University of the Pacific (Peru)
|Jesuit (Roman Catholic)|
|President||Felipe Portocarrero Suárez|
|Location||Jesus Maria, Lima, Peru|
|Affiliations||SEKN, Laurin, AACSB, AAMBA, Consorcio de Universidades|
University of the Pacific (Spanish: Universidad del Pacífico) (UP) is a private university in the Jesús María District of Lima, Peru. It was established in 1962 by a group of Peruvian entrepreneurs supported by the Society of Jesus. In the past three decades, Universidad del Pacifico has been ranked as one of the most esteemed universities in fields of economics, law, finance, accounting, and business administration in Peru and among the leading institutions of its kind in the Latin American region.
The Society of Jesus co-founded the university and made the administrative and academic decisions necessary to establish it. Jesuits continue to make strategic decisions for UP, which is a member of the Association of Universities Entrusted to the Society of Jesus in Latin America – twenty-eight universities in fifteen countries of Latin America. The Society of Jesus together with the Board ensures compliance with principles behind the University of the Pacific statutes.
At the undergraduate level, UP offers bachelor's degrees in Economics, Business Administration and Accounting. In 2008, it became the first university in Peru to offer a management Engineering degree. That same year, Law was added to its degree programs. In 2011 two new departments were opened, International Business and Marketing. At the graduate level, it offers a Master of Business Administration, a Master of Finance and a Master of Economics. In August 2011, the University as well as its Post-Graduate school received the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate School of Business) accreditation, which is one of the most important awards for universities and business schools around the world.
UP has approximately 5000 students enrolled. The academic year at the undergraduate level consists of two semesters, from late-March to July and mid-August to mid-December, with a 3 to 4 week break between. At the graduate level the academic year consists of three terms: January–April, May–August, and September–December. UP cooperates with other agencies to provide service-learning courses.
The University, through the Research Center of the University of the Pacific (Centro de Investigación de la Universidad del Pacífico), conducts large-scale research projects within Peru and at the Latin American level, in matters of economic theory and trade, public policy, fiscal policy, environmental issues, human development, civil society, philanthropy, and SMEs development. Some of these are funded by the Kellogg Foundation, the World Bank, the Inter-American Development Bank, and other regional development agencies.
- Mercedes Aráoz - Peruvian minister of finance. Elected 2nd Vice President of Peru.
- Martín Pérez Monteverde - Peruvian politician.
- Hernán Garrido Lecca - Peruvian economist and politician.
- Renzo Rossini - General manager of the BCRP, Central Reserve Bank of Peru.
- Raúl Diez Canseco Terry - Peruvian politician and economist.
- Julio Velarde Flores - President of the BCRP, or Central Reserve Bank of Peru.
- Susana de la Puente Wiese - Ambassador from the Republic of Peru to the Court of St. James's.
- Walter Bayly - COO of Credicorp Ltd. and CEO of Banco de Crédito del Perú.
- Jorge González Izquierdo - Peruvian minister of Foreign Relations.
- Carlos Boloña Behr - Politician and president of the Free Trade Institute (IELM).
- Fernando Olivera Vega - Politician, ex-ambassador to Spain and former congressman.
- Eduardo Ferreyros Küppers - Politician, ex-minister of external commerce and tourism.
- Adrian Armas - Central manager of economic studies of the BCRP, or Central Reserve Bank of Peru.
- "Universidad del Pacifico | Ranking & Review". www.4icu.org. Retrieved 2017-10-01.
- "Las mejores universidades del Peru". America Economia. Retrieved 1 September 2011.
- "La universidad | Universidad del Pacífico". Universidad del Pacífico (in Spanish). Retrieved 2017-10-01.
- "UBELONG partners with Universidad del Pacifico for program in Peru". UBELONG. 2013-03-11. Retrieved 2017-10-01.
- "Interview with the vice-dean of the Law School".
- International business and marketing. Accessed 3 June 2016.
- "Google Translate". translate.google.com. Retrieved 2017-10-01.
- "Study at Universidad del Pacifico, Lima - Peru". GoAbroad.com. Retrieved 2017-10-01.
- "Peru: Universidad del Pacífico". Tilburg University. Retrieved 2017-10-01.
- "Eldis". www.eldis.org. Retrieved 2017-10-01.
- "Kellog Foundation grants". Kellog Foundation grants.