This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Unsimulated sex is the presentation in a film of sex scenes where the actors engage in an actual sex act, and are not just miming or simulating the actions. At one time in the United States such scenes were restricted by law and self-imposed industry standards such as the Motion Picture Production Code. Films showing explicit sexual activity were confined to privately distributed underground films, such as stag films or "porn loops". Beginning in the late 1960s, most notably with Blue Movie by Andy Warhol, mainstream cinemas began pushing boundaries in terms of what was presented on screen. Although the vast majority of sexual situations depicted in mainstream cinema are simulated (in early pornography, the main actors engaged in simulated sex, with inserts placed in the film), on rare occasions actors engage in real sex. The difference between these films and pornography is that, while such scenes might be considered erotic, the intent of these films is not solely pornographic.
Notable examples include two of the eight Bedside-films and the six Zodiac-films from the 1970s, all of which were produced in Denmark and had many pornographic sex scenes, but were nevertheless considered mainstream films (they all had mainstream casts and crews, and premiered in mainstream cinemas). The last of these films, Agent 69 Jensen i Skyttens tegn, was made in 1978. From the end of the 1970s until the late 1990s it was rare to see hardcore scenes in mainstream cinema, but this changed with the success of Lars von Trier's The Idiots (1998), which heralded a wave of art-house films with explicit content, such as Romance (1999), Baise-moi (2000), Intimacy (2001), Vincent Gallo's The Brown Bunny (2003), and Michael Winterbottom's 9 Songs (2004). Some simulated sex scenes are sufficiently realistic that critics mistakenly believe that they are real, such as the cunnilingus scene in the 2006 film Red Road.
Films with unsimulated sexual activity
The following mainstream films have scenes with verified real sexual activity, meaning actors or actresses are filmed engaging in actual coitus or performing related sexual acts such as fellatio and cunnilingus. This list does not include documentaries about pornography, which may contain unsimulated sexual activity. For example, Inside Deep Throat contains approximately 30 seconds of unsimulated fellatio.
|Gift||1966||One of the first Danish mainstream films with explicit and unsimulated sex scenes, although key sex scenes were blocked by censors during showings at the time in the United States.||Danish|
|Blue Movie||1969||A 1969 film by Andy Warhol – the first film depicting explicit sex to receive wide theatrical distribution in the United States – a seminal film in the Golden Age of Porn and, according to Warhol, a major influence in the making of Last Tango in Paris, an internationally controversial erotic drama film, starring Marlon Brando, and released a few years after Blue Movie was made.||English|
|El Topo||1970||In his book about the film, Alexandro Jodorowsky says about the rape scene: "When I wanted to do the rape scene, I explained to [Mara Lorenzio] that I was going to hit her and rape her. There was no emotional relationship between us, because I had put a clause in all the women's contracts stating that they would not make love with the director. We had never talked to each other. I knew nothing about her. We went to the desert with two other people: the photographer and a technician. No one else. I said, 'I'm not going to rehearse. There will be only one take because it will be impossible to repeat. Roll the cameras only when I signal you to.' Then I told her, 'Pain does not hurt. Hit me.' And she hit me. I said, 'Harder.' And she started to hit me very hard, hard enough to break a rib...I ached for a week. After she had hit me long enough and hard enough to tire her, I said, 'Now it's my turn. Roll the cameras.' And I really...I really...I really raped her. And she screamed."||Spanish|
|Stille dage i Clichy (English title: Quiet Days in Clichy)||1970||Film, directed by Jens Jørgen Thorsen, is based on the long-banned novel by Henry Miller and contains a graphic insert of hardcore sex early on.||Danish, English|
|Cry Uncle!||1971||This film by John G. Avildsen shows unsimulated fellatio.||English|
|Pink Flamingos||1972||This film by John Waters was banned in Australia in 1997. The Board unanimously noted a scene which included "close up real depictions of actual fellatio....which unambiguously contravene R classification guidelines.".||English|
|I Jomfruens tegn||1973||First film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|Thriller - en grym film (English title: Thriller – A Cruel Picture)||1973||The original Swedish cut of this film, directed by Bo Arne Vibenius, contains explicit hardcore inserts.||Swedish|
|A Scream in the Streets||1973||Film by Carl Monson and several other directors contains a few seconds of actual penetration.||English|
|The Devil in Miss Jones||1973||American Film directed by Gerard Damiano and reviewed favorably by Roger Ebert.||English|
|I Tyrens tegn||1974||Second film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|Score||1974||American film by Radley Metzger, based on an off-Broadway play that included Sylvester Stallone.||English|
|Sweet Movie||1974||This film by Dušan Makavejev contains some unsimulated sex acts.||English, French, Polish, Spanish|
|Immoral Tales||1974||This film, directed by Walerian Borowczyk consists of four stories, titled La marée, Thérèse philosophe, Erszébet Báthory, and Lucrezia Borgia, respectively. In the third story, there is a close up scene of vaginal pearl insertion performed by an actress Marie Forså. The German Blu-ray edition of Immoral Tales contains a film clip from Borowczyk's A Private Collection. This clip features an unsimulated bestiality between a woman and a dog and hence, this material had to be pixelated in the German edition of the film.||French, Italian, Hungarian|
|Sexcula||1974||Filmed during the Golden Age of Porn, Sexcula is "the first fully Canadian film to work with Gothic horror elements and pay unabashed tribute to the Universal monster movie cycle". Quite explicit in its nature, it features mostly softcore scenes, including two hardcore sequences.||English|
|I Tvillingernes tegn||1975||Third film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|Der må være en sengekant||1975||Sixth film in the Danish Bedside-series of erotic mainstream-comedies, and one of the two to have hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|The Image||1975||This film by Radley Metzger, based upon the novel L'Image by Catherine Robbe-Grillet, features many unsimulated sex scenes including S&M, fellatio and lesbian cunnilingus.||English, French|
|Black Emanuelle||1975||This film, directed by Bitto Albertini exists in both softcore and hardcore versions. Hardcore scenes were performed by body doubles. In Italy, it was released on DVD by Stormovie with the fully uncut hardcore print.||Italian|
|Emanuelle e Françoise le sorelline||1975||A German version of this film directed by Joe D'Amato, and titled Die Lady Mit der Pussycat contains hardcore footage featuring Brigitte Lahaie.||Italian|
|Emanuelle in Bangkok||1976||Directed by Joe D'Amato this film, in its uncut Italian DVD version, contains a hardcore shots of vaginal penetration by ping pong balls.||Italian|
|Alice in Wonderland||1976||American film produced by William Osco and reviewed favorably by Roger Ebert.||English|
|Sømænd på sengekanten||1976||Eighth and final film in the Danish Bedside-series of erotic mainstream-comedies, and one of the two to have hardcore scenes, including extensive clips from the short Color Climax #1283: Mail Order Sex (1973), watched on 8mm by the ship's crew.||Danish|
|The Opening of Misty Beethoven||1976||American film by Radley Metzger, based on the play Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw (and its derivative, My Fair Lady) and considered, by award-winning author Toni Bentley, the "crown jewel" of the Golden Age of Porn.||English|
|I Løvens tegn||1976||Fourth film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|In the Realm of the Senses||1976||Based on a true story of a Japanese prostitute, features fellatio and other non-simulated sexual acts.||Japanese|
|Through the Looking Glass||1976||This film by Jonas Middleton with many experimental and avant-garde elements features hardcore sex scenes, including fellatio.||English|
|A Real Young Girl||1976||This film is Catherine Breillat's first feature film, shot in 1975, but banned for the next 25 years, mostly due to hardcore nature of its content. Some controversial scenes show: full frontal vagina, bodily fluids, urination and masturbation.||French|
|L'Ange et la Femme||1977||This film by Gilles Carle contains some explicitly unsimulated sexual activity between its stars.||French, English|
|Agent 69 Jensen i Skorpionens tegn||1977||Fifth film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|Barbara Broadcast||1977||American film by Radley Metzger released during the Golden Age of Porn features several scenes of unsimulated sex - some scenes present a surrealistic "Buñellian" atmosphere, according to one film reviewer.||English|
|Nazi Love Camp 27||1977||This film by Mario Caiano features actual penetration.||Italian|
|Emanuelle in America||1977||A film by Joe D'Amato exists in both softcore and hardcore versions.||Italian|
|Emanuelle Around the World||1977||The hardcore European version of this film by Joe D'Amato, prepared for the French market contains penetration, oral sex, and the bestiality scenes with the snake and the dog.||Italian|
|Sister Emanuelle||1977||There is also the Danish DVD Version of this film by Giuseppe Vari with hardcore sex scenes.|
|Agent 69 Jensen i Skyttens tegn||1978||Sixth and final film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|Behind Convent Walls||1978||The uncut version of this film by Walerian Borowczyk features hardcore scene of female masturbation by a wooden dildo.||Italian|
|Immoral Women||1979||This film, directed by Walerian Borowczyk consists of three stories titled Margherita, Marceline, and Marie, respectively. In the first story, Margherita, there is an unsimulated intercourse scene.||French, Italian|
|Caligula||1979||Uncut version of this film includes several authentic sex scenes, including penetration, fellatio and ejaculation during the six minutes worth of inserts shot by the film's producer, Bob Guccione. The sex shot by Tinto Brass in the rest of the movie, although very explicit, was simulated.||English|
|Images in a Convent||1979||This film by Joe D'Amato contains many explicit sex scenes including hardcore sex in the rape scene..||Italian|
|Erotic Nights of the Living Dead||1980||This Joe D'Amato's film exists in two versions: explicit version with hardcore scenes (Hardcore Version) and a rated general release that removes all the hardcore scenes (Original Version).||Italian|
|Hotel Paradise||1980||Both of softcore and hardcore versions of this film, directed by Edoardo Mulargia can be found on the Danish DVD by Another World Entertainment.||Italian|
|Sex and Black Magic||1980||This, mostly softcore film by Joe D'Amato shows one brief hardcore insert.||Italian|
|Bare Behind Bars||1980||A film by Oswaldo de Oliveira, features explicit sex scenes (mostly lesbian), and at least one hardcore hetero-sexual scene.||Portuguese|
|Cruising||1980||Director William Friedkin spliced in single frames of gay anal intercourse during at least one scene. Partially obscured sex acts, including fellatio and fisting.||English|
|Taxi zum Klo||1980||A film directed by Frank Ripploh features hardcore gay sex scenes.||German, English, French|
|Spetters||1980||This film directed by Paul Verhoeven features explicit hardcore sex scenes, including oral sex.||Dutch|
|Fruits of Passion||1981||This film by Shūji Terayama contains unsimulated fellatio.||Cantonese, Japanese, English, French|
|Caligola: La storia mai raccontata (English title: The Emperor Caligula: The Untold Story, or Caligula 2 - The Untold Story)||1982||The uncut European version of this film, directed by Joe D'Amato, features penetration, ejaculation and fellato in an orgy scene.||Italian|
|Scandale||1982||This film by George Mihalka contains both softcore and hardcore sex scenes.||French|
|Emmanuelle 4||1984||This film, directed by Francis Leroi and Iris Letans exists in at least two versions.The Canadian VHS contains 3 hardcore scenes, including oral sex and intercourse.||French|
|The Alcove||1985||Film by Joe D'Amato contains a few real sex scenes.||Italian|
|James Joyce's Women||1985||This film, directed by Michael Pearce, is based on James Joyce's Ulysses and shows about twenty minutes of real, on camera masturbation by Fionnula Flanagan, the main actress.||English|
|Devil in the Flesh||1986||Features a short scene of fellatio, during which the man tells the woman about Lenin's return to St. Petersburg in 1917.||Italian|
|Emmanuelle 5||1987||This film, directed by Walerian Borowczyk, exists in at least three versions. A hardcore version was only released in France on VHS and contains scenes of intercourse, oral sex, masturbation and urination.||French, English|
|Emmanuelle 6||1988||A hardcore edit on VHS was released in France, making this version about 10 minutes longer than US DVD version.||French|
|Hotel St. Pauli||1988||This film by Svend Wam shows unsimulated oral sex.||Norwegian, Swedish|
|Kinski Paganini||1989||Klaus Kinski's directorial debut. According to one reviewer: "[...] it is really extremely bizarre, in moments brutal and almost experimental film with plenty of softcore and hardcore scenes [...]"||Italian|
|トパーズ (Also known as: Tokyo Decadence and Topāzu)||1992||This film by Ryu Murakami about prostitution in Japan contains sexually explicit and graphic scenes, including explicit use of a vibrator and strap-on, as well as a urination scene. However, "Murakami didn't make this film to tickle people's libidos; he wanted to bring out the potential ugliness that can come through sex."||Japanese, English|
|The Soft Kill||1994||The DVD version of this film, directed by Eli Cohen, features penetration.||English|
|La Vie de Jésus (English title: The Life of Jesus)||1997||"In Life of Jesus, Dumont included extreme close-ups of penetration to emphasize the animal nature of the sex act."||French|
|Idioterne (English title: The Idiots)||1998||This film by Lars von Trier features extremely brief penetration and group sex.||Danish|
|Fiona||1998||This film directed by Amos Kollek features a brief oral sex scene.||English|
|Seul contre tous (English title: I Stand Alone)||1998||The film is Gaspar Noé's first feature-length production and features several actual sex scenes.||French|
|Jezus is een Palestijn (English title: Jesus is a Palestinian)||1999||Director Lodewijk Crijns: "From the beginning I swore that there would be a visual penetration in my film. [...] Eventually that scene made it into the film and also in a way which I think is very surprising."||Dutch|
|Romance||1999||Directed by Catherine Breillat, features male and female masturbation, fellatio, penetration, ejaculation, and sadomasochistic bondage.||French|
|Pola X||1999||"Pola X gained infamy world wide for its unsimulated sex acts between Guillaume Depardieu (Pierre) and Yekaterina Golubeva (Isabelle). Although body stand-ins were used for the most explicit parts."||French|
|La donna lupo (English title: The Man-Eater)||1999||Film by Aurelio Grimaldi contains a scene of actual fellatio.||Italian|
|Guardami||1999||Based on the life of Italian porn actress Moana Pozzi, this film directed by Davide Ferrario shows real oral sex.||Italian|
|Vampire Strangler||1999||A film by William Hellfire shows real fellatio by an actress Erin Brown.||English|
|Giulia (English title: Julia)||1999||This film by Roy Stuart shows scenes of fellatio, cunnilingus and intercourse performed by actress Anna Bielska.||French|
|Humanité||1999||A film by Bruno Dumont contains sex and nudity, including three hardcore scenes.||French, English|
|Baise-moi||2000||Several actual sex scenes, including penetration and fellatio.||French|
|Scrapbook||2000||This film by Eric Stanze includes non-penetrative sex acts and an actor urinating on an actress.||English|
|Scarlet Diva||2000||A semi-autobiographical film about Italian actress and director Asia Argento's life as an actress, it contains many non-simulated sex scenes according to Argento herself.||English, Italian, French|
|Le Pornographe (English title: The Pornographer)||2001||This film by Bertrand Bonello shows many hardcore sex scenes, including penetration.||French|
|Lucía y el sexo (English title: Sex and Lucia)||2001||This film by Julio Medem contains several real sex scenes, including penetration and fellatio from the porn movie made by one of the film's characters as well as manual stimulation of an erect penis and cunnilingus performed by and on another film's character.||Spanish, English|
|Hundstage (English title: Dog Days)||2001||The first fictional feature film by director Ulrich Seidl contains a hardcore orgy scene.||German|
|The Center of the World||2001||A film by Wayne Wang contains "the graphic sex of Triple-X videos".||English|
|La novia de Lázaro (English title: Lazaro’s Girlfriend)||2002||This film by Fernando Merinero features about a minute-long scene of explicit fellatio.||Spanish|
|Le loup de la côte Ouest (English title: The Wolf of the West Coast)||2002||A Hugo Santiago film with recognizable stars James Faulkner and Anna Mouglalis features unsimulated sex scenes.||French, English|
|Sud sanaeha (English title: Blissfully Yours)||2002||This film, directed by Apichatpong Weerasethakul, contains a scene of explicit fellatio.||Thai|
|Choses secrètes (English title: Secret Things)||2002||A Jean-Claude Brisseau film about female sexuality that shows many explicit sex scenes, including public masturbation by a female character and a hardcore orgy scene. The first film of a trilogy.||French|
|The Brown Bunny||2003||This film by Vincent Gallo features a scene of fellatio.||English|
|Fallo! (English title: Do It! or Private)||2003||Film directed by Tinto Brass contains real fellatio.||Italian, French, English, Spanish|
|Rossa Venezia||2003||This film by Andreas Bethmann features many hardcore sex scenes, mostly lesbian.||German|
|The Principles of Lust||2003||Film by Penny Woolcock shows an orgy scene with several unsimulated sex acts, including oral sex.||English|
|Anatomie de l'enfer (English title: Anatomy of Hell)||2004||By director Catherine Breillat, it features "actual sex, high-level sex scenes and high-level themes" according to the Australian Classification Review Board.||French|
|9 Songs||2004||Several non-simulated sex scenes, including penetration, fellatio, cunnilingus and ejaculation.||English|
|Story of the Eye||2004||Based on the novel Story of the Eye by Georges Bataille, this film, directed by Andrew Repasky McElhinney contains many hardcore sex scenes.||English|
|Kärlekens språk 2000||2004||A Swedish sex educational film directed by Anders Lennberg shows many unsimulated sex scenes.||Swedish|
|All About Anna||2005||A film directed by Jessica Nilsson, featuring intercourse performed both by Eileen Daly and Gry Bay and male actors, fellatio with ejaculation performed by Eileen Daly on Mark Stevens, cunnilingus performed by Ovidie on Gry Bay.||Danish|
|8mm 2||2005||A film directed by J. S. Cardone, featuring various erotic scenes that include complete nudity, group sex, female masturbation, oral stimulation, authentic pornography frames, and lesbian cunnilingus.||English|
|Kissing on the Mouth||2005||Film by Joe Swanberg contains a real scene of masturbation with ejaculation.||English|
|天邊一朵雲 (English title: The Wayward Cloud)||2005||This film directed by Tsai Ming-liang features fellatio and penetration.||Mandarin|
|Princesas||2005||This film by Fernando León de Aranoa contains a scene of explicit fellatio.||Spanish|
|Lie with Me||2005||A film by Clement Virgo, based on the novel of the same title, contains "medium-to-hardcore sex".||English, Spanish|
|Shortbus||2006||Several actors perform real sexual acts including explicit masturbation, autofellatio, coitus, and heterosexual and homosexual fellatio.||English|
|Taxidermia||2006||This film, directed by György Pálfi features actual penetration.||Hungarian, English, Russian|
|Les Anges Exterminateurs||2006||The second Jean-Claude Brisseau film that explores female sexuality. It shows unsimulated female masturbation.||French|
|Auftauchen (Also known as Amour fou)||2006||Felicitas Korn's feature film debut shows several authentic sex scenes.||German|
|It Is Fine! Everything Is Fine.||2007||This film directed by David Brothers and Crispin Glover contains actual penetration.||English|
|L'histoire de Richard O. (English title: The Story of Richard O.)||2007||This film by Damien Odoul shows numerous real sex scenes.||French, Finnish|
|Import/Export||2007||The second fictional feature film by Ulrich Seidl contains several authentic sex scenes, including female masturbation and anal fingering. The authenticity of the fellatio scene is debatable.||German, Slovak, Russian, English|
|El Búfalo de la noche (English title: The Night Buffalo)||2007||This film by Jorge Hernandez Aldana contains an explicit fellatio scene.||Spanish|
|Serbis (English title: Service)||2008||Directed by Brillante Mendoza, it shows explicit fellatio.||Filipino, Tagalog|
|Tropical Manila||2008||This film, directed by Sang-woo Lee, contain several explicit sex acts, including real fellatio.||Filipino, Korean|
|À l'aventure||2008||The third film by Jean-Claude Brisseau about female sexuality contains many explicit sex scenes, including authentic female masturbation and orgasm.||French|
|Amateur Porn Star Killer 2||2008||This film by Shane Ryan includes explicit scenes of penetration and oral sex. The second film of a trilogy.||English|
|Antichrist||2009||This film by Lars von Trier features a scene of penetrative vaginal intercourse, and also includes graphically violent sexual imagery. Body doubles were used to make the film.||English|
|Enter the Void||2009||This film, directed by Gaspar Noé contains some unsimulated sexual activity.||English, Japanese|
|The Band||2009||This film directed by Anna Brownfield features numerous sequences of unsimulated sex.||English|
|Dogtooth||2009||A film by Giorgos Lanthimos. "The brief real sex is used to establish the unusual and dysfunctional lifestyle that results from the isolation orchestrated by the dictatorial father, including incest."||Greek|
|Now & Later||2009||The film contains an unsimulated oral scene and a simulated sex scene.||English|
|Bedways||2010||This film by Rolf Peter Kahl shows real sex scenes, including a three-minute-long scene of masturbation.||German|
|The Bunny Game||2010||This film directed by Adam Rehmeier contains an explicit scene of fellatio.||English|
|Killer Bitch||2010||Controversial in many aspects, this film by Liam Galvin contains real sex scenes according to executive producer John Fleming.||English|
|Año bisiesto (English title: Leap Year)||2010||Film by Michael Rowe features unsimulated sex scenes.||Spanish|
|Gandu||2010||An Indian film, directed by Qaushiq Mukherjee, that contains actual sex scenes.||Bengali|
|LelleBelle||2010||This film by Mischa Kamp contain the images of unsimulated penetration.||Dutch|
|Q (English title: Desire)||2011||A 2011 French film, directed by Laurent Bouhnik, which features several graphic unsimulated depictions of sex.||French|
|Hotel Desire||2011||This short film directed by Sergej Moya contains an unsimulated sex scene between the actors Saralisa Volm and Clemens Schick.||German|
|愛很爛 (English title: Love Actually... Sucks!)||2011||A Hong Kong film, directed by Scud, features fellatio.||Mandarin, Cantonese, English|
|Caged||2011||A 2011 Dutch film directed by Stephan Brenninkmeijer, it contains several explicit hardcore sex scenes.||Dutch|
|Léa||2011||This film, directed by Bruno Rolland, contains an unsimulated scene of cunniligus.||French|
|Starlet||2012||This film by Sean S. Baker contains a scene of penetration.||English|
|Marfa Girl||2012||A film by Larry Clark with content similar to his cult film Ken Park.||English|
|Nymphomaniac||2013||A two-part drama by Lars von Trier, the third of his loose "Depression" trilogy. To produce scenes of simulated sex, von Trier used digital compositing to superimpose the genitals of pornographic film actors onto the bodies of the film's actors. Producer Louise Vesth explained during the Cannes Film Festival: "We shot the actors pretending to have sex and then had the body doubles, who really did have sex, and in post we will digital impose the two. So above the waist it will be the star and the (sic) below the waist it will be the doubles." Gainsbourg and Martin further revealed that prosthetic vaginas and closed sets were used during filming.||Danish|
|Pornopung||2013||A 2013 Norwegian film, directed by Johan Kaos, that features a scene of explicit fellatio.||Norwegian|
|Stranger by the Lake||2013||Directed by Alain Guiraudie, Stranger by the Lake contains scenes of unsimulated sex that were shot using body doubles.||French|
|Wetlands||2013||Film by David Wnendt contains a real scene of masturbation and ejaculation by several men on twenty pizzas. The hired porn stars were used for shooting the scene.||German|
|Pasolini||2014||A film by Abel Ferrara, about the final day in the life of Pier Paolo Pasolini, shows several actual sex scenes, including fellatio.||English, Italian, French|
|Love||2015||This film by Gaspar Noé features scenes of unsimulated sexual activity and is notable as being a 3-D release.||English|
|Paris 05:59||2016||The film opens with an 18-minute unsimulated gay orgy scene at a Paris sex club.||French|
Pornography films re-edited for mainstream release
Prior to the advent of home video, a number of hardcore pornography films were released to mainstream cinemas. In most cases, scenes of penetration were either cut out or replaced with alternate shots. One exception to this was Deep Throat, which was released uncensored.
Examples of this type of hybrid release include Alice in Wonderland (1976), shot as X-rated, but first released as an R-rated version—afterwards, the uncut version was released; Café Flesh (1982)—the R-rated version of this science fiction porn film was released to mainstream cinemas; Stocks and Blondes (1984), originally available as Wanda Whips Wall Street; and Droid (1988), originally released as Cabaret Sin in 1987.
- Dirks, Tim. "History of Sex in Cinema: The Greatest and Most Influential Sexual Films and Scenes". Filmsite.org. American Movie Classic Company. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Corliss, Richard (29 March 2005). "That Old Feeling: When Porno Was Chic". TIME. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Hohendal, Kristin (1 July 2001). "Film Goes All the Way (In the Name of Art)". New York Times. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Gerrard, Nicci (3 October 1999). "Coming soon to a cinema near you". Thihe Observer (London). Retrieved 4 December 2009.
Catherine Breillat's controversial French film, Romance, has just been given an 18 certificate by the British Board of Film Classification. It will be granted the respectability of mainstream cinemas round the country. It has been passed because it is 'philosophical', not pornographic. It is about sexual relationships, not an aid to sexual gratification.
- Jensen, Michael (November 2006). "Legitimizing Illegitimacy: Identity Spaces and Markets for Illegitamate Products" (PDF). Organizations & Markets Workshop (Chicago Booth).
- "Explicit Euro-sex test for British censors". The Guardian (London). 22 February 1999. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Wilmington, Michael (27 August 2001). "Graphic Sex Scenes on Film Causing Little Fuss--for Now". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Dalton, Stephen (7 October 2006). "Sealed with a Glasgow kiss". The Times (London). Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- A Film Review by James Berardinelli.
- Ebbe Villadsen: Danish Erotic Film Classics (2005).
- Canby, Vincent (22 July 1969). "Movie Review - Blue Movie (1968) Screen: Andy Warhol's 'Blue Movie'". New York Times. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Canby, Vincent (10 August 1969). "Warhol's Red Hot and 'Blue' Movie. D1. Print. (behind paywall)". New York Times. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Comenas, Gary (2005). "Blue Movie (1968)". WarholStars.org. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Comenas, Gary (1969). "21 July 1969: Andy Warhol's Blue Movie Opens". WarholStars.org. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Haggerty, George E. (2015). A Companion to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Studies. John Wiley & Sons. p. 339. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Adam Tyner. Quiet Days in Clichy (Blu-ray). dvdtalk.com. 25 January 2011.
- Andrew Hershberger. Cry Uncle!. efilmcritic.com. 25 February 20001.
- 1997: Why PINK FLAMINGOS was banned. Censorship in Australia.
- Kurly Tlapoyawa. Thriller: A Cruel Picture. alibi.com.
- Carroll Jenkins. Thriller: They Call Her One Eye (Vengeance Edition). 10,000 Bullets. 11 June 2014
- Stuart Willis. A Scream In The Streets. Sex Gore Mutants.
- Ebert, Roger (13 June 1973). "The Devil In Miss Jones - Film Review". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- Gallagher, Steve (Summer 1997), "The Libertine", Filmmaker Magazine, retrieved May 24, 2015
- Bentley, Toni (June 2014). "The Legend of Henry Paris". Playboy. Retrieved January 26, 2016.
- Bentley, Toni (June 2014). "The Legend of Henry Paris" (PDF). ToniBentley.com. Retrieved January 26, 2016.
- Brendan Babish. Sweet Movie. DVDVerdict. 2 July 2007.
- Endnotes no. 26. Senses of Cinema
- Immoral Tales (Contes immoraux). The Digital Fix
- Sexcula. Canuxploitation.com
- Atanasov, Dr. Svet (11 June 2011). "The Image Blu-ray Review". www.blu-ray.com. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Black Emanuelle (1975).
- Black Emanuelle/Review.
- Emanuelle e Francoise le sorelline.
- Synopsis by Robert Firsching.
- Comparation: BBFC 18 DVD/Italian DVD.
- Ebert, Roger (24 November 1976). "Alice in Wonderland:An X-Rated Musical Fantasy". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- Maass, Dave (28 February 2008). "Real Sex in Unreal Films: Penetrating movies that aren't pornos". Film.com. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- Kehr, Dave (24 April 2009). "Nagisa Oshima's Realm of Restraint and Precision". New York Times. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- Through the Looking Glass. Beardy Freak [42ndStreetFreak]
- A REAL YOUNG GIRL. filmjournal.com
- Review: ‘A Real Young Lady’. Variety.com
- A Real Young Girl (1976, Fr.) (aka Une Vraie Jeune Fille). History of Sex in Cinema
- Tom Newth. The Imaginary Documentaries of Montreal Filmmakers Frank Vitale, Allan Moyle, and Stephen Lack. popOptiq. 20 February 2015
- Staff (27 August 2013). "Barbara Broadcast - BluRay DVD Review". Mondo-digital.com. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- Nazi Love Camp 27. 19 April 2009
- Comparation: Softcore Version/Hardcore Version.
- Emanuelle Around the World: XXX European Cut (1977).
- Comparation: US DVD/Danish DVD.
- Behind Convent Walls. D V D B e a v e r
- Behind Convent Walls (1978, It.) (aka Interno di un Convento, or Interieur d'un Couvent). The History of Sex in Cinema
- Walerian Borowczyk's Heroines of Desire. Senses of Cinema
- Caligula: A Film Review by David Carter.
- Stuart Galbraith IV. Reviews: Images in a Convent. Media Blasters. 14 June 2005
- Erotic Nights of the Living Dead. 10kbullets
- Comparation: Original Version/Hardcore Version Movie - Censorship.com
- Comparison: Softcore Version/Hardcore Version. Movie - Censorship.com
- Orgasmo Nero. Film Critics United
- Bare Behind Bars (1980). Girls, Guns and Ghouls
- Peter Bradshaw. Taxi zum Klo – review. The Guardian. 21 April 2011
- Tiff’s Flesh + Blood: The Films of Paul Verhoeven Review: Spetters (1980). OLLIE ENGLAND. 12 February 2014
- The Fruits of Passion. The Digital Fix
- Caligula 2 - The Untold Story (1982). 4 August 2010. (German)
- Ralph Elawani. Scandale. Canuxploitation.
- Comparation: Original Version/Canadian VHS.
- The Alcove (1985). Severin Films
- James Joyce's Women (1985). Movie House Commentary.
- Canby, Vincent (29 May 1987). "Devil in the Flesh (1986)". New York Times. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- Hume, Christopher (13 August 1986). "Sex act offends censor festival film ordered cut". Toronto Star. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Comparation: Original European Version/French VHS Version.
- Comparation: US DVD/French VHS.
- Hotel St. Pauli.
- ‘Kinski Paganini: originalna verzija’ (1989). Žuti titl. (Croatian)
- James Berardinelli. Tokyo Decadence. ReelViews. 8/6/93.
- Greg Wroblewski. The Soft Kill. Movie House Commentary.
- Erickson, Steve (29 November 2000). "Mysteries of Love". Minneapolis City Pages. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- http://www.independent.co.uk/news/group-sex-film-passed-by-censor-1071335.html. Missing or empty
- Naughty Netflix: Fiona. 17 November 2009
- Seul contre tous (1998). The World's Greatest Critic.
- Lodewijk Crijns. Spirituele extase door middel van piercing. De Filmkrant. February 1999 (Dutch)
- Adair, Gilbert (28 September 1999). "Welcome to planet porn". Independent (London). Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Simpson, Clare (25 February 2015). "10 Mainstream Films With Unsimulated Sex Acts - Pola X". WhatCulture.com. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- Ebert, Roger (6 October 2000). "Film Review - Pola X". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "Pola X". Cannes Film Festival. 1999. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- Derek Elley. Review: ‘Maneater’. Variety. 11 October 1999
- Vampire Strangler. Movie House Commentary
- Julia (1999). European Movie Reviews. 4 July 2011.
- L'Humanite. efilmcritic.com.
- Tim Adams (26 November 2006). "Everybody's doing it...". The Guardian (London: Guardian News and Media Limited).
- Ray Casta. Scrapbook. SeveredCinema.com, retrieved 5 September 2015.
- Head Cheeze. Scarlet Diva. Horror View.
- Scott Weinberg. The Pornographer. 14 June 2005
- Sex and Lucia - Comparison: R-rated/Unrated version..
- Film of the Month: Dog Days..
- Mark Halverson. The Center of the World. Sacramento News & Review. 05.31.01.
- Eddie Cockrell. Review: ‘Lazaro’s Girlfriend’. Variety. 26 August 2002
- Wolf of the West Coast. Women in Prison Films. 13 February 2013
- Ben Sillis. Blissfully Yours. EyeForFilm.co.uk. 6 July 2006.
- Charles Taylor. "Secret Things". Salon.com. 20 February 2004.
- Gilbey, Ryan (16 February 2008). "Chloë's world". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 27 May 2010.
- Mark R. Hasan. BR: Private / Fallo! / Do It! (2003). KQEK
- Zev Toledano. Andreas Bethmann. The Worldwide Celluloid Massacre
- David Stanners. The Principles Of Lust. EyeForFilm.co.uk. 11 March 2004
- Maddox, Garry (8 July 2004). "Censors refuse to ban film depicting real sex". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- Dave Kehr. Exploring the Temptation to Look (and to Look Away). New York Times. 22 September 2004
- Film Karlekens Sprak 2000. kinomusorka.ru
- "History of Sex in Cinema: The Greatest and Most Influential Sexual Films and Scenes (Illustrated) 2005, Part 1".
- "8mm 2 Comparison: Rated and Unrated (Movie-Censorship.com)".
- Don R. Lewis. Kissing on the Mouth. 14 September 2006
- Nathan Lee. Watermelon-Eating Contest!. The Village Voice. 13 February 2007
- Sarah Cronin. Tsai Ming-Liang. Electric Sheep Magazine. 1 November 2007
- Keith Phipps. Princesas. The Onion A.V. Club. 23 August 2006
- Leslie Felperin. Review: ‘Lie with Me’. Variety. 12 October 2005.
- Brian D. Johnson (2 June 2006). "Sook-Yin Lee shocker in Cannes | Macleans.ca - Culture - Lifestyle". Macleans.ca. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- Taxidermia. Dread Central. 5 April 2010
- A.O.Scott. A Cerebral Skin Flick. New York Times. 7 March 2007
- Joachim Kurz. Auftauchen. kino-zeit.de. 11 September 2008 (German)
- Peter Sciretta. Sundance: It is Fine! EVERYTHING IS FINE. Movie Review. slashfilm.com. 25 January 2007
- Alexandra Pascalidou. The Story of Richard O. Stockholm Film Festival
- Marco Duran. Import/Export. DVD Verdict. 4 February 2010
- El Bufalo De La Noche (2007, Mex.) (aka The Night Buffalo)..
- Jay Weissberg. Review: ‘Service’. Variety.com. 18 May 2008
- Tropical Manila SD-2008. International Film Festival Rotterdam.
- À l'Aventure. DVD Times. 8 July 2009.
- Gary Tooze. À l'Aventure. DVDBeaver.
- Jay S. Jacobs. Amateur Porn Star Killer 2. PopEntertainment.com. 6 June 2008
- "RT Interview: Lars von Trier on Antichrist". 22 July 2009. Retrieved 21 July 2010.
- Enter The Void. albertafilmratings.ca. 03/23/2011.
- Tyler Foster. The Band. 16 February 2010
- Dogtooth-insight. The British Board of Film Classification.
-  Philadelphia City Paper. 19 May 2011.
- Bedways – Movie Review. 4 April 2011
- The Bunny Game: An Ecstatic Vision Quest of Torture, Death, and Rebirth. 6 February 2011
- How to make the world’s worst movie: take one Scots producer and add some sex, death and Mr Katie Price. herald scotland. 2 May 2010
- Caterina Benincasa. Late review - London Film Fest 2010 Day 5 - Leap Year / Ano Bisiesto. Bina007 Movies. 26 November 2010
- Mike S. Ryan. GANDU. Hammer to nail. 30 January 2011
- Monica Meijer. Lellebelle. Cinemagazine. 21 January 2011 (Dutch)
- amazon.co.uk - Product Description.
- Libiot, Eric (9 September 2011). "Q: Un film sur le désir et l'amour, mais raté." (in French). L'Express. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Über die Sex-Szenen in Hotel Desire". TIKonline.de.
- Raymond Ko. Love Actually... Sucks! – Scud’s latest film censored. 25 Jul 2011.
- Recensie: Caged (Stephan Brenninkmeijer, 2011). De Nachtvlinders. 3 September 2011 (Dutch)
- Léa. FilmBizarro.com.
- Don Simpson. Starlet | Review. Smells Like Screen Spirit. 12 March 2012
- Lanxon, Nate (22 May 2013). "Hardcore sex in 'Nymphomaniac' puts porn actor genitals on cast's bodies". Wired UK. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- Stig-Lennart Sørensen. Filmanmeldelse: «Pornopung». Videomagasinet. (Norwegian)
- Osenlund, R. Kurt (24 January 2014). "Interview: Alain Guiraudie". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- Jada Yuan. Wetlands Is Sundance’s Crassest, Most Outrageous Movie. 23 January 2014
- Caterina Benincasa. PASOLINI - LFF14 - Day Three. Bina007 Movie Reviews. 10 October 2014.
- Giovanni Marchini Camia. Love. Cannes 2015 Review. 21 May 2015
- Boyer, Thomas (16 May 2016). "F*cking Deep: Explicit Sex and Queer Cinema". Inside Out. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- Weissberg, Jay (19 February 2016). "Berlin Film Review: ‘Paris 05:59’". Variety. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- Alice in Wonderland (1976/I).
- Peary, Danny (1988). Cult Movies 3. New York: Simon & Schuster Inc. pp. 52–56. ISBN 0-671-64810-1.
- What Blockbuster Didn't Bust Blockbuster's inconsistent ratings policy -- The video rental store cracks down on X and NC-17 rated films, but ignores racier unrated fare like Wild Orchid, Ty Burr, Entertainment Weekly, 29 March 1991.
- Villadsen, Ebbe (2005): Danish Erotic Film Classics.
- Williams, Linda Ruth (2005): The Erotic Thriller in Contemporary Cinema. Indiana University Press. ISBN 0-253-34713-0.