University of Santo Tomas Graduate School
|University of Santo Tomas
|Dean||Prof. Marilu R. Madrunio, PhD|
|Regent||Rev. Fr. Jose Antonio Aureada, OP, S.T.D.|
|Location||Thomas Aquinas Research Complex, UST, Sampaloc, Manila|
|Patron saint||St. Antoninus of Florence|
|Colors||Gold, white and blue
As early as the seventeenth (17th) century, the University of Santo Tomas (UST) had already been granting master's and doctoral degrees. The different faculties and colleges supervised their respective undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate programs
Academic programs have grown from a handful of academic offerings to around ninety graduate degree programs, spanning a cross-section of disciplines. Regular classes, colloquia and oral defenses are held at the Thomas Aquinas Research Complex. Laboratories and conference halls are maintained at the left wing of the Benavides Building. The UST Graduate School publishes Ad Veritatem, a refereed multidisciplinary scholarly journal.
The UST Graduate School is recognized by the Commission on Higher Education of the Philippines as a Center of Excellence in several fields of the arts and humanities, allied health sciences, natural sciences, and engineering. Its programs in business, public management, and education were also recognized by the Commission on Higher Education's Fund for Assistance to Private Education (FAPE) in its periodic and systemic Evaluation of Graduate Education Programs (EGEP).
Six of its business-related degrees are also included in the 2011 list of top international master's programs by the Paris-based Eduniversal International Scientific Committee. The following programs are ranked in the Far East Asian region, according to their respective categories: MA in Communication (10th place); MA in Economics (14th); MS in Human Relations Management (14th); Master of Public Administration (17th); MS in Management Engineering (39th); and MBA in Entrepreneurship program (99th).
The Graduate School has produced the following alumni:
- Arturo Tolentino - former Vice President of the Philippines
- Diosdado Macapagal - former President of the Philippines
- Renato Corona - former Chief Justice of the Philippine Supreme Court
Academe and professional practice
- Merlinda Bobis - Professor, Creative Writing Program, University of Wollongong in Australia; Winner: Australian Writers’ Guild Award, Ian Reed Radio Drama Prize, International Prix Italia, Steele Rudd Award for the Best Published Collection of Australian Short Stories, Judges’ Choice Award at the Bumbershoot Bookfair in the Seattle Arts Festival, UMPIL (Union of Writers in the Philippines) Awardee
- Cristina Pantoja-Hidalgo - Vice President for Public Affairs, University of the Philippines; former Dean, UP College of Arts and Letters; former Executive Director, UP Institute of Creative Writing; former Director, UP Press
- William Henry Scott - Noted historian on Pre-Hispanic Philippines and Gran Cordilleria Central, Tanglaw ng Lahi Awardee
- Official prospectus, University of Santo Tomas Graduate School, 2007.
- Graduate School UST.edu.ph. Accessed August 6, 2006
- "Six UST Graduate School courses among the best in the world". Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- Alumni list, University of Santo Tomas Graduate School, 2007.
- UST Graduate School - Official website