University of the Philippines Open University
|Motto||Honor and Excellence|
|Type||Distance learning institution|
|Established||February 23, 1995|
|Chancellor||Melinda dP. Bandalaria, PhD|
|President||Danilo L. Concepcion|
|Hymn||"U.P. Naming Mahal" ("U.P. Beloved")|
|Colors||UP Maroon and UP Forest Green|
|Affiliations||ICDE, AAOU, PSDL|
The University of the Philippines Open University (also referred to as UPOU, UP Open University, or UP OpenU) is a public research university and distance learning institution headquartered in the town of Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines. It was established on February 23, 1995 as the fifth constituent university of the University of the Philippines System. Its mandate is to provide education opportunities to individuals aspiring for higher education and improved qualifications but were unable to take advantage of traditional modes of education because of personal and professional obligations. It is mandated by Republic Act No. 10650, also known as the Open and Distance Learning Act of 2014 to assist the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) and the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) on their open distance learning functions.
The U.P. Open University aims to:
- Offer through open and distance learning degree and non-degree programs that are responsive to the needs of learners and of the society of which they are a part;
- Develop a system of continuing education to sustain professional growth and promote lifelong learning;
- Develop and adapt delivery systems appropriate to distance learners;
- Provide leadership in the development of open learning and distance education expertise in the country and in the appropriate use of information and communication technologies of education; and
- Make instructional packages accessible to various publics through collaborative arrangements, institutional agreements, and other appropriate mechanisms.
- 1 Mode of Teaching & Learning
- 2 Faculties of Studies
- 3 Academic Programs
- 4 U.P. Open University Headquarters
- 5 Learning Centers
- 6 Research
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Mode of Teaching & Learning
The U.P. Open University delivers its programs and courses through distance education (DE). In this mode, teachers and learners are separated by time and space. Learners study in an independent self-learning style using specially designed learning materials and resources. Teaching and learning is mediated through the use of technology like print, audio, video, and the internet. Students interact with their instructors and each other through virtual classrooms, email, and web conferencing. The Open University also uses short-messaging system (SMS) for distance learning which in has become a subject of study by the Virtual University of Pakistan. Almost all UPOU courses are offered through online learning mode, making them accessible to learners from different parts of the country and the world.
Faculties of Studies
UP OpenU has three faculties of studies, each headed by a dean:
Faculty of Education (FEd)
The Faculty of Education (FEd) covers the following range of areas of study: general education, alternative education, language and literacy education, science and mathematics teaching, social studies education, and distance education.
Faculty of Information & Communication Studies (FICS)
FICS offers degree programs in communication, information systems, computer science, and multimedia studies.
Faculty of Management and Development Studies (FMDS)
FMDS offers a range of postgraduate programs in R&D management, environment and natural resources management, land valuation and management, public management, social work, nursing, hospital administration, and public health as well as non-formal programs in entrepreneurship, health, and land valuation.
The U.P. Open University offers the following degree programs:
- Associate in Arts
- Bachelor of Arts in Multimedia Studies
- Bachelor of Education Studies
Graduate Certificate Program
- Graduate Certificate in ASEAN Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Distance Education (within the Master of Distance Education)
Post-Baccalaureate Diploma Programs
- Diploma in Social Work
- Diploma in Computer Science
- Diploma in International Health
- Diploma in Research and Development Management
- Diploma in Environment and Natural Resources Management
- Diploma in Land Valuation and Management
- Diploma in Science Teaching
- Diploma in Math Teaching
- Diploma in Language and Literacy Education for Teachers
- Diploma in Social Studies Education
- Master of ASEAN Studies
- Master of Social Work
- Master of Development Communication
- Master of Distance Education
- Master of International Health
- Master of Land Valuation and Management
- Master of Public Health
- Master in Hospital Administration
- Master of Arts in Nursing
- Master of Public Management
- Master of Environment and Natural Resources Management
- Master of Arts in Language and Literacy Education
- Master of Arts in Social Studies Education
- Master of Information Systems
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education (Biology Education, Chemistry Education, Physics Education, Mathematics Education)
- Doctor of Communication
The U.P. Open University offers several non-formal courses and certificate programs. These are:
- Caring for the Special Child
- Caring for the Elderly
- Community Mental Health
- Health Research Methods
- New Enterprise Planning
- Online Teaching and Learning
- Organic Agriculture
- Personal Entrepreneurial Development
- Introduction to E-Commerce
- Professional Teaching Certification
- Simplified Accounting for Entrepreneurs
- Continuing Professional Education Program on Land Valuation
U.P. Open University Headquarters
The U.P. Open University Headquarters is located in Los Baños, Laguna, close to the International Rice Research Institute. Set against the picturesque view of Mount Makiling, its main administrative and annex buildings house the main offices,including the Office of the Chancellor (OC), the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs (OVCAA), the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration (OVCFA), and the Faculties of Studies Offices. The Centennial Center for Digital Learning (CCDL) Auditorium is also in this complex.
A major landmark in the UPOU Headquarters is the U.P. Open University Oblation sculpture that stands in the Oblation Plaza in front of the main building. It is a replica of National Artist Guillermo Tolentino's U.P. Oblation, which depicts a man facing upward with arms outstretched, symbolizing selfless offering of oneself to the country. UPOU’s Oblation stands on a pedestal with a ribbon-like flag swirling around the pedestal and the Oblation. This gives an effect of the flag lifting the Oblation into greater heights and gives it the boundless reach that is symbolic of UPOU's prime objective of widening access to UP quality education. It was designed and executed by University Artist and UPOU Chancellor Dr. Grace J. Alfonso in 2005. The UPOU Oblation statue also provides a stately background to the Oblation Plaza where the annual commencement exercises are held.
The University also maintains a satellite office at the National Computer Center Building in Diliman, Quezon City.
The U.P. Open University has several Learning Centers in strategic locations in the country. These Centers are the venues where students can conduct and seek advice on the following transactions, activities and procedures:
- application for admission
- student orientation
- distribution of course materials
- dropping of subjects
- filing leave of absence
- accessing library materials
- face-to-face tutorials (if available)
- tutorials on basic computer and internet literacy
Learning Centers are mostly located in other U.P. campuses and state universities in selected regions of the country.
To serve the student support needs of offshore students, the University has created the Virtual Learning Center, where all transactions and procedures are conducted and communicated online.
U.P. Open University conducts research in distance education (DE) and the disciplines it currently offers.
The University has spearheaded research in open and distance learning in the country. Its research in this area has delved into the following topics: DE learner profile, learning styles, and learner performance; online teaching and learning; virtual learning environments; computer-mediated collaborative learning; gender and distance education; pedagogical approaches in distance education; DE program evaluation; and management of DE.
In addition, the University has also pursued research in the following discipline-based areas: education, information and communication technology, multimedia, communication, organization and management, public policy, environment, health, and development studies. Many of these discipline-based studies have been externally funded.
This section does not cite any sources. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Jejomar Binay - Diploma in Environment and Natural Resource Management graduate. Former Makati City Mayor, Vice President of the Republic of the Philippines
- Miguel Zubiri - Graduate, Master in Environment and Natural Resources Management. Senator of the Republic of the Philippines
- Sharon Cuneta - Associate in Arts student; singer, actress, television host; wife of Senator Francis Pangilinan
- Eliza Pineda - Bachelor of Arts in Multimedia Studies; actress
- Toni Gonzaga - Bachelor of Arts in Multimedia Studies; singer, actress, television host
- Sarah Geronimo - Associate in Arts; singer, actress
- Rachelle Ann Go - Associate in Arts student; singer
- Richard Gomez - Associate in Arts graduate of 2009; actor
- Jackielou Blanco - Associate in Arts student; actress, bodybuilder, fitness instructor
- Catherine Untalan - Graduate, Master of Environmental and Natural Resources Management, Miss Earth Philippines
- Kris Psyche Resus - Associate in Arts student; former Miss Philippines Earth 2010
- Emmerie Dale Cunanan - Associate in Arts student; former 2nd Runner-Up Turismo Filipina 2008, Miss Philippines Earth-Water 2010
- "U.P. Statistics 2013" (PDF). University of the Philippines. University of the Philippines system. 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 25, 2014. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- Jung, Insung; Latchem, Colin. Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Distance Education: Models, Policies and Research. Routledge. ISBN 9781136849862. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- "R.A. 9500 AN ACT TO STRENGTHEN THE UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES AS THE NATIONAL UNIVERSITY". www.lawphil.net. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- "Republic Act No. 10650 | GOVPH". Official Gazette of the Republic of the Philippines. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- The Emergence of Schools of the People: Implications for Education Policy and Research. Goodwill Trading Co., Inc. ISBN 9789715740289. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- Wains, Shahid Islam; Mahmood, Waqar (1 January 2008). "Integrating M-learning with e-Learning". Proceedings of the 9th ACM SIGITE Conference on Information Technology Education. ACM: 31–38. doi:10.1145/1414558.1414568. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- Singcol, Anna Katrina T. "Profile of Jejomar "Jojo" Cabauatan Binay". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 23 January 2017.
- "Senator Juan Miguel F. Zubiri". Senate of the Philippines. Retrieved 23 January 2017.
- Official website
- University without Borders, Philippine Daily Inquirer, May 17, 2009
- UP Open University at 14: Distance learning 'Ivy Leaguer' reaches far and beyond, originally published in Manila Bulletin, February 19, 2009
- UPOU provides distance education to barrio teachers, The Philippine Star, February 16, 2009[permanent dead link]