University of Tabriz
|University of Azarabadeghan (1947–1979)|
Motto in English
|Refinements and Education|
|Endowment||US$ 56.05 million|
(December 10, 2014)
|Chancellor||Mir Reza Majidi|
|Campus||Urban 1,445 acres (2.3 sq mi; 5.8 km2) land and 80 acres (0.1 sq mi; 0.3 km2) Buildings and Offices|
The University of Tabriz (Persian: دانشگاه تبريز) is a public university located in Tabriz, East Azarbaijan with the fundamental aim of creating a center of excellence in higher education and research. It is one of the top five high-ranked universities in Iran and one of the ten most selective universities in the country. The University of Tabriz is the second-oldest university in Iran after the University of Tehran, and has the second largest campus area in the country which is the biggest academic institution in northwest of the country. The university is also a member of the Caucasus University Association.
Today, the university provides both undergraduate and graduate programs in 22 main departments. The student body consists of about 13,000 undergraduate students and 5,000 graduate students from all over the country. Funding for the University of Tabriz is provided by the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology. Admission to the university for Iranian applicants is through national entrance examination which is administered annually by the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology and for international applicants through some exclusive regulations.
This university is one of the most prestigious universities in Iran. The university started its activities under the name of the University of Azarabadegan with Faculties of Medicine, Agriculture, and Pedagogy in 1947 after legislation of the Establishment of the Universities in the Cities act by the National Parliament of Iran. The University of Azarabadegan was renamed as the University of Tabriz following the 1979 Islamic Revolution. In 1985 and following the approval of Islamic parliament all the faculties and centers affiliated to medical sciences in Iran were separated and started their work independently under the title of medical universities. Thereafter, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences was separated from the University of Tabriz and continued its activities under the supervision of the ministry of health and medical education.
It is now educating more than 14,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students, with over 800 academic staff of whom 327 are Ph.D. holders. Out of this teaching staff, 45 are full professors, 62 are associate professors, 220 are assistant professors and the remaining are instructors. A body of over 1,000 personnel is supporting academic activities. Today, the university provides both undergraduate and graduate programs in 22 main departments. The student body consists of about 13,000 undergraduate students and 5,000 graduate students from all over the country. Undergraduate admission to the University of Tabriz is limited to the top 1 percent of students who pass the national entrance examination administered annually by the Iranian Ministry of Science, Research, and Technology.
Research and Facilities
University of Tabriz, with a valuable record of seventy years in education and research, has several research centers, including Center of Excellence in Mechatronics Systems, Center for Applied Physics and Astronomical Research, Biotechnology Center for Pharmaceutical Herbs, Research Center for Fundamental Sciences, Geographic Research Center, Three-Scholars Research Center (Se-Allameh Tabrizi), Center for Social Research, Center for History and Culture as well as Khaje-Nasireddin Toosi Observatory. Thanks to its scientific and research potentials and capabilities, University of Tabriz is now recognized as the Center of Excellence for six specialized fields of "Geographical Studies of Northwest Iran", "Biology", "Mechatronics", "Molecular Plant Breeding (MPB)", "New Materials and Clean Chemistry", and "Photonics & Plasma".
- Main Campus in Tabriz
- Aras International Campus
- Miyaneh Technical College
- Marand Technical College
Faculties and Colleges
- Ahar Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Faculty of Biology
- Faculty of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering
- Faculty of Chemistry
- Faculty of Civil Engineering
- Faculty of Geography & Planning
- Faculty of Economics, Management & Business
- Faculty of Education & Psychology
- Faculty of Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Faculty of Engineering – Emerging Technologies
- Faculty of Law & Social Sciences
- Faculty of Mathematical Sciences
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Faculty of Natural Sciences
- Faculty of Persian & Foreign Languages
- Faculty of Physical Education & Sports Science
- Faculty of Physics
- Center of Excellence in Mechatronics Systems
- Applied Physics and Astronomy
- Fundamental Science
- Iranian History and Culture
- Islamic & Humanity Science
- Social Science
|Manouchehr Eghbal||1950–1952||Académie Nationale de Médecine||Medicine|
|Seyyed Mohammad Sajjadidi||1952||Law|
|Houshang Montaseri||1967–1968||University of Strasbourg||Mathematics|
|Manouchehr Mortazavi||1977–1978||University of Tehran||Literature|
|Hossein Sadeghi-Shoja||1980–1983||Royal College of Surgeons of England||Medicine|
|Husain Saiflu||1983–1986||University of Stirling||Mathematics|
|Seyyed-Mehdi Golabi||1989–1991||University of Paris||Chemistry/Pharmaceutical|
|Mohammad-Hosein Pour-Feyzi||1991–2002||University of Wales||Science|
|Mohammad-Reza Pour-Mohammadi||2002–2005||Cardiff University||Urban Planning|
|Mohammad-Hosein Sorour-odin||2005–2008||University of Birmingham||Chemistry|
|Mohammad-Taqi Alavi||2008–2012||University of Tehran||Philosophy|
|Parviz Azhideh||2012–2014||Allameh Tabatabaei University||Literature|
|Mohammad-Reza Pour-Mohammadi||2014–||Cardiff University||Urban Planning|
- Samad Behrangi – Iranian writer and social critic
- Azim Gheychisaz – Iranian mountain climber
- Faraj Sarkohi – Iranian journalist and literacy critic
- Gholam Hossein Saedi – writer and playwright
- Hooshang Amirahmadi – political analyst, president of the American-Iranian council
- Hassan Mansoor – energy economist
- Mehdi Bakeri – former chief commander of Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps
- Ali Akbar Entezami – father of the chemistry and polymer science of Iran
- Ali Saeedlou – Vice-President of Iran
- Ali Abdolalizadeh – former housing minister of Iran
- Easmaeil Jabbarzadeh – governor of East Azerbaijan
- Ebrahim Rezaei Babadi – politician, governor-general of Kermanshah Province
- Kaveh Madani – Deputy Head of Iran's Department of Environment.
- "Financial information=December 10, 2014".
- "رییس فعلی دانشگاه تبریز". University of Tabriz.
- "University Of Tabriz".
- "About University -Student Statistics & Total Number:". University of Tabriz. 19 June 2010. Archived from the original on 20 October 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- Tüm Uyeler. kunib.com
- "University Of Tabriz".
- "History of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences".
- "University of Tabriz".
- "The Mathematics Genealogy Project – Husain Saiflu". Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "Azim Gheichisaz - درباره من". Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "پدر علم شيمي و پليمر ايران درگذشت". Fars News Agency. July 2015. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- Iran Parliament's Research Center
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of Tabriz.|
- tabrizu.ac.ir, official website (Persian language)
- tabrizu.ac.ir/en, official website (English language)
- Alumni Association of the Technical Faculty of University of Tabriz (Persian language)