Unrelated (TV series)
|Country of origin||United States|
|Production company(s)||ABC Signature Studios|
Unrelated begins when "self-absorbed Jesi and conservative, over-achiever Becca go from strangers to sisters when they find out through a genetic testing company that they share the same birth mother in this contemporary ensemble comedy about identity, self-discovery and what ultimately defines us.
Cast and characters
- Jordin Sparks as Becca
- Matt Shively as Matt
- Brooks Brantly as Todd
- Gigi Zumbado as Jesi
- Jessika Van as Luna
- Davi Santos as Simon
On May 15, 2018, it was announced that Freeform had given the production a series order. The show was created by Kenya Barris and Ranada Shepard, both of whom were expected to serve as executive producers. Production companies involved with the series were slated to include ABC Signature Studios. On October 29, 2018, it was reported that Casey Johnson and David Windsor had joined Shepard as co-creators and showrunners, while Barris had exited writing and showrunning duties but would remain on board the production as an executive producer. It was further reported that Randall Winston would serve as an additional executive producer for the series.
On March 6, 2019, the series was renamed from Besties to Unrelated.
On February 5, 2019, it was announced during the Television Critics Association's annual winter press tour that the series would star Jordin Sparks, Matt Shively, and Brooks Brantly. In mid-February 2019, it was reported that Gigi Zumbado, Jessika Van and Davi Santos had been cast in series regular roles.
- Nellie, Andreeva (October 29, 2018). "Casey Johnson & David Windsor Join New Freeform Series 'Besties' As Co-Creators & Showrunners". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 29, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 15, 2018). "Freeform Orders 'Besties' Comedy Series From Kenya Barris & Ranada Shepard". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- O'Connell, Michael (May 15, 2018). "Freeform Orders Another Kenya Barris Comedy, Renews 'Siren'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- Littleton, Cynthia (May 15, 2018). "Freeform Orders Kenya Barris Comedy 'Besties' to Series, Renews Drama 'Siren'". Variety. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (March 5, 2019). "Freeform's Jordin Sparks Comedy 'Besties' Gets New Title, Sets Director For First Episode". Deadline. Retrieved March 6, 2019.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (February 5, 2019). "Freeform Comedy 'Besties' To Star Jordin Sparks, Matt Shively And Brooks Brantly – TCA". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 5, 2019.
- Petski, Denise (February 20, 2019). "Freeform Comedy 'Besties' Casts Gigi Zumbado, Jessika Van & Davi Santos". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 20, 2019.