|Single by Alanis Morissette|
|from the album Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie|
|Released||March 18, 1999|
|Songwriter(s)||Alanis Morissette, Glen Ballard|
|Producer(s)||Alanis Morissette, Glen Ballard, Nick Rasculinecz|
|Alanis Morissette singles chronology|
"Unsent" is a song by Alanis Morissette on her 1998 album, Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie. It was released as the album's third single on March 18, 1999. It was one of the few Junkie tracks on which she played her harmonica. Morissette directed the music video for the song.
Without a chorus or hook, "Unsent" has an unconventional song structure. The lyrics consist of letters addressed to Morissette's former boyfriends and friends.
The music video was directed by Alanis Morissette herself. Its format reminds of a movie, with subtitles portraying everything that the characters are saying.
It opens with "Matthew" playing the guitar to Morissette, who feels she's bothering him and says she should leave. He says she should, but in a kind way. Alanis looks happy, but uncomfortable and leaves.
The second act shows Morissette, with curly hair, sitting with "Jonathan" at a bar, asking if she could come to wherever he is going the next day. She's concerned girls are coming on the trip too. He says she can, but doesn't look too interested.
The third act shows Alanis and "Terrance" (played by Josh Hopkins) by the lake, having a conversation about whether he is coming to visit her, to which he jokingly responds that he's "too busy". They laugh and look happy.
"Marcus" is the fourth to be shown. They kiss on a sofa, and he says he is very proud of Alanis. "What for?" she replies, and he says "[to be] open to testing different waters at the same time". Morissette looks confused, awkward, and sad.
The last scene shows Morissette entering a car driven by "Lou". They say "hi" to one another, but the only other dialogue is when Lou says "What are you thinking?" at the very end of the video.
A 10-minute movie of the video is available with no music and no subtitles, but you can hear the actors speak this time. It shows extended footage of all five stories.
- "Unsent" (album version) – 4:08
- "Are You Still Mad?" (BBC/Radio One live) – 3:59
- "London" (Bridge School Benefit live) – 4:46
- "Alanis Morissette - Unsent". Youtube. Warners Bros. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "ariaNET The Chart! Top 100 Singles – Week Commencing 5th April 1999". Imgur.com (original document published by ARIA). Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- "Alanis Morissette - Billboard Singles". Allmusic and Billboard.
- "Alanis Morissette - Artist Chart History - Singles". Billboard.
- "Top Singles - Volume 70, No. 8, December 13, 1999". RPM. December 13, 1999. Retrieved February 9, 2016.