engineering Technology|
- Roberto Cortés, weather anchor at Telemundo Puerto Rico.
- Ricardo Torres, sports anchor at Telemundo Puerto Rico.
- Eliezer Ramos, news reporter at WAPA-TV.
- Saudi Rivera, gossip analyst at Telemundo Puerto Rico.
- Nelson Ruiz, producer of Mira Quien Baila and Nuestra Belleza Latina.
- Nuria Sebazco, news reporter at Telemundo Puerto Rico.
- Jessica Serrano, gossip analyst at Telemundo Puerto Rico.
- Suheill Michelle Urdaz Montano, radio reporter at SuperK 106.
- Normando Valentín, news reporter at WAPA-TV
The University of Puerto Rico at Arecibo has two fraternities, members of the Inter-Fraternity Council of Puerto Rico.
- Phi Omega Sigma
- Phi Sigma Alpha
- Association of the University of Puerto Rico Alumni and Friends Abroad (UPRAA)
- "Egresados-Confiesan-Upra". Noticias.universia.pr. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- Asociaciones - UPRA.edu