University of West Los Angeles
|University of West Los Angeles|
|Location||Inglewood and Chatsworth, California, US|
|Faculty||4 Full, 37 Adjunct|
|Bar pass rate||SFV: 11% (2/19, July 2018 1st time takers)|
|Website||University of West Los Angeles|
The University of West Los Angeles (also referred to as UWLA) is a private, for-profit university. It maintains two campuses in the Los Angeles metropolitan area in Inglewood (West Los Angeles) and Chatsworth (San Fernando Valley).
Accreditation and bar exam performance
UWLA is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The university's School of Law is accredited by the State Bar of California Committee of Bar Examiners, but is not approved by the American Bar Association. As a result, graduates only qualify to take the bar exam in California. At the July 2018 sitting of the California Bar Exam, two of the 19 UWLA graduates from the San Fernando Valley (SFV) campus passed, while 16% of the SFV campus repeat takers and 8% of the West Los Angeles (WLA) campus repeat takers passed.
UWLA was founded in 1966 by Henry Blunt and three other Culver City High School educators. The School of Law received accreditation from the Committee of Bar Examiners of The State Bar of California in 1978. The San Fernando Valley College of Law (the first law school in the San Fernando Valley), co-founded as an independent school by Leo L. Mann and Joseph P. Lamont in 1962, was acquired and merged into UWLA in 2002.
Robert W. Brown is the current President of the University while Jay Paul Frykberg was appointed Dean of the Law School in 2013.
- Evan Freed, J.D. 1978, attorney and photographer
- Albert L. Gordon, J.D. (San Fernando Valley College of Law) 1962, attorney, advocate for gay rights
- Frank K. Wheaton, J.D. 1982, sports agent, former radio host for KPFK Los Angeles, attorney
- Louise Linton, J.D., actress, wife of Steve Mnuchin
- "University of West Los Angeles Accreditation". University of West Los Angeles.
- "Law Schools in California Accredited by the Committee of Bar Examiners (CBE)". Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- "ABA-Approved Law Schools by Year". ABA website. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- "GENERAL STATISTICS REPORT - JULY 2018 CALIFORNIA BAR EXAMINATION" (PDF). calbar.ca.gov.
- "University of West Los Angeles Accreditation".
- "Evan Phillip Freed #89514 - Attorney Licensee Search". members.calbar.ca.gov. Retrieved 2019-11-12.
- Woo, Elaine. "Albert L. Gordon dies at 94; attorney fought for gay rights", Los Angeles Times, September 6, 2009. Accessed September 9, 2009.
- Awford, Jenny (2016-11-30). "Fiancée of Trump's new Treasury Secretary is a Scottish Hollywood actress, 35, who sparked fury after 'fabricating near-death experiences in her memoir'". The Sun. Retrieved 2019-11-12.