University of Utah Research Park
The University of Utah Research Park, also known as Bionic Valley, is located on the campus of the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, United States. The facility has helped create many businesses based on the work of university scientists over the years. Research Park now houses more than forty companies alongside sixty-nine academic departments and employs more than 7,500 people. The annual in-state productivity of park residents exceeds $550 million.
In 1968, the Utah state legislature allocated 320 acres along the Bonneville Shoreline Trail to develop a research park. Research Park was intended to stimulate economic development within the State of Utah and encourage students who graduate from the University of Utah to stay in Salt Lake City by providing research jobs.
In 1982, when the successful implantation of the Jarvik 7 artificial heart attracted international headlines, artificial organ and medical device research and development at the University of Utah led Science Digest and the New York Times to nickname Salt Lake City the "Bionic Valley": "the epicenter of a bioengineering effort that promises to shake up the entire health-care system."
The following companies and institutes are current or former residents of research park:
- ARUP Laboratories
- NPS Pharmaceuticals
- BioFire Diagnostics
- Myriad Genetics
- Echelon Research Laboratories
- University of Utah Center for Reproductive Medicine
- Utah Poison Control Center
- Rockwell Collins
- Huntsman Chemical Corporation
- University Neuropsychiatric Institute
- Wasatch Advisors
- Cross Creek Capital
- Navigen Pharmaceuticals
- Recursion Pharmaceuticals
- Williams Companies
- Blackrock Microsystems
- Verum TCS, LLC
- SWSA Medical Ventures, LLC
- Alucent Biomedical
- Berlin, Leslie (1 November 2006). The Man Behind the Microchip: Robert Noyce and the Invention of Silicon Valley. Oxford University Press. p. 402.
- Curry, Bill (10 November 1985). "Utah University Spurs Creation of 'Bionic Valley' : Artificial Body Parts May Aid Thousands". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- Sobel, Robert (21 March 2002). The Great Boom 1950-2000: How a Generation of Americans Created the Most Prosperous Society. Macmillan.
- Stefoff, Rebecca; Mead, Wendy (1 September 2009). Utah: Celebrate the State. Marshall Cavendish. p. 144.
- "Economic Development: Research Park". University of Utah. Retrieved 2009-04-08.
- "Title 53B Chapter 17" (PDF). Utah Code. Utah State Legislature. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- "East Bench Master Plan" (PDF). Plan Salt Lake City. Salt Lake City Corporation. April 2016. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- "Utah's 'Bionic Valley' Produces Another Life-Changing Medical Device". Montana Associated Technology Roundtables. 20 April 2010. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- Zaslowsky, Dyan (13 October 1985). "Regional Job Roundup - Mountain". The New York Times. Retrieved 1 April 2017.