University of the Philippines School of Economics
|Dean||Prof. Orville C. Solon, Ph. D.|
|Location||Quezon City, Philippines|
The University of the Philippines School of Economics is a degree-granting unit of the University of the Philippines (U.P.). It is located in U.P.'s flagship campus in Diliman, Quezon City, where it occupies the buildings of the Philippine Center for Economic Development (PCED). The school offers two bachelor of science degrees (B.S. Economics and B.S. Business Economics), two master's degrees (Master in Development Economics and M.A. in Economics) and the Ph.D. in economics.
Established in 1965, the School of Economics was chosen as the first and only CHED Center for Excellence in Economics in the Philippines in 1999. Its academic programs enjoy a high national and foreign reputation, with a regular faculty consisting entirely of Ph.D.-holders. In January 2016, the School was among the top 5% (rank 163 among 7,132) of economics departments in the world based on the strength of its graduate students, as ranked by RePEc.
The faculty has included three National Scientists, one Academician, and several Outstanding Young Scientists, all as recognized by the National Academy of Science and Technology.
Faculty research is particularly strong in the areas of health economics, public economics, and development economics. In collaboration with the Philippine Economic Society, the school publishes the Philippine Review of Economics, the journal of the economics profession in the country.
Graduates of the School of Economics have distinguished themselves in the fields of economics, business, law, education, and politics. Among notable alumni are deans of the School and officers of the University, leaders of the Philippine's largest companies, entrepreneurs, economics faculty in various Philippine universities, past and present government Secretaries and Undersecretaries, including officials of the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA), members of the Philippine Senate and House of Representtives, Supreme Court Justices, a Vice-President of the Philippines, and a President of the Philippines.
The current Dean of the School of Economics is Prof. Orville C. Solon, Ph.D.
- Dante Canlas (Ph.D. 1978): Professor UPSE; Secretary for Socioeconomic Planning and NEDA Director-General (2001-2002)
- Conchita Carpio-Morales (A.B. 1964): Ombudsman of the Philippines; Associate Justice, Supreme Court (2002-2011)
- Pilar Juliana Cayetano (Pia) (B.S. 1985): Senator (2004-2010; 2010-2016)
- Benjamin Diokno (M.A. 1974): Secretary, Department of Budget and Management (2016- ; 1998-2001); Undersecretary, Department of Budget and Management (1986-1991)
- Raul V. Fabella (M.A. 1975): National Scientist; Academician (NAST); Professor emeritus, UPSE
- Marvic Leonen (Marvic) (B.S. 1983): Associate Justice, Supreme Court of the Philippines (since 2013)
- Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo (Ph.D. 1985): President of the Republic of the Philippines (2001-2010)
- Liza Maza (nee Largoza) (B.S.B.E. 1978): women's rights activist; President, Gabriela Women's Party; Member, House of Representatives (2001-2004, 2004-2006, 2007-2010)
- Mahar Mangahas (M.A. 1965): President of Social Weather Stations; former faculty of UPSE
- Solita Monsod (nee Collas) (Winnie) (A.B. 1959): Professor emeritus, UPSE; TV host and columnist; Secretary for Socioeconomic Planning and NEDA Director-General (1986-1989)
- Morales, Horacio Jr. (+2012) (A.B. 1965): Secretary of Agrarian Reform (1998-2001); former Executive Vice-President, Development Academy of the Philippines; Left personality and political detainee
- Robredo (nee Gerona), Maria Leonora (Leni) (B.S. 1987): Vice-President, Republic of the Philippines (2016- ); member, House of Representatives (2013-2016)
- Gerardo P. Sicat (M.A. 1958): Professor emeritus, UPSE; Minister of Economic Planning and Director-General, National Economic and Development Authority (1973-1981)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of the Philippines School of Economics.|
- UP School of Economics official website