University of Uyo
|University of Cross River State (UNICROSS)|
|Motto||Unity, Learning and Service.|
|Chancellor||Adamu Maje, Emir of Hadejia|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Enefiok Essien|
|Location||Uyo, Akwa-Ibom State, Nigeria|
The university was formerly known as the University of Cross River State (UNICROSS). On October 1, 1991 the federal government of Nigeria established it as a federal university and the name was changed to the University of Uyo. The university inherited students, staff, academic programmes and the entire facilities of the erstwhile University of Cross River State established by Cross River State in 1983. Academic activities commenced during the 1991/92 academic session. UNIUYO has about 13 faculties and is expanding.
UNIUYO is in the heart of Uyo, capital of Akwa Ibom, Nigeria's second largest oil-producing state. Uyo is easily accessible by road,though there is an international airport for external use(s). It operates from four campuses:
- The Permanent Site/Main Campus which accommodates Parts of Central Administration, Faculties of Engineering and Natural and Applied Sciences, International Centre for Energy and Environmental Sustainability Research (ICEESR), and the Postgraduate School
- The Town Campus which accommodates Faculties of Arts, Education, Social Sciences, Pharmacy
- The Annex Campus, home for the Faculties of Agriculture, Business Administration, Law, Engineering, Environment Studies and General Studies
- The Ime Umana Campus, Ediene Abak, which accommodates the Pre-Degree, JUPEB and other special courses.
The Permanent Site/Main Campus of the university along Nwaniba Road, Uyo is about 4.5 km from the city centre and covers an area of about 1,443 hectares.
The Library has an active collection of 46,745 volumes and handles about 409,977 lending and reference inquiries annually. Current journals stand at 271 representing all disciplinary interests. The library is equipped with modern computers and has a reading space of 970.51 metres with seating capacity for 698.
There are four main divisions: Acquisition, Lending, Processing, and Research. The Research Division comprises Reference, Serials, Special Collections and Government Collections. The Special Collection comprises Nyong Essien, Africana and Government Collection. Acquisition and Processing selects and orders library materials and organizes them for effective use. The Public Service Division deals directly with readers, regulates the use of library materials, and handles reference questions. The office of university librarian provides data for planning, budgeting, control and coordination of the library.
The University Health Centre provides free health services to students, staff and staff family members. It is open to the public. Routine services provided include:
- Medical certification
- Ante-natal care
- Family planning
- General surgery
- Medical and laboratory services
- Out-patient and in-patient care
- Environmental and preventive health services
The fourth Vice-Chancellor was Professor Comfort Ekpo who was also the first woman. In December 2015 she wrote to the minister of Education, Adamu Adamu to ask that the appointment of her successor, Enefiok Essien, should be delayed. This was due to accusation of sexual assuault and forgery that were being discussed in the press.
- John James Akpan Udo-Edehe, politician
- Onofiok Luke, legislator
- Ime Bishop Umoh, actor
- Ini Edo,actress
- Aniekan Umanah, politician
- Rt. Hon Usenobong Akpabio, politician
- Hon. Owen Owen, politician
Akpan Hogan Ekpo (Economist/Director-General WAIFEM)
Stella Benard Idiong (Fine Arts)
Joshua Uzoigwe (Music)
- "The University of Uyo: Welcome University of Uyo, Nigeria". uniuyo.nucdb.edu.ng. Retrieved 2016-01-27.
- "Uniuyo gets new VC - The Nation Nigeria". The Nation Nigeria. Retrieved 2016-01-27.
- "Emir of Hadejia named Uniuyo chancellor - Premium Times Nigeria". Premium Times Nigeria. Retrieved 2016-01-27.
- "The University of Uyo: School Library". uniuyo.nucdb.edu.ng. Retrieved 2016-01-27.
- Leading Women, 2014, SunNewsOnline.com, Retrieved 8 February 2016
- UNIUYO VC asks education minister to suspend appointment of professor indicted for sexual assault, December 2015, Premium Times NG, Retrieved 8 February 2016