Unknown Rooms: A Collection of Acoustic Songs
|Unknown Rooms: A Collection of Acoustic Songs|
|Compilation album by|
|Released||October 16, 2012|
Private residence, Northern California
|Chelsea Wolfe chronology|
|Singles from Unknown Rooms: A Collection of Acoustic Songs|
Unknown Rooms: A Collection of Acoustic Songs is a compilation album from American singer-songwriter Chelsea Wolfe. It was released on October 16, 2012. The album is considered to be a collection of songs that were "once-orphaned, [and] given a home," rather than Wolfe's next full-length album.
Once Wolfe signed with L.A. based Sargent House Records, they suggested that she re-released some of her older, acoustic music that was "floating around the internet" and never saw a wide release. The majority of these tracks are songs that Wolfe had been working on for several years, but are new recordings of these tracks entirely, with the exception of the two digital bonus tracks, which are original recordings.
The song "Boyfriend" is a cover of the song by Karlos Rene Ayala, and was also co-composed by Ben Chisholm, a bandmate of Wolfe's.
|Consequence of Sound|||
|Tiny Mix Tapes|||
Unknown Rooms was met with positive reviews from music critics, on Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 73 based on 8 reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews." Jayson Green of Pitchfork Media scored the album a 7.7, saying that, "Unknown Rooms is a short album, but its nine songs capture and sustain free-floating fear and menace," while Adrian Agacer of Tiny Mix Tapes gave the album four stars, stating, "This is a sparse album, Chelsea Wolfe’s quietest, most beautiful album to date, showcasing a vulnerability that simultaneously pushes the listener’s comfort level to its limits and is sincerely inviting in its simplicity. Unlike last year’s Apokalypsis, which had its moments of anarchic liveliness and heightened motions and speeds (“Demons”), Unknown Rooms is entirely built on pure rests and negative space, the nerve-racking space of silence."
Unknown Rooms is Wolfe's first album to chart in the US, marking it her most successful album thus far.
All tracks written by Chelsea Wolfe except where noted.
|2.||"The Way We Used To"||2:47|
|5.||"I Died With You"||0:32|
|6.||"Boyfriend"||Karlos Rene Ayala||3:51|
|7.||"Our Work Was Good"||1:53|
|Digital bonus tracks|
|10.||"Virginia Woolf Underwater"||4:22|
- Chelsea Wolfe – lead vocals, acoustic guitar, production
- Ben Chisholm – drums, analog synths, piano, backing vocals, production
- Additional personnel
- Ezra Buchla – viola (3, 4)
- Andrea Calderon – violin (1)
- Daniel Denton – bass (2, 4, 7)
- Jere Wolfe – guitar (7)
- "Album Review: Chelsea Wolfe - Unknown Rooms: A Collection of Acoustic Songs". 17 October 2012.
- "Song Premiere: Chelsea Wolfe, "The Way We Used To" : All Songs Considered Blog". NPR.com. 2012-07-28.
- "Song Premiere: Chelsea Wolfe, "Appalachia" - The Fader". thefader.com. 2012-09-20.
- ""Flatlands" - Chelsea Wolfe on Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. 2012-09-28.
- "Chelsea Wolfe's bio". chelseawolfe.net.
- "Chelsea Wolfe - Interview". chelseawolfemusic.tumblr.com. 2012-10-03.
- "Boyfriend - Karlos Rene Ayala A.K.A. Walker". 2007-12-18.
- "Unknown Rooms: A Collection of Acoustic Songs on Soundcloud". 2012-10-09.
- ""Flatlands" - Chelsea Wolfe, music video". 2013-01-25.
- "Album Review: Chelsea Wolfe – Unknown Rooms: A Collection Of Acoustic Songs". Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "Album Review: Chelsea Wolfe - Unknown Rooms: A Collection of Acoustic Songs". tinymixtapes.com. 2012-10-24.
- "Album Review: Chelsea Wolfe - Unknown Rooms: A Collection of Acoustic Songs". allmusic.com. 2012-10-16.
- "Unknown Rooms on Billboard". billboard.com.
- "Unknown Rooms - Chelsea Wolfe on AmazonMP3". Amazon.com.