University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice
|Jihočeská univerzita v Českých Budějovicích|
|Latin: Universitas Bohemiae Meridionalis Budovicensis|
|Established||September 28, 1991|
|Rector||doc. ing. Tomáš Machula, Ph.D., Th.D.|
|Students||13 458 (October 31, 2012)|
|Location||České Budějovice, Czech Republic
University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice (Czech. Jihočeská univerzita v Českých Budějovicích, lat. Universitas Bohemiae Meridionalis Budovicensis, JČU) is a public university located in the city of České Budějovice with remote locations in cities of Tábor, Vodňany, Nové Hrady).
The university was established on September 28, 1991 on the basis of two faculties located in the city of České Budějovice - Pedagogical Faculty (since 1948 a branch of the Faculty of Education of Charles University, and later became an independent faculty) and the Faculty of Economics (since 1960, part of the Prague University of Agriculture). Next to them new faculties Faculty of Biological Science (based on the institutes of Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Faculty of Theology, and Faculty of Health and Social Studies were found.
The university consists of eight faculties, as follows:
- Faculty of Philosophy
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Theology
- Faculty of Health and Social Studies
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Fisheries and Protection of Waters
Czech Republic Academy of Sciences Affiliated Institutes:
- Biology Centre of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, v. v. i.
- Institute of Botany - Detached Centre in Třeboň
- Institute of Philosophy of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, v. v. i.
- Institute of History of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, v. v. i.
- Institute of Microbiology - Detached Centre in Třeboň
- Institute of Systems Biology and Ecology of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, v. v. i.
- Institute of Animal Physiology and Genetics of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, v. v. i.
Rectors of JČU
- Jiří Divíšek (1991–1998)
- prof. Ing. František Střeleček, CSc., dr.h.c. (1998 – 2003)
- prof. PhDr. Václav Bůžek, CSc. (2004 – 2011)
- prof. Ing. Magdalena Hrabánková, CSc., prof. h. c. (March 2011 – August 2011 )
- prof. RNDr. Libor Grubhoffer, CSc, (2012 - 2016)
- doc. ing. Tomáš Machula, Ph.D., Th.D. (2016 - present)
- "Jihočeská univerzita přišla o rektorku, zemřela náhle na dovolené" (in Czech). idnes.cz. 1 September 2011. Retrieved 19 November 2011.
|This Czech Republic university, college or other education institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|