University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn
Uniwersytet Warmińsko-Mazurski w Olsztynie
|Latin: Universitas Varmiensis-Masuriensis in Olsztyn|
|Academy of Agriculture and Technology, Pedagogical Institute|
|Established||September 1, 1999|
|Rector||Professor Ryszard Górecki|
|Affiliations||SOCRATES-ERASMUS, CIRCEOS, EUA|
The University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn was established on 1 September 1999, in accordance with the new Statute of Sejm signed by Polish President Aleksander Kwaśniewski, as well as Minister of Education Mirosław Handke, in August of the same year. Ryszard Górecki became its first chancellor. The Faculty of Theology was established with an agreement between Polish Episcopate and the government, in the presence of Cardinal Józef Glemp, among others. The university's first academic year started in October 1999.
The core structure of the university was based on an agreement between the academic senates of three institutions of higher learning already established in the city: the Academy of Agriculture and Technology, the Pedagogical Institute, and the Warmia Institute of Theology.
The university has 16 faculties, out of which eight hold full academic rights and therefore entitle the university to operate as an autonomous unit.
- The Faculty of Animal Bioengineering
- The Faculty of Arts
- The Faculty of Biology and Biotechnology
- The Faculty of Economic Sciences
- The Faculty of Environmental Management and Agriculture
- The Faculty of Environmental Sciences and Fisheries
- The Faculty of Food Sciences
- The Faculty of Geodesy and Land Management
- The Faculty of Humanities
- The Faculty of Law and Administration
- The Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Sciences
- The Faculty of Medical Sciences
- The Faculty of Societal Sciences
- The Faculty of Technical Sciences
- The Faculty of Theology
- The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- University Library
The University Library is a unit of University structure which performs teaching and research assignments and provides services to other units. It is a scientific library accessible to everyone. Its book collection is the result of amalgamating the libraries of partner schools, including the seminary library, whose history dates back to the 16th century. The library building, situated in the campus, is a new "intelligent" building, with an integrated system managing all the systems inside (Building Management System), with air conditioning, monitoring and easy access for the disabled.
- The Centre of Polish Culture and Language For Foreigners
as one of the general public units of the University of Warmia and Mazury, was established on 28 January 2005 by the UWM Senate. The Centre is located in the new centre for the Faculty of Humanities in Kortowo.
- University Publishing House
- Ryszard Bober (born 1956), politician
- Marian Jeliński (born 1949), author
- Kazimierz Plocke (born 1958), politician
- Ustawa z dnia 9 lipca 1999 r. o utworzeniu Uniwersytetu Warmińsko-Mazurskiego w Olsztynie. Dziennik Ustaw Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej nr 69 pod poz. 762 z dnia 20 sierpnia 1999 r., accessed 2008-01-26
- Calendarium of the University, homepage
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Uniwersytet Warmińsko-Mazurski w Olsztynie.|