|Directed by||Sundar C|
|Written by||Singampuli (Dialogues)|
|Screenplay by||Sundar C|
|Story by||Sundar C|
|Cinematography||U. K. Senthil Kumar|
|Edited by||P. Sai Suresh|
|Distributed by||Lakshmi Movie Makers|
|5 February 1999|
Unnai Thedi (English: Searching for You) is a 1999 Tamil film directed by Sundar C. The film features Ajith Kumar and Malavika in the lead roles, while an ensemble supporting cast includes Karan, Vivek, Sivakumar, and Srividya. The film's music is composed by Deva, and the film released in February 1999 to Positive reviews and was declared hit at the box office.
Raghupathy (Ajith Kumar), studying in Australia, goes to New Zealand with a friend and runs into Malavika. They start off having petty fights but end up falling in love. But circumstances force them to separate without exchanging any information about each other.
Back home, Ajith makes friends with Karan and chances upon his family photograph which surprisingly includes his mother (Srividya), who as far as he knew had no relations. But on questioning, his mother reveals that she was part of a large family (three brothers and a sister) but had been sent out of the family after deciding to wed someone of her own choice. Ajith travels to the village as Karan's friend and soon endears himself to the members of his family. Turns out Malavika is the daughter of one of the brothers too. But when he learns that Karan wishes to marry her, he decides to bow out. But Karan, on knowing about their romance, wishes that they get together.
The family elders too agree to Ajith marrying Malavika but refuse to let the alliance go any further after learning that Ajith is Srividya's son. Ajith too agrees to sacrifice his love since he does not want to wed Malavika and cause even more friction in the already fractured family. How Ajith eventually reunites the separated family and weds Malavika forms the crux of the film.
- Ajith Kumar as Raghupathy
- Malavika as Malavika
- Sivakumar as Adhi Narayanan
- Srividya as Sharadha
- Vivek as Vivek
- Karan as Prakash
- Manorama as Aachi
- Swathi as Chitra
- Jaiganesh as Easwaran
- Sathyapriya as Rajalakshmi
- Kaka Radhakrishnan
- Shanmugasundaram as Ragupathy
- Vinu Chakravarthy
- Kushboo in a cameo appearance
The original plot point was recommended by Singampuli, one of Sundar C's assistant director and Sundar wrote the script of the film within a week, before discussing the line with actor Ajith Kumar. Ajith was initially unimpressed but agreed to do the love story anyway, mentioning that if the film became a success he would feature in a future film to be directed by Singampuli. The film began its shoot in late 1998 with scenes being canned in Australia and in Christchurch, New Zealand as well as India. The producers initially approached Laila to play the lead role, however she refused to commit to any other films until the release of her Kallazhagar. Subsequently, she was replaced by newcomer Shweta Konnur, who was given the stage name of Malavika by the director.
The film became the first of several successful films that Ajith Kumar had featured in throughout 1999, while the successful chemistry between the lead pair prompted another them to sign another film together, Anantha Poongathe. The film was later dubbed into Telugu as Premato Pilicha, while the movie was remade in Bengali as Bandhan.
|Soundtrack album by Deva|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Unnai Thedi soundtrack track listing|
|1.||"Malavika"||Hariharan & Chitra|
|3.||"Neethane"||Hariharan, & Sujatha|
|5.||"Kaatraga Varuvaya"||Naveen Kumar|
- டோடோவின் ரஃப் நோட்டு — Tamil Kavithai – தமிழ் கவிதைகள் – நூற்று கணக்கில்!. Cinesouth.com (20 September 2015). Retrieved on 2015-10-10.
- My First Break: Singam Puli. The Hindu. 27 November 2010
- Rediff On The NeT, Movies: An interview with Ajith Kumar. Rediff.com (6 July 1999). Retrieved on 2015-10-10.
- Minnoviyam Star Tracks. Chandrag.tripod.com. Retrieved on 10 October 2015.
- Rediff On The NeT, Movies: The Ajit-Shalini romance. Rediff.com (15 September 1999). Retrieved on 2015-10-10.
- Vijay's Thuppakki remake in Bengali | Tamil Cinema News › KollyInsider | Movie News – Kollywood. Kollyinsider.com (6 February 2014). Retrieved on 2015-10-10.
- unnai Thedi: Music Review. Indolink.com. Retrieved on 10 October 2015.