University of Tasmania SC
|Full name||University of Tasmania Soccer Club|
|Nickname(s)||"The Bees", "The Students"|
|Ground||Olinda Grove Football Ground, Mount Nelson|
University play their home games at Olinda Grove Football Ground, in Mount Nelson, Tasmania. Their home ground has excellent facilities, and spectacular views over the city of Hobart and the River Derwent. Olinda Grove has two full size grounds and a smaller youth ground. The pitch has an enclosed canteen area above the change rooms that overlooks all three pitches.
University first competed in the KO Cup in 1957, although it is believed they played football at the university prior to this time. They did well in their inaugural year, although drawing the KO Cup final 1–1 against legends South Hobart, they won on the toss of a coin. They won again after a 1–1 draw the following year, this time against ANM, and this time by right of the most corners in extra-time.
1960 saw them Division 1 champions, and promoted into the Southern Premier League for the first time, where they finished 5th in their first season. University only lasted 1 season before being relegated in 1962, and then yo-yoing in and out of the premier league for most of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. The team being primarily based upon University Students made it hard for them to assemble strong squads over time. Many good players came, and went upon their graduations. 1983 saw them finish third, their best result in over 20 years of league football, but they were soon finishing mid to low table again. The club dominated the Southern Premier League in the early 1990s, but failed to win promotion into the State League due to poor facilities. The club's first real success came with an unexpected first ever Tasmanian State League title in 1999, just one season after receiving promotion into the State League for the first time ever. They followed this up with a second state title via play-off versus Northern champions Launceston City in 2001.
Although their successes do not compare with some of the more illustrious clubs in Tasmania, they have made a solid start to the 21st century, and will be looking at using that as a solid platform from which to build greater success in the future.
- State Championship: (twice) 1999, 2001
- Southern Premierships: (10 times) 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2003, 2014, 2015
- Southern Premier Runners-up: (once) 2004
- KO Cup Winners: (3 times) 1957, 1958, 2006
- KO Cup Runners-up: (4 times) 1959, 1963, 1965, 2004
- Cadbury Trophy Runners-up: (once) 1994
- Summer Cup Winners: (twice) 2002, 2006
- Falkinder Cup Runners-up: (once) 1961
Tasmanian Southern Premier League Player of the Year Award
Tasmanian Southern Premier League Leading Goalscorer Award
Tasmanian Southern Premier League Reserve Leading Goalscorer Award
Tasmanian Southern Premier League Under 20 Leading Goalscorer Award
- Pless, Walter. "Miles Barnard wins 2013 Vic Tuting Medal". www.walterpless.com.au. Retrieved 2016-01-31.
- "Football Federation Tasmania: University's Huigsloot takes home Vic Tuting". www.footballfedtas.com.au. Retrieved 2016-01-31.
- "Football Federation Tasmania: Huigsloot collects second Vic Tuting". www.footballfedtas.com.au. Retrieved 2016-01-31.