An uncrewed vehicle or unmanned vehicle is a vehicle without a person on board. Uncrewed vehicles can either be remote controlled or remote guided vehicles, or they can be autonomous vehicles which are capable of sensing their environment and navigating on their own.
There are different types of uncrewed vehicles:
- Remote control vehicle (RC), such as radio-controlled cars or radio-controlled aircraft
- Unmanned ground vehicle (UGV), such as the autonomous cars, or unmanned combat vehicles (UCGV)
- Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), unmanned aircraft commonly known as "drone"
- Autonomous spaceport drone ship
- Unmanned surface vehicle (USV), also known as "surface drone", for the operation on the surface of the water
- Unmanned underwater vehicle (UUV), also known as "underwater drone", for the operation underwater
- Uncrewed spacecraft, both remote controlled ("uncrewed space mission") and autonomous ("robotic spacecraft" or "space probe")
- Vehicular automation
- Optionally piloted vehicle
- Automatic Train Operation (ATO), such as the "Driverless Train"
- Huang, Hui-Min (September 2004). Autonomy Levels for Unmanned Systems (ALFUS) Framework. Volume I: Terminology. National Institute of Standards and Technology.