University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Pharmacy
|1871 – Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy|
|Dean||Prof. Aleth Therese L. Dacanay, PhD Pharm, RPh|
|Regent||Fr. Pompeyo F. de Mesa, O.P.|
|Students||3,055 (as of 2016)|
|Location||Main Building, UST, Sampaloc, Manila|
|Patron saint||Saints Cosmas and Damian, Immaculate Conception|
Established in 1871, the faculty is the first pharmaceutical institution in the Philippines. It is a consistent Top Performing Pharmacy School & Medical Technology School in the Philippine Pharmacist & Medical Technologist Licensure Examinations.
- 1 History
- 2 About the Faculty
- 3 Faculty officials
- 4 Academic programs
- 5 Student organizations
- 6 See also
- 7 References
Being the oldest in the Philippines, the Faculty of Pharmacy was founded in May 1871 by virtue of the Modification of the Moret decree. It was during the Spanish regime, the degree in pharmacy was one of six in years. In 1901, when the American administration took over, the curriculum was revised to four years. Then in 1916 the degree of Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy was further revised to three years. It was until 1930 when a four-year curriculum was adapted. Finally in 1954, the curriculum was revised to five years. In 1984, the degree of Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy curriculum was again reduced to four years with the integration of some subjects.
In 1962, Faculty of Pharmacy continued to expand with the addition of the degree of Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry and also the degree of Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology. University of Santo Tomas has gained the distinction of introducing the degree of Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry for the first time in the Philippines. The Faculty of Pharmacy, also has the distinction of being the first institution in the University of Santo Tomas to admit female students during 1924.
The degree of Bachelor in Science in Botany was then offered in the Faculty of Pharmacy in 1986.
Recently the Commission of Higher Education identified the Pharmacy and Medical Technology Programs as CHED Center of Excellence
About the Faculty
The Faculty of Pharmacy affirms its responsibility to develop individuals proficient in the Art and Science of Pharmacy: advancement in technology; improvement in the delivery of health care services and the formation of a progressive and healthy society.
It endeavors to be an institution that serves as a medium to nurture students highly qualified in the various pharmaceutical specialization, sustain a component teaching force meritorious in the professionalism and conscious of its role in the pursuit of the national prosperity and global acceptability.
- Dean - Prof. Aleth Therese L. Dacanay, PhD Pharm, RPh
- Regent - Rev. Fr. Pompeyo F. de Mesa, OP, S.Th.L
- Assistant Dean - Assoc. Prof. Ma. Frieda Z. Hapan, Ph.D Educ'l. Mgt., MSMT, RMT
- Faculty Secretary - Asst. Prof. Rhona P. Ramos, MSc Pharm, RPh, CPS
- Prof. Jovencio G. Apostol, PhD Pharm, RPh, CPS
- Assoc. Prof. Jocelyn D. Domingo, MSMPR, RMT
- Asst. Prof. Andrea G. Vargas, MSc Mol. Bio and Biotech.
- Pharmacy - Prof. Jovencio G. Apostol, PhD Pharm, RPh, CPS
- Medical Technology - Assoc. Prof. Edilberto P. Manahan, RMT, MLS(ASCPi)cm, MACT, MSMT, Ed.D
- Biochemistry - Asst. Prof. Andrea G. Vargas, MSc Mol. Bio. and Biotech.
Subject Area Coordinators
- Mathematics and Computer Science - Assoc. Prof. Ninia I. Calaca, M.Sc., M.Phil.
- Humanities, Languages & Social Sciences - Assoc. Prof. Ma. Rosario R. Aranda, M.A.
- Theology - Rev. Fr. Pompeyo F. de Mesa, O.P.
- Medical Technology Laboratories including Media Rooms - Asst. Prof. Gregorio L. Martin, I, MPH, MSMT, RMT
- Pharmacy Laboratories including Botanical Laboratories - Asst. Prof. Marilyn A. Ngo, MSc Pharm, RPh
Other Faculty Coordinators
- Community Development - Ms. Andrea Q. Carigma, MD, RPh
- UST Miguel de Benavides Library - Asst. Prof. Ruel Valerio R. de Grano, MSChEd, MATh
- Pharmacy Internship Program - Assoc. Prof. Nelson T. Tubon, PhD Bus. Adm., MSc Pharm, BSN, RN, RPh
- Medical Technology Internship Program - Asst. Prof. Vivian D. Asuncion, RMT, MT(ASCP), MSMT
- Educational Technology, College Coordinator - Ms. Imelda E. Marollano, MSc Comp. Sci.
The Faculty offers the following academic degree programs:
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry (4 years) - is the branch of science concerned with the chemistry of molecules and chemical processes of life. It is multidisciplinary, standing at the crossroads between the physical sciences (chemistry and physics) and the life sciences (botany, zoology, microbiology and genetics). This four-year program familiarizes the students with the fundamental principles and theories, and their application in research and industry.
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology (4 years) - Medical Technology is a branch of laboratory medicine dealing with the examination of the body fluids and tissues with the use of various chemical, microscopic and bacteriological methods. It involves the application of natural, physical, and biological sciences on the performance of laboratory procedures, which aid in the diagnosis and treatment of disease and the maintenance of health.
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy (4 years) - Pharmacy is the art and science of biological agents used as drugs for the prevention, diagnosis, cure, and treatment of diseases of man and animals. The study of pharmacy is founded on the identification, discovery, isolation, synthesis, and formulation of biologically active compounds for clinical use. However, the increasing complexity of pathological processes and health care delivery systems has expanded the role of pharmacists from the usual orientation to drugs to competencies in ensuring appropriate use of such agents by health care providers and patients. Pharmacists are not just experts on drug information but also authorities on drug use.
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy Major in Clinical pharmacy (5 years) - Clinical Pharmacy is the branch of pharmacy which merges the clinical and pharmaceutical sciences to provide patient care to optimize medication use in the cure, diagnosis, treatment, prevention and mitigation of diseases of man. This is a one-year continuation option program which a student may enrol after qualifying through a series comprehensive examinations and interviews. The program includes courses in Drugs and Disease Management, Basic and Advanced Clinical Pharmacy, Drug and Literature Information, Immunology, Adverse Drug Reactions, Radiopharmacy, Drug Regimen Design and a clinical clerkship program at the University of Santo Tomas Hospital.
The organizational taxonomy of the Faculty of Pharmacy.
- Faculty of Pharmacy Student Council (FPSC) - the official student government of the Faculty of Pharmacy.
- Junior Pharmacists Association - Gamma Chapter (JPA) - the Mother Organization of all Pharmacy Students.
- UST Clinical Pharmacy Society (CPS) - the official student organization of Clinical Pharmacy Students.
- Medical Technology Society (MTS) - the official student organization of Medical Technology Students.
- UST Biochemical Society (UST-BCS) - the official student organization of Biochemistry Students.
- Organization of Medical Technology Interns (OMTI) - the organization established solely for graduating students taking up Medical Technology.
- Community Achievers Association (COMACH) - a community service-oriented organization.
- Pax Romana Pharmacy Unit - college based unit of the Central Pax Romana, the University's official Religious Organization
- Pharmacy Dance Troupe (PDT) - the official dance troupe of the Faculty of Pharmacy.
- Pharmacy Debate and Speech Council
- UST Pharmacy Glee Club - the official chorale ensemble of the Faculty of Pharmacy.
- Pharmacy Sports Club - the official organization of sports enthusiast.
- Purple Gazette - the official student publication of the Faculty of Pharmacy.
- Red Cross Youth Council (RCYC) - Pharmacy Unit
- Rotaract Club of UST- Pharmacy Unit- a socio- civic organization sponsored by Rotary Club.
- SCARLET Pharmacy Unit - A sub-unit of Scarlet Central which is known as the official Filipino-Chinese organization of the University.
- Scholia Tutorial Club
- Theatre Catalyst - the official theater guild of the Faculty of Pharmacy.
- Bulauan, J.A.A. & Garcia, J.C.V. (2011-01-26). "Too many students, so few classrooms". The Varsitarian. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- University of Santo Tomas - Faculty of Pharmacy
- List of student organizations, UST Pharmacy Student Council, 2007.