|District of Uttar Pradesh|
Location of Unnao district in Uttar Pradesh
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||Unnao|
|• Assembly seats||Unnao
|• Total||4,589 km2 (1,772 sq mi)|
|• Density||680/km2 (1,800/sq mi)|
|• Sex ratio||0.901 ♂/♀|
|Major highways||Agra to lucknow via Bangarmau
Hardoi to Kanpur via Bangarmau
Lucknow to Delhi via Bangarmau
Xuanzang, the Chinese pilgrim to India, stayed at Kannauj for 3 months in 636 AD. From here he journeyed a distance of about 26 km and reached the city of Nafotipokulo (Navadevakula) which stood on the eastern bank of Ganga. The city was about 5 km in circumference and had a Deva Temple, several Buddhist monasteries and Stupas.
Some fighting during 1857 sepoy mutiny took place in this area. Following the mutiny, the civil administration was re-established in the district which was named district Unnao, with headquarters at Unnao. The size of the district was however small until 1869, when it assumed its present form. The same year the town of Unnao was constituted a Municipality.
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Unnao one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the 34 districts in Uttar Pradesh currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
Unnao district is divided into 6 tehsils: Unnao, Hasanganj, Safipur, Purwa, Bighapur, and Bangarmau. There are 16 development blocks: Ganj Moradabad, Bangarmau, Fatehpur Chaurasi, Safipur, Miyanganj, Auras, Hasanganj, Nawabganj, Purwa, Asoha, Hilauli, Bighapur, Sumerpur, Bichia, Sikandarpur Sirausi, and Sikandarpur Karan.
The current elected representative from Unnao to the Lok Sabha, in the Parliament of India, is Shakshi Maharaj. The district had 6 Vidhan Sabha seats, namely Unnao, Purwa, Bhagwantnagar, Mohan, Safipur and Bangarmau. However, after delimitation in 2008, areas under Harha were merged with other Vidhan Sabha seats. Thus, the district now has only 6 Vidhan Sabha seats. Other prominent Qasba of Unnao include Karowan, Safipur, Neotani, Asiwan, Bangarmau, Mohaan, Magarwara, Shuklaganj, Purwa Maurawan, and Baksar. The district magistrate is Surendra Singh.
The Unnao Lok Sabha Constituency has the highest number of registered voters for the 2009 Lok Sabha elections, post de-limitation, with about 1.9 million voters.
Member of Legislative Council—Kanpur Graduate Seat---Arun Pathak (BJP, elected 23/01/2015) (Kanpur city, Kanpur Dehat and Unnao districts are represented by this seat).
According to the 2011 census Unnao district has a population of 3,110,595, roughly equal to the nation of Mongolia or the US state of Iowa. This gives it a ranking of 112th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 682 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,770/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 15.19%. Unnao has a sex ratio of 901 females for every 1,000 males, and a literacy rate of 68.29%.
2013 gold treasure incident
In October 2013, Archaeological Survey of India took up the excavation near Daundia Khera village in Unnao district amid reports of over 1000 tonnes of Gold deposits buried beneath the ruins of an old fort, which belonged to Ram Baksh Singh, a revolutionary of 1857. The preliminary investigation of ASI and GSI also confirmed a non-magnetic anomalous zone occurring at 5–20 m depth indicative of possible non-conducting, metallic contents and/or some alloys.
- Pratap Narayan Mishra ( 1856 - 1894 )
- Rao Ram Bux Singh
- Maulana Hasrat Mohani
- Chandra Shekhar Azad
- Jagdambika Prasad Mishra 'Hitaishi' ( 1895 - 1956 )
- Vishambhar Dayal Tripathi (5.10.1899 - 18.11.1959)
- Uma Shankar Dixit
- Dwarika Prasad Mishra
- Surya Kant Tripathi 'Nirala' (21.2.1897 - 15.10.1961)
- Ramai Kaka ( 2.2.1915 - 18.4.1982 )
- Gaya Prasad Shukla (14.10.1907 - 30.06.2003)
- Dr Shant Deo Gupta
- Ziaur Rahman Ansari (NIC)
- Chandra Bhushan Singh
- "History of the District". Unnao District Website. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (8 September 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "Introduction". Unnao: An Official Website of the District. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- "In major rejig, Uttar Pradesh government changes nine District Magistrates". The Indian Express. Express News Agency. 27 August 2016. Retrieved 27 December 2016.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 1 October 2011.
M Mongolia 3,133,318 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- M. Paul Lewis, ed. (2009). "Awadhi: A language of India". Ethnologue: Languages of the World (16th ed.). Dallas, Texas: SIL International. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- "'Peepli Live' in Unnao: ASI begins hunt for 1,000-tonne 'buried treasure'". Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "ASI begins Excavation at Unnao in search of Gold Deposits". Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "Famous Personalities". Unnao District Website. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
|Kanpur Nagar district||Lucknow district|
|Fatehpur district||Rae Bareli district|