University of Science and Technology of China
Motto in English
|Being both responsible and professional, integrating theory with practice|
|Affiliations||AEARU, APRU, C9|
|University of Science and Technology of China|
Old North gate of the East Campus
The University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) is a national research university in Hefei, Anhui, China, under the direct leadership of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). It is a member of the C9 League, China's equivalent of the Ivy League. It is also a Chinese Ministry of Education Class A Double First Class University. Founded in Beijing by the CAS in September 1958, it was moved to Hefei in the beginning of 1970 during the Cultural Revolution.
USTC was founded with the mission of addressing urgent needs to improve China's economy, defense infrastructure, and science and technology education. Its core strength is scientific and technological research, and more recently has expanded into humanities and management with a strong scientific and engineering emphasis. USTC has 12 schools, 30 departments, the Special Class for the Gifted Young, the Experimental Class for Teaching Reform, Graduate Schools (Hefei, Shanghai, Suzhou), a Software School, a School of Network Education, and a School of Continuing Education. In 2012 the Institute of Advanced Technology, University of Science and Technology of China was founded.
USTC was founded in Beijing by the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) in September 1958. The Director of CAS, Mr. Guo Moruo was appointed the first president of USTC. USTC's founding mission was to develop a high-level science and technology workforce, as deemed critical for development of China's economy, defense, and science and technology education. The establishment was hailed as "A Major Event in the History of Chinese Education and Science." CAS has supported USTC by combining most of its institutes with the departments of the university. USTC is listed in the top 16 national key universities, becoming the youngest national key university.
USTC set up the Special Class for the Gifted Young and the first graduate school in China in 1978. The campus for graduate study in Hefei was established in 1986. Original campus for graduate study in Beijing was later renamed the Graduate School of the CAS in 2001 and University of Chinese Academy of Sciences in 2012.
In 1995, USTC was amongst the first batch of universities obtaining support through the National 9th Five-Year Plan and the "Project 211". In 1999, USTC was singled out as one of the 9 universities enjoying priority support from the nation's "Plan of Vitalizing Education Action Geared to the 21st Century". Since September 2002, USTC has been implementing its "Project 211" construction during the 10th National Development Plan.
- Bao Xinhe (包信和), President, Physical chemist, academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Shu Gequn (舒歌群), Party Secretary.
- Zhou Guangzhao, Honorary President
- Bai Chunli, Honorary President
- Guo Moruo, September 1958 – June 1978
- Yan Jici, February 1980 – September 1984
- Guan Weiyan, April 1985 – January 1987
- Teng Teng, January 1987 – February 1988
- Gu Chaohao, February 1988 – July 1993
- Tang Honggao, July 1993 – June 1998
- Zhu Qingshi, June 1998 – September 2008
- Hou Jianguo, September 2008 – January 2015
- Wan Lijun, March 2015 – June 2017
- Bao Xinhe, June 2017 – present
USTC consistently adheres to the school-running principle of pursuing the national interest and innovative pioneering. It upholds the combination of science with technology, teaching with research, and theory with practice. In a short period, USTC has turned into a comprehensive national key university with a focus on science and technology. USTC also offers management studies involved with science and technology and the humanities.
With the motto, "Studying diligently, making progress both in study and development of moral character" (勤奋学习，红专并进), USTC has made distinguished achievements in talent fostering, scientific research and technology transfer, turning into an important base of high-qualified talent training and high-level scientific research for the nation. USTC is regarded by the Ministry of Science and Technology as one of the 4 universities with best scientific research performance in China. It ranks among the best in the review of Chinese top universities by the US journal "Science" and the French journal "Research".
There are 13 schools, 27 departments, the Special Class for the Gifted Young, the Experimental Class for the Teaching Reform, the Graduate School, School of Management (Beijing), the Software School, School of Network Education, School of Continuing Education and Institute of Advanced Technology. USTC offers 43 undergraduate specialties, 17 first-category Ph.D. degree programs, 89 second-category Ph.D. degree programs, 105 second-category master's degree specialties. It becomes the key base for the education of the Ph.D. students within the CAS.
USTC has three national research institutions and 6 key laboratories of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). It also has some key scientific research institutions such as the CAS Research Center for Thermal Safety Engineering and Technology.
16 academic societies are affiliated with the University, including the Synchrotron Radiation Committee under the China Society of Physics, the System Simulation Committee under the China Society of Automation, and the Quantum Optics Committee under the China Society of Physics. The University publishes some important academic journals, such as "Journal of the University of Science and Technology", "Fire Science", "Journal of Low Temperature Physics", "Journal of Chemical Physics", "Experimental Mechanics", and "Education and Modernization".
There are more than 3600 faculty and staff numbers, 46 CAS and CAE academicians, 528 professors. The number of students accepting normal higher education at USTC totals around 13794, 8243 undergraduate students, 3873 master's degree students, and 1498 Ph.D. students among them. Besides, it also has 1575 professional master's degree students, 110 post-doctoral fellows and 134 guest professors.
There are five campuses: East, South, West, North and Center Campus. The campuses cover an area of 1.46 million square metres (360 acres), with 890,000 square metres (9,600,000 sq ft) of building area. The library has a collection of 1.73 million books, 3000 kinds of journal in the language of Chinese, 4000 kinds of English, 600,000 electronic books and 20,000 electronic journals in Chinese or in English.
A first-class campus computer network is running within the campus. Five public experimental centers for teaching and research are under construction, namely the Center of Physical Science, Life Science, Information Science, Engineering and Material Science, and Application of Synchrotron Radiation.
The school hospital, is a specific attachment to the university, and holds the aim of providing such services as disease prevention, health care, treatment and health education for the teaching staff and the students. After over forty years of development and construction, the hospital has been steadily expanded, the level of treatment has continuously improved, and the equipment has constantly been upgraded. The hospital covers 5,200 m2, with 110 beds and more than 110 employees.
The hospital is committed to the treatment and health care services for over 10,000 students, about 3,000 teachers and more than 700 retired employees, plus the families of the employees who live on the campus, which adds up to more than 20,000 people. A branch hospital and an outpatient department have been established separately on the west and the south campuses that are also centers for students' living and studying activities. The medical personnel are on duty around the clock for the convenience of the people.
In addition to carrying out daily diagnosis and treatment, the school hospital also, according to the college hygiene regulations, undertakes physical examination services under the principle of prevention. It is already a convention for students to take physical examinations both after their entrance and before graduation, and another check during their college years. Physical examinations are given every two years for school personnel and those who have retired.
To fulfill the demands of the science-major students for medical knowledge, the corresponding doctors of the school hospital have compiled a book titled Health Education for College Students, which, as the textbook for the selective course of health education, illuminates medical knowledge systematically from various angles. In recent years, this course has been taken by increasing numbers of students, and the title "advanced collective" has been bestowed on the hospital by the education authorities.
Campus view: http://en.ustc.edu.cn/news/campus_view/
Since its participation in the CAS Experimental Program of Knowledge Innovation, USTC has achieved a batch of important and innovative results in the basic research of nano science and technology, quantum information science, life science research, fire science and fire protection technology, polar scientific investigation and research, bio-mass clean energy research.
USTC actively encourages and push forward transfer of the research results and the industrialization of high and new technology. The University-Region (Enterprise) Cooperation Committee was established for the strengthening of the cooperation with the local governments and enterprises. It has established and developed the relationship of cooperation with some famous large and medium-sized enterprises such as the Daqing Petroleum Administration, Sinopec, the Bao Steel Group, Lenovo Group, and Haier Group. In total, 16 local governments and enterprises have become members of the USTC-Region (Enterprise) Cooperation Committee. Some research results incubation bases have been established, such as the Hefei National University Garden of Science and Technology, the Luohe Hi-tech Garden, the Guiyang Industrial Garden of Science and Technology, the Shanghai Research and Development Center, and the Shenzhen Futian Base of Industry, Teaching and Research. The Anhui Provincial Government and USTC have jointly presented the "Province-University Cooperation Program", fostering the industrialization of technological results. USTC also actively files applications for the "Seed Funds" established by prefectures and cities in China, sparing no efforts in making contribution to the regional economic construction and social development.
USTC has concluded agreements of cooperation and exchange with around 100 universities and research institutions in more than 30 nations and regions. Around 300 international experts and scholars will visit USTC every year for lecturing and collaborative research. USTC has sent around 10,000 individual visits to more than 30 nations and regions for study and cooperative research.
There are 16 affiliated academic societies, including the Synchrotron Radiation Committee under the China Society of Physics, the System Simulation Committee under the China Society of Automation, and the Quantum Optics Committee under the China Society of Physics.
|Global – Overall|
|ARWU World||73 (2020)|
|QS World||93 (2021)|
|THE World||87 (2021)|
|THE Reputation||61-70 (2020)|
|USNWR Global||124 (2021)|
|Regional – Overall|
|QS BRICS||4 (2019)|
|THE Asia||10 (2020)|
|THE Emerging Economies||4 (2020)|
|National – Overall|
|THE National||4 (2021)|
|USNWR National||4 (2021)|
USTC has taken a leading position among Chinese universities on the number of research papers published internationally and in the citation rate of the papers. The 2021 QS World University Rankings ranked USTC 93rd overall in the world. The 2021 US News Best Global Universities ranked USTC 124th overall in the world and 4th in Mainland China. The 2021 Times Higher Education World University Rankings ranked USTC 87th overall in the world and 4th in Mainland China.
Only the National Laboratories, State Key Laboratories, and Key Laboratories of the Chinese Academy of Sciences are listed below, among which the National Laboratories have the highest qualification. USTC is the only university in mainland China which possess two National Laboratories at the same time.
National Laboratories (2)
- The National Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory
- Hefei National Laboratory for Physical Sciences at the Microscale (under construction).
State Key Laboratories and Ministerial Level Units
- The State Key Laboratory of Fire Science (SKLFS)
- National High Performance Computing Center (Hefei)
- National Engineering Laboratory of Speech and Language Information Processing
- The State Key Laboratory of Particle Detection and Electronics (Under Construction)
- Mengcheng National Geophysical Observatory
- Microsoft Key Laboratory of Multimedia Computing and Communications, Ministry of Education
Key Laboratories of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Key Laboratory of Bond Selective Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Key Laboratory of Wu Wenjun Mathematics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Key Laboratory of Quantum Information, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Engineering & Technology Research Center for Thermal Safety, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Key Laboratory of Material Mechanical Behavior and Material Design, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Key Laboratory of Structural Analysis, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Key Laboratory of Structural Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Key Laboratory of Crust-Mantle Materials and Environment, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Strong Magnetic Field Research Center, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Key Laboratory of Basic Plasma Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Key Laboratory of Energy Conversion Materials, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Key Laboratory of Galaxies and Cosmology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Network Communication System and Control Laboratory, Chinese Academy of Sciences (training building)
- The Key Laboratory of Soft Matter Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Key Laboratory of Brain Function and Brain Disease, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Key Laboratory of Electromagnetic, Space, and Information, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Research Center of Solar Thermal Conversion, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Quantum Technology and Application Research Center, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Schools and Departments
Highlights: USTC set up the first graduate school in China in 1978 to effectively cultivate its postgraduate students.
- Special Class for the Gifted Young
- School of Mathematical Sciences
- School of Physical Sciences
- Department of Modern Physics
- Department of Astronomy
- Department of Physics
- Department of Optics and Optical Engineering
- Physics Experiment Teaching Center
- School of Chemistry and Materials Science
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Chemical Physics
- Department of Materials Science and Engineering
- Department of Polymer Science and Engineering
- Chemical Experimental Teaching Center
- School of Nuclear Science and Technology
- School of Life Science
- Molecular Biology and Cell Biology
- Neurobiology and Biophysics
- Systems Biology
- Biomedicine and Biotechnology
- School of Engineering Science
- Modern Mechanics
- Thermal Science and Energy Engineering
- Precision Machinery and Instrumentation
- School of Information Science and Technology
- Electronic Science and Technology
- Electrical Engineering and Information Science
- Information Security
- School of Computer Science and Technology
- Computer Science and Technology
- School of Earth and Space Science
- Earth and Space Science
- Faculty of Geochemistry and Environmental Science
- School of Software Engineering
- School of Management
- Statistics and Finance
- Management Science
- Business Management (Information Management and Decision Science)
- Humanities and Social Science
- Sci-tech Communication and Sci-tech Policy
- The Teaching and Research Division of Marxism
- Scientific History and Archaeometry
- Center for Modern Art
- School of Environment Science and Electrooptical Technology
- School of Material Science and Engineering
- Suzhou Institute for Advanced Study, USTC
- Shanghai Institute for Advanced Studies, USTC
- Institute of Advanced Technology, USTC
- Continuing Education
Notable faculty members
- Zhou Guangzhao (1929–) – Famous theoretical physicist, Vice-chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress of China, Honorary President of USTC at present.
- Yan Jici (1901–1996) – Pioneer of Modern physics research and education in China, former Vice-president, President and Honorary President of USTC.
- Qian Linzhao (1906–1999) – Famous physicist and educator, pioneer of scientific history and education in China, former Vice-president of USTC.
- Fang Lizhi (1936–2012) – Former professor of astrophysics and vice president of the USTC
- Hua Luogeng (1910–1985) – Pioneer of modern mathematics research and education in China, former Chairman of the Department of Mathematics and Vice-president of USTC.
- Guo Moruo (1892–1978) – A Chinese author, poet, historian, archaeologist, the first president of USTC.
- Meng Xuenong (1948–) – Former Mayor of Beijing, and former Governor of Shanxi Province
- Qian Xuesen (1911–2009) – Father of missiles of China, former Chairman of the Department of Mechanics with USTC.
- Zhao Zhongyao (1902–1998) – Pioneer of modern particle physics research and education in China, one of the first in the world to find positrons, former Chairman of the Department of Modern Physics with USTC.
- "Best universities in China 2018". Times Higher Education. 6 September 2017.
- "教育部 财政部 国家发展改革委 关于公布世界一流大学和一流学科建设高校及建设 学科名单的通知 (Notice from the Ministry of Education and other national governmental departments announcing the list of double first class universities and disciplines)".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-07-06. Retrieved 2007-07-13.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "China Vitae". Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- http://www.mohrss.gov.cn/SYrlzyhshbzb/sydqjdxs/SYguowuyuanrenmian/201706/t20170612_272266.html. Missing or empty
- "提示信息". Archived from the original on 2007-03-05. Retrieved 2007-03-07.
- Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020
- QS World University Rankings 2021
- https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2020/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats. Missing or empty
- "THE Reputation World University Rankings 2020". Retrieved 27 November 2020.
- "QS University Rankings: BRICS 2019". Top Universities.
- "Asia University Rankings". 2018-02-05.
- "THE Emerging University Rankings 2020". Retrieved 27 November 2020.
- https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2021/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats. Missing or empty
- "QS World University Rankings 2021 Results". February 2017.
- "US News Best Global Universities 2021 Results".
- "Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021". 2018-09-26.
- "National Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory". Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "Hefei National Laboratory for Physical Sciences at the Microscale". Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "State Key Laboratory of Fire Science". Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "National High Performance Computing Center at Hefei". Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- jumbot,随风缘. "语音及语言信息处理国家工程实验室 -". Archived from the original on 4 July 2015. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-07-06. Retrieved 2007-07-13.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "中国科学技术大学等离子体物理实验室". Archived from the original on 11 July 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "School of Gifted Young, USTC". en.scgy.ustc.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "School of Mathematical Sciences, USTC". math.ustc.edu.cn. Retrieved 2015-09-22.
- "School of Physical Sciences,University of Science and Technology of China". Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "School of Chemistry and Materials Science". Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "School of Nuclear Science and Technology". Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "University of Science and Technology of China". en.biox.ustc.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "School of Engineering Science USTC". en.ses.ustc.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "Welcome to School of Information Science and Technology!". en.sist.ustc.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "School of Computer Science and Technology,USTC". en.cs.ustc.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "University of Science and Technology of China". en.ess.ustc.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "University of Science and Technology of China". sse_en.ustc.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "The School of Management,University of Science and Technology of China". en.business.ustc.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "University of Science and Technology of China". en.hsss.ustc.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of Science and Technology of China.|