Unlocking the Truth
|Unlocking the Truth|
|Origin||Brooklyn, New York, United States|
Malcom Brickhouse |
Unlocking the Truth is an American heavy metal band hailing from Brooklyn, New York. Formed in 2007, the trio consists of Malcolm Brickhouse (guitar, vocals, key songwriter, composer), Jarad Dawkins (drums), and Alec Atkins (bass).
Founding members Malcolm Brickhouse and Jarad Dawkins met each other at a birthday party in 2005. Sharing similar tastes in music, they decided to create a band. As the metal duo’s street performances started gaining attention, Brickhouse and Dawkins felt their band needed a bassist but none of their friends were musicians. So they taught their pre-school friend, Alec Atkins, how to play the bass guitar from scratch. These street performances in Times Square and around New York City led to people recording and uploading videos of them to YouTube, which garnered a lot of attention through social media.
The trio have since appeared on national television, including NBC’s “The Tonight Show”, ABC’s “The View”, CNN, Fuse, BET, Comedy Central’s “The Colbert Report” and more. In 2014, they were the youngest group to perform at Coachella. They’ve performed at the AFROPUNK FEST, SxSW and were the youngest band to play at the 2014 Vans Warped Tour. They have also performed at the high-profile music festivals Heavy Montreal and Bonnaroo.
The Trio have supported music legends such as Guns N' Roses, Motörhead, Queens of the Stone Age, Living Colour, Marilyn Manson and more while also earning spots in commercials for Airheads, AT&T, Beats by Dr. Dre, Maybelline and Verizon.
The band has been featured in major media outlets like Spin, Revolver, Guitar World, Rolling Stone, New York Daily News, Village Voice, New York Post, New York and Los Angeles Times The Huffington Post, Loudwire and Guitar World, all while attending middle school and now high school.
In 2014 the band signed a $1.8 million contract for five albums with Sony Music Entertainment. Due to the age of the members of the band, the contract had to be approved through the New York Supreme Court.  In 2015, the band successfully negotiated their release from the contract with the label.
In April 2016, the band announced the release of their full-length debut album, Chaos. The album was released on June 17, 2016 via TuneCore. A feature-length documentary film about the band, entitled Breaking a Monster, was released in the Northern Hemisphere in the summer of 2016. On April 27, Loudwire premiered their first video "Take Control".
Unlocking The Truth recently released two new singles and will be releasing a full length CD: The first single, My Chains (2017) and the other, Come Closer (2018).
Style and influences
Unlocking the Truth’s sound has been described as “a salute to old-school metal that also blends modern influences.” In the Los Angeles Times, Randall Roberts wrote of their Coachella performance as "a hard, distorted blend of metal, speed punk and alternative rock on the main stage, they were as well-practiced as units three times their age." Artist Direct says "they are the future of music."
- Chaos (2016)
- My Chains (2017)
- Come Closer (2018)
- Mama (2018)
- Malcolm Brickhouse – key songwriter, composer, arranger, production, lead vocals, lead guitar (2007–present)
- Alec Atkins – bass (2013–present)
- Jarad Dawkins – drums (2007–present)
- "Unlocking the Truth's New Documentary Reveals Their Chaotic Rise Through the Music Biz". June 30, 2016. Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- "Preteen thrash-metal trio Unlocking the Truth sign major-label deal". Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- "Unlocking the Truth is the Most Brutal Sixth Grade Metal Band Ever, Ever, Ever, Ever". May 31, 2013. Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- Zimmerman, Neetzan. "Internet-Famous Preteen Metalheads Are Being Bullied for Being Awesome". Gawker.com. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- Barkan, Jonathan. "Youngest Group To Ever Perform At Coachella Is A Metal Band". Bloody-disgusting.com. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- "Unlocking The Truth". Afropunkfest.com. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- Teitelman, Bram. "Preteen trio Unlocking The Truth to play Coachella, Warped Tour". Metalinsider.net. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- "Unlocking The Truth News". Loudwire. Retrieved December 29, 2014.
- "Eighth Grade Band Unlocking the Truth Signs $1.7 Million Sony Deal - Us Weekly". Usmagazine.com. July 15, 2014. Retrieved December 29, 2014.
- "Mini Masters of Reality: Unlocking the Truth Plot Metal's Future From Their Parents' Basement". SPIN. Retrieved December 29, 2014.
- "Teen Metal Band Unlocking the Truth Appears on 'The Colbert Report' — Video". Revolvermag.com. Retrieved December 29, 2014.
- "Eighth Grade Metal Band Unlocking the Truth Plots Future After Seven-Figure Record Deal - Rolling Stone". Rolling Stone. Retrieved December 29, 2014.
- "Teen metal group Unlocking the Truth scores book deal". NY Daily News. Retrieved December 29, 2014.
- Jonah Bromwich (September 11, 2012). "At Metal School with Unlocking the Truth". Villagevoice.com. Retrieved December 29, 2014.
- Marsh, Julia. "Tween metal trio lands $1.8M record deal". New York Post. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- "A Heavy Metal Alloy, Fused With Youth : Unlocking the Truth Is a Band That Rocks Beyond Its Years". The New York Times. Retrieved December 29, 2014.
- "Coachella 2014: junior high band Unlocking the Truth looks into future". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 29, 2014.
- Pattison, Louis (January 16, 2015). "Underage against the machine: why labels are desperate to sign teens". theguardian.com. The Guardian.
- Kaye, Ben. "8th grade metal band lands $1.7 million record contract with Sony". Conseqwuenceofsound.net. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- "why teen metal band unlocking the truth broke a $1.8 million record deal". I-d. 2016-06-24. Retrieved 2017-12-22.
- Childers, Chad (April 27, 2016). "Unlocking the Truth, 'Take Control' – Exclusive Video Premiere". Loudwire. Townsquare Media. Retrieved April 27, 2016.
- Bansal, Andrew. "Motörhead, Graveyard & Unlocking The Truth Perform At Club Nokia". Metalassault.com. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- Roberts, Randall. "Coachella 2014: Junior high band Unlocking the Truth glimpses future". Latimes.com. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- Florino, Rick. "Interview: Unlocking The Truth". Artistdirect.com. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- Macomber, Shawn. "Key Influences: Unlocking Truth". Decibelmagazine.com. Retrieved September 20, 2014.