Logo of ImpactStory.
|Created by||Jason Priem, Heather Piwowar|
ImpactStory is an open source, web-based tool that provides altmetrics to help researchers measure the impacts of their research outputs including journal articles, blog posts, datasets, and software. It aims to change the focus of the scholarly reward system to value and encourage web-native scholarship. ImpactStory is a product of Our Research, a nonprofit organisation funded by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation and the National Science Foundation.
It provides context to its metrics so that they are meaningful without knowledge of the specific dataset: for example, instead of letting the reader guess whether having five forks on GitHub is common, ImpactStory would tell that the repository is in the 95th percentile of all GitHub repositories created that year.
The metrics provided by ImpactStory can be used by researchers who want to know how many times their work has been downloaded and shared, and also research funders who are interested in the impact of research beyond only considering citations to journal articles.
One of the solutions ImpactStory developed is Unpaywall, a browser extension which finds free versions of (paywalled) articles. In July 2018 it was reported to provide free access to 20 million articles, and about 47% of the articles that people search with Unpaywall. In June 2017 it was integrated into Web of Science and in July 2018 Elsevier announced plans the same month to integrate the service into the Scopus search engine.
- Else, Holly (15 August 2018). "How Unpaywall is transforming open science". Nature. 560 (7718): 290–291. doi:10.1038/D41586-018-05968-3.
- Priem, Jason; Heather Piwowar (25 September 2012). "The launch of ImpactStory: using altmetrics to tell data-driven stories". Impact of Social Sciences. LSE. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "Our Projects". our-research.org. Retrieved July 24, 2019.
- "About". ImpactStory. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "ImpactStory awarded $300k NSF grant!". ImpactStory. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "ImpactStory total-impact". GitHub. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "Sloan Foundation grant submitted". ImpactStory blog. 1 March 2012. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "ImpactStory adds figshare integration". Research Information. 3 December 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Eisen, Jonathan (29 November 2012). "Playing with Impact Story to look at Alt Metrics for my papers, data, etc". The Tree of Life. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Coldewey, Devin. "Unpaywall scours the web for free versions of scientific papers". TechCrunch. Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- Chawla, Dalmeet Singh (4 April 2017). "Unpaywall finds free versions of paywalled papers". Nature. doi:10.1038/nature.2017.21765.
- Doctorow, Cory. "Unpaywall: a search-engine for authorized, freely accessible versions of scholarly journal articles / Boing Boing". boingboing.net.