University of South Asia (Pakistan)
|Motto||Work Smart and Reach High|
|Vice-Chancellor||Mian Imran Masood|
|Location||Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Campus||Cantt and Raiwind|
|Colors||Blue and white|
|Affiliations||PEC, PBC, PCP|
The University of South Asia (Urdu: جامعہ جنوبی ایشیا) or USA is a chartered university located in Lahore, Pakistan. It was established in 1988 as a computer training institution with the name of National College of Computer Sciences (NCCS). More than 100,000 students underwent training programs in Computer Sciences. It was developed to promote computer education but has expanded to provide chartered degrees in fields that include Business Studies, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Architecture, Law, Media Studies, Physical Therapy, Nutrition, and Fashion and Interior Design.
All undergraduate and graduate programs at the university are recognized by the Higher Education Commission and the government regulatory bodies in Pakistan. As a chartered university, all degrees awarded are internationally recognized.
The university has three campuses:
- Cantt Campus
- Raiwind Campus
- Burki Campus
The Vice Chancellor is Ex-Minister of Education Mian Imran Masood.
The Sadiq Memorial Educational Society established a chain of National Colleges of Computer Science throughout the country to offer computer science programs. The Bachelor of Computer Science program was launched in 1992 and Intermediate with Computer Science was introduced in 1994. In 1995 MBA and MCS programs were launched. The National Group of Colleges established a chartered degree-awarding higher education institution called the Institute of South Asia on April 14, 2003 vide “The Institute of South Asia, Lahore, Ordinance 2003, Punjab Ordinance No. IV of 2003”. The institute was upgraded to the status of a university on May 29, 2004, with the Chief Minister of the Punjab inaugurating the University of South Asia.
In order to increase education across Punjab, a chain of colleges "Heritage International Colleges" was launched. Business, Computer Sciences and Humanities are the disciplines that are promoted at these colleges.
- The Department of Architecture offers a five-year degree program Bachelor in Architecture Design (B. Arch). Students are given a license number from PCATP on the completion of the degree.
- The Department of Biotechnology and Agro Sciences offers the program Bachelor in Biotechnology and Agro Sciences.
- The Department of Building and Architecture program combines architecture, management, and technology.
- The Department of Civil Engineering offers a bachelor's and master's degree in civil engineering.
- The Department of Computer Sciences offers a bachelor's and master's degree in computer science.
- The Department of Electrical Engineering offers an undergraduate and graduate degree in Electrical Engineering. Students who meet the requirements of the degree are given a PEC Number by Pakistan Engineering Council.
- The Department of Technology offers bachelor of Civil Technology , bachelor of Electrical Technology and bachelor of Mechanical Technology
- The Department of Fashion Design offers a Bachelor and Masters in Fashion Design, including designing clothes, interiors, and furniture.
- The Department of Health Sciences offers the degrees of Doctor of Nutrition Sciences and Doctor of Physiotherapy.
- The School of Law offers a 5-year joint degree programme of Bachelors and LL.B, with three specializations, which are all 'qualifying', letting students to proceed straight onto the professional stage of training to become a lawyer.
- The Faculty of Management Sciences offers a Bachelor (BBA Hons.) and Masters (MBA) degree. With an Associate in Science in Business Administration degree from USA, students will know how to communicate, use technical business tools to perform their duties, analyze and react to the economic issues facing companies today, collect and analyze business data to make inferences and solve business problems.
- Media Studies
- The Department of Career Counseling and Placement Center offers students academic and career guidance to help them make informed decisions. The department offers seminars for students and outsiders seeking to develop their skill sets.