University of Washington School of Medicine
|Established||1946, 70 years ago|
|Dean||Paul G. Ramsey, M.D.|
|1,800 (full time)
|Location||Seattle, Washington, U.S.
UWSOM is the first public medical school in the states of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho. The school maintains a network of teaching facilities in more than 100 towns and cities across the five-state region. As part of this "WWAMI" partnership, medical students from Alaska, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming spend their first years at state universities in their home states. In addition, forty first-year students from Washington are based in Spokane.
UW Medicine includes the UWSOM, as well as a number of clinical facilities owned and operated by the UW, including the following:
- Harborview Medical Center — Seattle
- University of Washington Medical Center — Seattle
- Northwest Hospital & Medical Center — Seattle
- Valley Medical Center — Renton
- UW Medicine Neighborhood Clinics — nine primary care facilities
- UW School of Medicine
- UW Physicians — a physician practice
- Airlift Northwest — a medical transport system for Washington, Alaska, Montana and Idaho
In addition, UW Medicine shares in the ownership and governance of Children’s University Medical Group and Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, a partnership between UW Medicine, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and Seattle Children's.
The school was founded 70 years ago in 1946 as the 76th medical school in the country and is a leader in primary care, family medicine, biomedical research, experimental therapy, clinical treatments, and academic medicine. In 2014, the UW School of Medicine was ranked #10 in research and #1 in primary care and in rural medicine by U.S. News and World Report. The UW School of Medicine also ranks as one of the top medical schools in receipt of federal researching funding, having been awarded $712.3 million in grants by the National Institutes of Health in 2009. Only Harvard Medical School was awarded more federal funding.
In May 2013, it was announced that UW Medicine and PeaceHealth were coming together in a "strategic affiliation." The American Civil Liberties Union criticized the merger as PeaceHealth is "directed by the Catholic Ethical and Religious Directives" and UW Medicine is taxpayer-funded.
- List of medical schools in the United States
- WWAMI Regional Medical Education Program
- Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine
- "Paul G. Ramsey". University of Washington School of Medicine. Retrieved December 17, 2015.
- "WWAMI Medical School | UW Medicine, Seattle". Uwmedicine.washington.edu. 2011-05-16. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "Best Medical Schools: Primary Care". US News and World Report. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "Best Medical Schools: Research". US News and World Report. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "Rural Medicine". US News and World Report. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "About UW Medicine | UW Medicine, Seattle". University of Washington. Retrieved 2010-07-23.
- Ostrom, Carol M. (May 20, 2013). "UW Medicine, Catholic health system to have ‘strategic affiliation’". The Seattle Times. Retrieved 26 April 2014.