University of Warwick Boat Club
|University of Warwick Boat Club|
|Location||Barford, Warwickshire, UK|
|Home water||River Avon|
|Coaches||Thomas Broomfield, Oliver James, Patrick Hinton, Oliver Frazer, Craig Jackson|
The University of Warwick Boat Club is the rowing club of the University of Warwick. The men's team is colloquailly known as the Warwick Rowers. The club was founded in 1966 and currently has over a hundred members. It rows out of a boathouse on a 3.5 km stretch of the River Avon, Warwickshire. It caters for all levels of rowers from novices to experienced oarsman, and previous members include Oxford University Boat Club member and Boat Race winner, Ben Ellison and Olympian Tom Solesbury.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2013)|
The club's facilities include sixteen Concept2 ergos and a Concept2 dynamic ergo, kept in the on-campus sports centre. The club's men's 1st VIII currently rows in a 2011 wing-rigged Hudson Boatworks and the women's 1st VIII currently rows in a 2015 Filippi Boats. The club owns three further eights, three fours and numerous small boats.
Warwick Graduate Boat Club
The club's alumni maintain strong links with the club through the Warwick Graduate Boat Club. Members of WGBC and UWBC regularly compete.
Warwick Rowers calendar
Since 2009 the men's team, known as the Warwick Rowers, has produced an annual wall calendar featuring the rowers modeling nude, to help fund the team. Since 2012 some of the proceeds from sales of the calendar have gone to Sport Allies, a programme created by the team "to reach out to young people challenged by bullying, homophobia or low self-esteem". Since 2011 the women's team has produced a similar calendar featuring its rowers.  Proceeds from the women's calendar are shared with Macmillan Cancer Support.
- "Naked Warwick Rowers Come To Hollywood". The Hollywood Times. 5 December 2014. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120212151224/http://www.uwbc.org.uk/about.php?Doc=fleet. Archived from the original on February 12, 2012. Retrieved April 1, 2011. Missing or empty
- Dicker, Ron (31 October 2014). "Naked Warwick Men's Rowing Team Calendar Makes A Splash To Fight Homophobia". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 22 August 2015.
- "Sport Allies". The Warwick Rowers. Retrieved 22 August 2015.
- "Warwick Rowing - Women's Naked Calendar 2015". Warwick SU. Retrieved 22 August 2015.
- "Warwick Uni Rowers Want To Boost Girls' Body Confidence With Latest Naked Calendar". The Huffington Post. 2016-11-03. Retrieved 2016-11-25.