University of Western States
|Western States Chiropractic College, 1904-2003|
|Location||Portland, Oregon, United States
University of Western States can trace its history back to 1904 originally named the Marsh School and Cure by John and Eva Marsh. In 1967 the name became Western States Chiropractic College. In 1973, Western States relocated to its current 22-acre (8.9 ha) campus in Northeast Portland. The institution name changed again to University of Western States in 2010. University of Western States was the first chiropractic college to receive a federally funded research grant through the United States Health Resources and Services Administration. Western States added a new $4 million lecture hall in 2001, and a $3.6 million anatomy laboratory in 2011. The anatomy lab took first place for its category in the TopProjects contest held by the Daily Journal of Commerce.
University of Western States offers a three-four-year program leading to the Doctor of Chiropractic degree. The school also offers an optional Bachelor of Science in Human Biology, taken concurrently, as well as a Masters in Exercise and Sport Science, a Masters in Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine, and postgraduate education programs.
In 2006, the University began a one-year Massage Therapy certificate program in Portland which expanded to Salem's Chemeketa Community College in 2011. That certificate program is no longer offered in Salem.
In 2015, UWS launched the Northwest Center for Lifestyle and Functional Medicine (NWCLFM) to help educate students on achieving and maintaining a healthy lifestyle focusing primarily on diet, exercise, and positive cognitive behavior.
- Smith, Quinton (July 14, 2011). "University of Western States replaces a decrepit facility with a $3.6 million anatomy building". The Oregonian. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- "UWS History".
- Weinstein, Nathalie (May 10, 2012). "TopProject: University of Western States Gross Anatomy Laboratory submitted by Precision Construction Co.". Daily Journal of Commerce. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- "MS Exercise and Sports Science".
- "Masters of Science in Nutrition and Functional Medicine".
- "Doctor of Education (EdD) in Sport and Performance Psychology".
- "Master of Science in Sport and Performance Psychology".
- Massage Therapy
- University of Western States Massage Program at Chemeketa-Salem
- "University of Western States Launches Northwest Center for Lifestyle and Functional Medicine".
- "Northwest Center for Lifestyle and Functional Medicine".
Media related to University of Western States at Wikimedia Commons