University of Tabriz
University of Tabriz
|University of Azarbayjan (1947–1979)|
Motto in English
|Refinements and Education|
|Established||-University of Azarbayjan (1946)
-University of Tabriz (renamed 1979)
|Endowment||US$ 56.05 million
(December 10, 2014)
|Location|| Tabriz, Iran
The University of Tabriz (Persian: دانشگاه تبريز) also known as Tabriz University is a public university located in Tabriz, East Azarbaijan with the fundamental aim of creating a center of excellence in higher education and research. It is one of the five high-ranked universities in Iran and one of the ten most selective universities in the country. The university of Tabriz is the second-oldest university in Iran after the University of Tehran, and has the second largest campus area in the country which is the biggest academic institution in northwest of the country. The university is also a member of the Caucasus University Association.
Today, the university provides both undergraduate and graduate programs in 22 main departments. The student body consists of about 13,000 undergraduate students and 5,000 graduate students from all over the country. Funding for the University of Tabriz is provided by the government. Admission to the university for Iranian applicants is through national entrance examination which is administered annually by the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology (Iran) and for international applicants through some exclusive regulations.
This university is one of the most prestigious universities in Iran. The initial idea of establishing the University of Tabriz was by Ja'far Pishevari during Azarbaijan People's Government on 12 June 1946. After defeating the pro-soviet local government, the university was re-established. The newly established educational institution started its activities under the name of the University of Azarabadeghan with Faculties of Medicine, Agriculture, and Pedagogy. The University of Azarabadeghan was renamed as the University of Tabriz following the 1979 Islamic Revolution. It is now educating more than 14000 undergraduate and postgraduate students, with 517 academic staff of whom 327 are Ph.D. holders. Out of this teaching staff, 45 are full professors, 62 are associate professors, 220 are assistant professors and the remaining are instructors. A body of over 1000 personnel is supporting academic activities. Today, the university provides both undergraduate and graduate programs in 22 main departments. The student body consists of about 13,000 undergraduate students and 5,000 graduate students from all over the country. Undergraduate admission to the University of Tabriz is limited to the top 1 percent of students who pass the national entrance examination administered annually by the Iranian Ministry of Science, Research, and Technology.
Research and Facilities
University of Tabriz, with a valuable record of seventy years in education and research, has several research centers, including Center of Excellence in Mechatronics Systems, Center for Applied Physics and Astronomical Research, Biotechnology Center for Pharmaceutical Herbs, Research Center for Fundamental Sciences, Geographic Research Center, Three-Scholars Research Center (Se-Allameh Tabrizi), Center for Social Research, Center for History and Culture as well as Khaje-Nasireddin Toosi Observatory. Thanks to its scientific and research potentials and capabilities, University of Tabriz is now recognized as the Center of Excellence for six specialized fields of "Geographical Studies of Northwest Iran", "Biology", "Mechatronics", "Molecular Plant Breeding (MPB)", "New Materials and Clean Chemistry", and "Photonics & Plasma".
- Main campus in Tabriz
- Aras International Campus
- Miyaneh Technical College
- Marand Technical College
Faculties and Colleges
- Ahar Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Animal Medicine & Biology
- Faculty of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering
- Faculty Faculty of Chemistry
- Faculty of Civil Engineering
- Faculty of Geography & Planning
- Faculty of Economics, Management & Business
- Faculty of Education & Psychology
- Faculty of Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Faculty of Engineering - Emerging Technologies
- Faculty of Law & Social Sciences
- Faculty of Mathematical Sciences
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Faculty of Natural Sciences
- Faculty of Persian & Foreign Languages
- Faculty of Physical Education & Sports Science
- Faculty of Physics
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Center of Excellence in Mechatronics Systems
- Applied Physics and Astronomy
- Fundamental Science
- Iranian History and Culture
- Islamic & Humanity Science
- Social Science
|Nosrat-ollah Jahanshahlou||1946-1947||University of Tehran||Medicine|
|Manouchehr Eghbal||1950-1952||Académie Nationale de Médecine||Medicine|
|Seyyed Mohammad Sajjadidi||1952-1952||Law|
|Houshang Montaseri||1967-1968||University of Strasbourg||Mathematics|
|Manouchehr Mortazavi||1977-1978||University of Tehran||Literature|
|Hossein Sadeghi-Shoja||1980-1983||Royal College of Surgeons of England||Medicine|
|Husain Saiflu||1983-1986||University of Stirling||Mathematics|
|Seyyed-Mehdi Golabi||1989-1991||University of Paris||Chemistry/Pharmaceutical|
|Mohammad-Hosein Pour-Feyzi||1991-2002||University of Wales||Science|
|Mohammad-Reza Pour-Mohammadi||2002-2005||Cardiff University||Urban Planning|
|Mohammad-Hosein Sorour-odin||2005-2008||University of Birmingham||Chemistry|
|Mohammad-Taqi Alavi||2008-2012||University of Tehran||Philosophy|
|Parviz Azhideh||2012-2014||Allameh Tabatabaei University||Literature|
|Mohammad-Reza Pour-Mohammadi||2014-||Cardiff University||Urban Planning|
- Samad Behrangi — Iranian writer and social critic
- Azim Gheychisaz — Iranian mountain climber
- Faraj Sarkohi — Iranian journalist and literacy critic
- Gholam Hossein Saedi — writer and playwright
- Hooshang Amirahmadi — political analyst, president of the American-Iranian council
- Hassan Mansoor — energy economist
- Mehdi Bakeri — former chief commander of Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution
- Ali Akbar Entezami — father of the chemistry and polymer science of Iran
- Ali Saeedlou — Vice-President of Iran
- Ali Abdolalizadeh — former housing minister of Iran
- Easmaeil Jabbarzadeh — governor of East Azerbaijan
- Ebrahim Rezaei Babadi — politician, governor-general of Kermanshah Province
- Kaveh Madani — scientist, environmental activist and Reader at the Centre for Environmental Policy of Imperial College London.
- "Financial information=December 10, 2014".
- "رئيس دانشگاه تبريز رفتني شد/ پورمحمدي، سرپرست بزرگترين دانشگاه استان". Edalat Press Agency. 22 June 2015. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- "About University -Student Statistics & Total Number:". University of Tabriz. 19 June 2010. Archived from the original on 26 October 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- Tüm Uyeler. kunib.com
- "The Mathematics Genealogy Project - Husain Saiflu". Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "Azim Gheichisaz - درباره من". Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "پدر علم شيمي و پليمر ايران درگذشت". Fars News Agency. July 2015. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- Iran Parliament's Research Center
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of Tabriz.|
- tabrizu.ac.ir, official website (Persian language)
- tabrizu.ac.ir/en, official website (English language)
- Alumni Association of the Technical Faculty of University of Tabriz (Persian language)