This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Unsimulated sex is the presentation in a film of sex scenes where the actors engage in an actual sex act, and are not just miming or simulating the actions. At one time in the United States such scenes were restricted by law and self-imposed industry standards such as the Motion Picture Production Code. Films showing explicit sexual activity were confined to privately distributed underground films, such as stag films or "porn loops". Beginning in the late 1960s, most notably with Blue Movie by Andy Warhol, mainstream cinemas began pushing boundaries in terms of what was presented on screen. Although the vast majority of sexual situations depicted in mainstream cinema are simulated (in early pornography, the main actors engaged in simulated sex, with inserts placed in the film), on rare occasions actors engage in real sex. The difference between these films and pornography is that, while such scenes might be considered erotic, the intent of these films is not solely pornographic.
Notable examples include two of the eight Bedside-films and the six Zodiac-films from the 1970s, all of which were produced in Denmark and had many pornographic sex scenes, but were nevertheless considered mainstream films (they all had mainstream casts and crews, and premiered in mainstream cinemas). The last of these films, Agent 69 Jensen i Skyttens tegn, was made in 1978. From the end of the 1970s until the late 1990s it was rare to see hardcore scenes in mainstream cinema, but this changed with the success of Lars von Trier's The Idiots (1998), which heralded a wave of art-house films with explicit content, such as Romance (1999), Baise-moi (2000), Intimacy (2001), Vincent Gallo's The Brown Bunny (2003), and Michael Winterbottom's 9 Songs (2004). Some simulated sex scenes are sufficiently realistic that critics mistakenly believe that they are real, such as the cunnilingus scene in the 2006 film Red Road.
Films with unsimulated sexual activity
The following mainstream films have scenes with verified real sexual activity, meaning actors or actresses are filmed engaging in actual coitus or performing related sexual acts such as fellatio and cunnilingus. This list does not include documentaries about pornography, which may contain unsimulated sexual activity. For example, Inside Deep Throat contains approximately 30 seconds of unsimulated fellatio.
|Gift||1966||One of the first Danish mainstream films with explicit and unsimulated sex scenes, although key sex scenes were blocked by censors during showings at the time in the United States.||Danish|
|Blue Movie||1969||A 1969 film by Andy Warhol – the first film depicting explicit sex to receive wide theatrical distribution in the United States – a seminal film in the Golden Age of Porn and, according to Warhol, a major influence in the making of Last Tango in Paris, an internationally controversial erotic drama film, starring Marlon Brando, and released a few years after Blue Movie was made.||English|
|99 Women||1969||There are two different versions of this film by Jess Franco: Director's Cut (released in 1969) and X-Rated "French version" which contains eight hardcore scenes that were shot by Bruno Mattei (released in 1974).||English|
|Double Face||1969||There is a French hardcore version of this film, directed by Riccardo Freda featuring an actress Alice Arno.||Italian|
|Quiet Days in Clichy||1970||Film, directed by Jens Jørgen Thorsen, is based on the long-banned novel by Henry Miller and contains a graphic insert of hardcore sex early on.||Danish, English|
|Groupie Girl||1970||Groupie Girl, directed by Derek Ford is also available in hardcore "export" version.||English|
|The Deviates||1970||A film directed by Eduardo Cemano contains hardcore inserts which involve Harry Reems.||English|
|Bacchanale||1970||American film directed by John and Lem Amero contains some hardcore inserts. It focuses primarily on the "erotic surrealism" and "dream-logic". Actually, the whole film is a dream that mixes death, guilt, eroticism and incest.||English|
|Kama Sutra '71||1970||American film, directed by Raj Devi features hardcore scenes, involving an actress Ann Perry (died in 2015).||English|
|Cry Uncle!||1971||This film by John G. Avildsen shows unsimulated fellatio.||English|
|Sex on Skis||1971||Shown in British Columbia as Sex on Skis, this film with original French title: Après-ski, directed by Roger Cardinal is the product of Quebec's controversial sortie into international sexploitation, one of the movies that's made Montreal a real moviemaking centre. Though English Canadian and U.K. prints were severely cut, it's been reported that the U.S. version included hardcore scenes added by the stateside distributor from its own stock footage collection.||French|
|Slaughter Hotel||1971||A film, directed by Fernando Di Leo is also released in a version featuring hardcore inserts of female genitalia and lesbian intercourse. This version circulated in France under the title Les insatisfaites poupées érotiques du docteur Hitchcock.||Italian|
|A Lizard in a Woman's Skin||1971||There are three French versions of this film by Lucio Fulci: Carole (the original version released in 1971), and two versions released in 1976: Le Venin de la Peur (renamed original version) and X-rated version with hard inserts under the title Les Salopes vont en Enfer .||Italian|
|Luminous Procuress||1971||A film , directed by Steven F. Arnold features some hardcore hetero-sexual sex.||English|
|Secret Rites||1971||British pseudo-documentary film by Derek Ford is also available in hardcore "export version".||English|
|W.R. - Mysteries of the Organism||1971||A film directed by Dušan Makavejev contains several explicit (but softcore) scenes including a hardcore scene in which Nancy Godfrey sculpted a plaster-cast replica of underground Screw Magazine editor Jim Buckley's erect penis.||Serbian, English|
|Pink Flamingos||1972||This film by John Waters was banned in Australia in 1997. The Board unanimously noted a scene which included "close up real depictions of actual fellatio....which unambiguously contravene R classification guidelines.".||English|
|Who Killed the Prosecutor and Why?||1972||There is a version of this film, directed by Giuseppe Vari made for foreign market with hardcore inserts.||Italian|
|So Sweet, So Dead||1972||This film, directed by Roberto Bianchi Montero was released in the USA under the title Penetration with hardcore inserts.||Italian|
|The Red Headed Corpse||1972||There is the DVD Version of this film, directed by Renzo Russo with hardcore inserts taken from the French VHS Version under the title La peau qui brûle.||Italian|
|Commuter Husbands||1972||British film by Derek Ford exists also in a version with hardcore inserts, but there is no suggestion that any of the credited cast did HC.||English|
|Delirio caldo||1972||A German double DVD from 2014 entitled Das Grauen kommt nachts contains four different versions of this film by Renato Polselli (also known as Death at the Villa and Delirium) including the French hardcore version.||Italian|
|I Jomfruens tegn||1973||First film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|Thriller – A Cruel Picture||1973||The original Swedish cut of this film, directed by Bo Arne Vibenius, contains explicit hardcore inserts.||Swedish|
|A Scream in the Streets||1973||Film by Carl Monson and several other directors contains a few seconds of actual penetration.||English|
|The Devil in Miss Jones||1973||American Film directed by Gerard Damiano and reviewed favorably by Roger Ebert.||English|
|The Obscene Mirror||1973||A number of versions of this film exist. Each version contains unique scenes and was prepared for different markets: the Spanish version (Al otro lado del espejo), two French versions (Le miroir obscène), one with hardcore inserts, and the Italian version (Lo specchio del piacere) which restructures the film substantially and includes some different hardcore inserts to the French XXX version.||Spanish|
|Sinner: The Secret Diary of a Nymphomaniac||1973||This film by Jess Franco, also known as Le Journal intime d'une nymphomane exists in versions featuring hardcore sex.||French|
|A Virgin Among the Living Dead||1973||A Virgin Among the Living Dead is one of the films from Jess Franco’s classic period and exists under a plethora of different versions, including both hardcore and edited versions.||French|
|The Sinful Dwarf||1973||There are at least two versions of this film directed by Vidal Raski: Unrated US theatrical version, titled The Abducted Bride and Danish hardcore version, titled The Dwarf.||English|
|The Devil's Plaything||1973||A film directed by Joseph W. Sarno, in its uncut version features many explicit scenes, including a close-up scene of female masturbation by dildo.||English|
|Anita: Swedish Nymphet||1973||Swedish film, directed by Torgny Wickman. "Because of its serious treatment of nymphomania as a disease, Anita is not at all erotic, despite the typically high bar for Scandinavian nudity". This film exists in many versions, including a hardcore version released in the United States in 1975 under the title Anita, Swedish Nymphette.||Swedish|
|Forced Entry||1973||American film by Shaun Costello contains hardcore sex in a rape scene. According to the reviewer: "[...] this is something beyond porn. The use of hardcore sex in Forced Entry is more of the ultimate crossing of the exploitation line. It uses sex to create a disturbing and disgusting tone that conveys the brutality of the rape scenes. And in that context, the film finds some sort of "artistic" success".||English|
|Demoniacs||1973||A film by Jean Rollin. Dutch company named “Encore Filmed Entertainment” released the film as a three disc set. The third disc includes a “hardcore shot” where the close-up of female private parts can be seen.||French|
|Tender and Perverse Emanuelle||1973||A film by Jess Franco contains both softcore scenes and a scene of female masturbating a man's erect penis.||French|
|The Sex Thief||1973||There is also a hardcore version of this British film by Martin Campbell, although there is no suggestion that any of the credited cast did HC scenes.||English|
|I Tyrens tegn||1974||Second film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|Score||1974||American film by Radley Metzger, based on an off-Broadway play that included Sylvester Stallone. It features a scene of unsimulated fellatio between Calvin Culver and Gerald Grant.||English|
|The Girls of Kamare||1974||A Situationist film, directed by René Viénet contains hardcore footage inserted by Viénet himself.||Japanese|
|Sweet Movie||1974||This film by Dušan Makavejev contains some unsimulated sex acts.||English, French, Polish, Spanish|
|Flossie||1974||A 1974 Swedish erotic film, featuring an actress Marie Forså, exist in both original Swedish XXX version and edited R-rated version.||Swedish|
|Immoral Tales||1974||This film, directed by Walerian Borowczyk consists of four stories, titled La marée, Thérèse philosophe, Erszébet Báthory, and Lucrezia Borgia, respectively. In the third story, there is a close up scene of vaginal pearl insertion performed by an actress Marie Forså. The German Blu-ray edition of Immoral Tales contains a (pixelated) film clip from Borowczyk's A Private Collection that features an unsimulated bestiality between a woman and a dog.||French, Italian, Hungarian|
|Sexcula||1974||Filmed during the Golden Age of Porn, Sexcula is "the first fully Canadian film to work with Gothic horror elements and pay unabashed tribute to the Universal monster movie cycle". Quite explicit in its nature, it features mostly softcore scenes, including two hardcore sequences.||English|
|Countess Perverse||1974||Both the French theatrical version "Les croqueuses" and the Italian version (under the title "Sexy Nature") of this Jess Franco's film contain hardcore inserts.||French|
|Carnal Revenge||1974||A French VHS version of this film, directed by Alfredo Rizzo and titled Obsessions Charnelles contains hardcore scenes.||Italian|
|Keep It Up, Jack||1974||British sex comedy film directed by Derek Ford exists also in a version with hardcore inserts, however there is no suggestion that any of the credited cast did HC scenes.||English|
|The Hot Girls||1974||British film by John Lindsay has also hardcore export version; it is not clear if the credited cast performed in the extra HC sequences.||English|
|I Tvillingernes tegn||1975||Third film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|Der må være en sengekant||1975||Sixth film in the Danish Bedside-series of erotic mainstream-comedies, and one of the two to have hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|The Image||1975||This film by Radley Metzger, based on the novel L'Image by Catherine Robbe-Grillet, features many unsimulated sex scenes including S&M, fellatio and lesbian cunnilingus.||English, French|
|Butterflies||1975||This film directed by Joe Sarno contains real sex, but shot to avoid showing actual penetration and money shots. The reason for this is to focus on the reactions and intense chemistry between the performers. However, the hardcore version also exist.||English|
|Black Emanuelle||1975||This film, directed by Bitto Albertini exists in both softcore and hardcore versions. Hardcore scenes were performed by body doubles. In Italy, it was released on DVD by Stormovie with the fully uncut hardcore print.||Italian|
|Emanuelle e Françoise le sorelline||1975||A German version of this film directed by Joe D'Amato, and titled Die Lady Mit der Pussycat contains hardcore footage featuring Brigitte Lahaie.||Italian|
|The Hot Nights of Linda||1975||There are two different versions of this film directed by Jess Franco: softcore version and hardcore French version.||French|
|Female Vampire||1975||There are at least three different versions of this film by Jess Franco (also known as Erotic Kill): a horror-version, a "Soft"-erotic-version and a Hardcore-version, which is actually the "Soft"-version with four additional hardcore scenes and may be found on the German DVD by Laser Paradise.||French|
|L'Éventreur de Notre-Dame||1975||A film by Jess Franco exists in many different versions, including a version titled "Sexorcisme" with hardcore scenes.||French, Latin|
|Justine and Juliette||1975||A film directed by Mac Ahlberg contains hardcore scenes.||Swedish|
|The Bloodsucker Leads the Dance||1975||This film, directed by Alfredo Rizzo exists on DVD that contains two versions: the full uncut version and L’Insatiable Samantha - A french dubbed version which includes hardcore inserts not found in any other versions||Italian|
|Lips of Blood||1975||The director Jean Rollin shoot also "art-house"-hardcore version of this film which was released as Suce Moi Vampire.||French|
|Wham! Bam! Thank You, Spaceman!||1975||This film, directed by William A. Levey exists in both softcore and hardcore XXX version whereas the h/c scenes were performed by body doubles.||English|
|Breaking Point||1975||The third film directed by Swedish director Bo Arne Vibenius features relatively numerous sexual acts. However, in this film all scenes are non-simulated (performed by the actors) and yet the "exploitation/porn side" of the film is rather problematic for several reasons. This film begins with rape scene, has a linear plot and overall "psychological complexity" as well as interesting soundtrack. All that makes this film more artistic then his previous and more known film Thriller – A Cruel Picture which, with its hardcore inserts belongs more to exploitation genre.||English|
|Rolls-Royce Baby||1975||A film directed by Erwin C. Dietrich. "The film stops short of hardcore, but not far short, with explicit masturbation and fellatio scenes often showing up".||German|
|Girls Come First||1975||There is also a version of this British film, directed by Joseph McGrath with extra hardcore sequences, but it is not clear if any of the credited cast was involved in it.||English|
|The Sexplorer||1975||British Sex comedy film by Derek Ford has also a version with HC inserts for foreign markets.||English|
|Barbed Wire Dolls||1976||This film by Jess Franco in its uncut version contains explicit scene of digital penetration which had to be removed from the UK DVD version by Anchor Bay in order to achieve an 18 classification.||French|
|Emanuelle in Bangkok||1976||Directed by Joe D'Amato this film, in its uncut Italian DVD version, contains a hardcore shots of vaginal penetration by ping pong balls.||Italian|
|Alice in Wonderland||1976||American film produced by William Osco and reviewed favorably by Roger Ebert.||English|
|Sømænd på sengekanten||1976||Eighth and final film in the Danish Bedside-series of erotic mainstream-comedies, and one of the two to have hardcore scenes, including extensive clips from the short Color Climax #1283: Mail Order Sex (1973), watched on 8mm by the ship's crew.||Danish|
|The Opening of Misty Beethoven||1976||American film by Radley Metzger, based on the play Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw (and its derivative, My Fair Lady) and considered, by award-winning author Toni Bentley, the "crown jewel" of the Golden Age of Porn.||English|
|I Løvens tegn||1976||Fourth film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|In the Realm of the Senses||1976||This film has many experimental and avant-garde elements features hardcore sex scenes, showing genitals of actors. Based on a true story of a Japanese prostitute, features fellatio and other non-simulated sexual acts.||Japanese|
|Through the Looking Glass||1976||This film by Jonas Middleton with many experimental and avant-garde elements features hardcore sex scenes, including fellatio.||English|
|A Real Young Girl||1976||This film is Catherine Breillat's first feature film, shot in 1975, but banned for the next 25 years, mostly due to hardcore nature of its content. Some controversial scenes show: full frontal vagina, bodily fluids, urination and masturbation.||French|
|Die Marquise von Sade||1976||This film by Jess Franco contains some hardcore scenes.||German|
|Girls in the Night Traffic||1976||Girls in the Night Traffic is the title of the softcore version, while Wild Lust is the title of the hardcore version of this Jess Franco's film.||German|
|The French Governess||1976||A film, directed by Demofilo Fidani exists in at least three versions: the erotic drama under the title Calde labbra, the hardcore version under the title Burning Lips and the Italian DVD of "Cine Sexy" which is a mixture of previous two versions.||Italian|
|Inhibitions||1976||There are both softcore and hardcore versions of this erotic film by Paolo Poeti: The Hardcore version contains a close-up scene of female masturbation.||Italian|
|Sex Express||1976||Also known as Diversions, this British film directed by Derek Ford is also available in hardcore "export" version.||English|
|Keep It Up Downstairs||1976||This British film by Robert Young also exists in a version with hardcore inserts that involved body doubles for the main stars.||English|
|Secrets of a Superstud||1976||Directed by Morton L Lewis and Alan Selwyn, this British film was also shoot in hardcore export version, entitled It's Getting Harder All the Time.||English|
|The Office Party||1976||British film , directed by David Grant has also a hardcore export version.||English|
|Femmes de Sade||1976||This film, directed by Alex de Renzy belongs to a violent genre in the Golden Age era. It presents violence as violence, that virtually has nothing or little to do with sexual pleasure. This film contains some of the most explicit, graphic and overtly violent hardcore rape scene in the history of the era. Because of such brutality in presentation of rape scenes, the film opened the serious and complex questions of pornographic violence in Golden-Age. Femmes the Sade is, in general a rape and revenge film. The "revenge part" is also very bizarre with scenes of defecation and urination.||English|
|L'Ange et la Femme||1977||This film by Gilles Carle contains some explicitly unsimulated sexual activity between its stars.||French, English|
|Agent 69 Jensen i Skorpionens tegn||1977||Fifth film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|Barbara Broadcast||1977||American film by Radley Metzger released during the Golden Age of Porn features several scenes of unsimulated sex - some scenes present a surrealistic "Buñellian" atmosphere, according to one film reviewer.||English|
|Nazi Love Camp 27||1977||This film by Mario Caiano features actual penetration.||Italian|
|Emanuelle in America||1977||A film by Joe D'Amato exists in both softcore and hardcore versions.||Italian|
|Emanuelle Around the World||1977||The hardcore European version of this film by Joe D'Amato, prepared for the French market contains penetration, oral sex, and the bestiality scenes with the snake and the dog.||Italian|
|Sister Emanuelle||1977||There is also the Danish DVD version of this film by Giuseppe Vari with hardcore sex scenes.|
|Under the Bed||1977||British film, directed by David Grant exists in a version with HC footage.||English|
|Come Play with Me||1977||This British film by Harrison Marks is considered by many as the most successful of the British sex comedies of the seventies. It is essentially the softcore film that contains four scenes which originally had been shot as a hardcore, but then all explicit shoots were cut from these scenes in the pre-release stage. So, the film actually contains real sex just without hardcore shoots.|
|The Mark||1977||Greek film, directed by Ilias Mylonakos exists in many versions, including a French hardcore version under the title Call Girl.||English|
|The Ceremony||1977||A film (also known as Erotiki Teleti) directed by the prolific Greek director Omiros Efstratiadis exists in many versions, including the hardcore ones. There exists a rather bad VHS copy of the full uncut hardcore version under the title Itan kapote parthenes.||Greek|
|Monsieur Sade||1977||A film, directed by Jacques Robin opens with one "truly pornographic scene", while the rest of the footage is mostly simulated.||French|
|Le calde notti di Caligola||1977||Erotic comedy film about Caligula (also known as The Caligula's Hot Nights), directed by Roberto Bianchi Montero; shot in two versions, whereby one of which was prepared for foreign market and contains hardcore scenes, including one penetration and several fellatio scenes.||Italian|
|Agent 69 Jensen i Skyttens tegn||1978||Sixth and final film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|Behind Convent Walls||1978||The uncut version of this film by Walerian Borowczyk features hardcore scene of female masturbation by a wooden dildo.||Italian|
|Blue Movie||1978||This film, directed by Alberto Cavallone, also exists in uncut 8mm version with hardcore material that includes fellatio and intercourse scenes.||Italian|
|Sister of Ursula||1978||An Italian giallo film from director Enzo Milioni. Despite of nudity and a number of lengthy sex scenes, this film didn't sacrify its plot and logic for sex, (although there are also the opposite opinions). Instead, it manages to work these elements into an impressively well written plot. Sister of Ursula exists in both uncut softcore version and hardcore version that was later created by the producer using HC inserts. The existence of the HC version was also confirmed by director Milioni himself.||Italian|
|The Coming of Sin||1978||There are at least two versions of this film, directed by José Ramón Larraz: Sex Maniac and an Italian PAL VHS version Sodomia that contain hardcore inserts.||Spanish|
|Pleasure Shop on the Avenue||1978||Erotic triller film (also known as Il porno shop della settima strada), directed by Joe D'Amato was originally shoot as a softcore, and then at the request of the producers, some hardcore footage was added. The full hardcore version of the film can be found on the Italian DVD by Cinesexy, released in 2015.||Italian|
|You're Driving Me Crazy||1978||There is a hardcore version of this film by David Grant, but it is not clear if any of the cast participated in the HC inserts.||English|
|Immoral Women||1979||This film, directed by Walerian Borowczyk consists of three stories titled Margherita, Marceline, and Marie, respectively. In the first story, Margherita, there is an unsimulated intercourse scene.||French, Italian|
|Caligula||1979||Uncut version of this film includes several authentic sex scenes, including penetration, fellatio and ejaculation during the six minutes worth of inserts shot by the film's producer, Bob Guccione. The sex shot by Tinto Brass in the rest of the movie, although very explicit, was simulated.||English|
|Images in a Convent||1979||This film by Joe D'Amato contains many explicit sex scenes including hardcore sex in the rape scene.||Italian|
|Play Motel||1979||A film directed by Mario Gariazzo. Blu-ray A America - Raro Video contains approximately 7 minutes of extra hardcore footage.||Italian|
|Giallo a Venezia||1979||A Brazilian VHS version of this film, directed by Mario Landi under the title Pesadelo em Veneza contains "XXX" scenes.||Italian|
|The Malicious Whore||1979||A horror film, directed by Andrea Bianchi features hardcore scenes.||Italian|
|Erotic Nights of the Living Dead||1980||This Joe D'Amato's film exists in two versions: explicit version with hardcore scenes (Hardcore Version) and a rated general release that removes all the hardcore scenes (Original Version).||Italian|
|Hotel Paradise||1980||Both of softcore and hardcore versions of this film, directed by Edoardo Mulargia can be found on the Danish DVD by Another World Entertainment.||Italian|
|Sex and Black Magic||1980||This, mostly softcore film by Joe D'Amato shows one brief hardcore insert.||Italian|
|Hard Sensation||1980||A film by Joe D'Amato belongs to a rape and revenge genre and contains hardcore scenes.||Italian|
|Exotic Malice||1980||Both American DVD by One 7 Movies and German DVD by X-Rated Kult Video contain hardcore version of this film, directed by Joe D'Amato (also known under the title Sesso Nero).||Italian|
|Bare Behind Bars||1980||A film by Oswaldo de Oliveira, features explicit sex scenes (mostly lesbian), and at least one hardcore hetero-sexual scene.||Portuguese|
|Beast in Space||1980||There is also a hardcore version of this film by Alfonso Brescia.||Italian|
|Cruising||1980||Director William Friedkin spliced in single frames of gay anal intercourse during at least one scene. Partially obscured sex acts, including fellatio and fisting.||English|
|Taxi zum Klo||1980||A film directed by Frank Ripploh features hardcore gay sex scenes.||German, English, French|
|Spetters||1980||This film directed by Paul Verhoeven features explicit hardcore sex scenes, including oral sex.||Dutch|
|Sweet Hot Lisa||1980||This is a literal translation of an Italian film Dolce… calda Lisa from 1980, written and directed by Adriano Tagliavia, credited as Adriano Cesari. It contains hardcore fellatio scene.||Italian|
|Fruits of Passion||1981||This film by Shūji Terayama contains unsimulated fellatio.||Cantonese, Japanese, English, French|
|Emmanuelle in Soho||1981||British film, directed by David Hughes is also available in a hardcore version with different performers, two female and one male.||English|
|Porno Holocaust||1981||In his book, assistant professor Danny Shipka of Louisiana State University gave both Porno Holocaust and Erotic Nights of the Living Dead negative reviews, criticizing the acting, gore, and sex scenes, and concluding that the merging of "hardcore sex and extreme violence is disturbing".||Italian|
|Caligula 2 - The Untold Story||1982||The uncut European version of this film, directed by Joe D'Amato, features penetration, ejaculation and fellato in an orgy scene.||Italian|
|Scandale||1982||This film by George Mihalka contains both softcore and hardcore sex scenes.||French|
|Apocalipsis Sexual||1982||A film by Carlos Aured exists in both softcore (Spanish DVD) and hardcore (Italian VHS) versions.||Spanish|
|Aphrodite||1982||A film directed by Robert Fuest; it contains mostly simulated scenes and unsimulated scene that shows insertion of big toe in the vagina.||French|
|Satan's Baby Doll||1982||A hardcore version of this film by Mario Bianchi features scenes of fellatio and intercourse, performed by the actual actors in the movie - not by the body doubles which was the common practice at the time.||Italian|
|Il nano erotico||1982||A film directed by Alberto Cavallone, exists in two version: the softcore version titled Being Captured and HC version titled Baby Sitter (this version has no credits).||Italian|
|A Menina e o Estuprador||1982||Literally translated as The Girl and the Rapist, this Brazilian film, written and directed by Conrado Sanchez, contains a hardcore fellatio scene.||Portuguese|
|My Nights with Messalina||1982||Originally entitled Bacanales Romanas, this Spanish comedy film, directed by Jaime J. Puig, in its uncut version contains a hardcore clip with scenes of fellatio and penetration.||Spanish|
|Luz del Fuego||1982||This Brazilian film, directed by David Neves tells the liberal and romantic story about the controversial Brazilian vedette Luz del Fuego. Film contains a scene in which the main actress rubbing up against the penis.||Portuguese|
|Perdida em Sodoma||1982||This Brazilian film, usually translated as Lost Girl in Sodom, written and directed by Nilton Nascimento contains a several hardcore scenes of fellatio and penetration.||Portuguese|
|Killing of the Flesh||1983||This giallo film, directed by Cesare Canevari exists in both softcore and hardcore versions.||Italian|
|Taking Tiger Mountain||1983||A film by Tom Huckabee and Kent Smith, with Bill Paxton in the main role, contains several graphic scenes, including a brief hardcore shoot of fellatio.||English|
|Emmanuelle 4||1984||This film, directed by Francis Leroi and Iris Letans exists in at least two versions.The Canadian VHS contains 3 hardcore scenes, including oral sex and intercourse.||French|
|The Alcove||1985||Film by Joe D'Amato contains some real sex scenes.||Italian|
|James Joyce's Women||1985||This film, directed by Michael Pearce, is based on James Joyce's Ulysses and shows about twenty minutes of real, on camera masturbation by Fionnula Flanagan, the main actress.||English|
|Devil in the Flesh||1986||Features a short scene of fellatio, during which the man tells the woman about Lenin's return to St. Petersburg in 1917.||Italian|
|Emmanuelle 5||1987||This film, directed by Walerian Borowczyk, exists in at least three versions. A hardcore version was only released in France on VHS and contains scenes of intercourse, oral sex, masturbation and urination.||French, English|
|Emmanuelle 6||1988||A hardcore edit on VHS was released in France, making this version about 10 minutes longer than US DVD version.||French|
|Hotel St. Pauli||1988||This film by Svend Wam shows unsimulated oral sex.||Norwegian, Swedish|
|Kindergarten||1989||This Argentinian film, directed by Jorge Polaco was banned for 20 years (in Argentina) due to nude content involving minors, as well as because of a brief hardcore shoot of hetero-sexual fellatio.||Spanish|
|Kinski Paganini||1989||Klaus Kinski's directorial debut. According to one reviewer: "[...] it is really extremely bizarre, in moments brutal and almost experimental film with plenty of softcore and hardcore scenes [...]"||Italian|
|トパーズ (Also known as: Tokyo Decadence and Topāzu)||1992||This film by Ryu Murakami about prostitution in Japan contains sexually explicit and graphic scenes, including explicit use of a vibrator and strap-on, as well as a urination scene. However, "Murakami didn't make this film to tickle people's libidos; he wanted to bring out the potential ugliness that can come through sex."||Japanese, English|
|The Soft Kill||1994||The DVD version of this film, directed by Eli Cohen, features penetration.||English|
|La Vie de Jésus (English title: The Life of Jesus)||1997||"In Life of Jesus, Dumont included extreme close-ups of penetration to emphasize the animal nature of the sex act."||French|
|Idioterne (English title: The Idiots)||1998||This film by Lars von Trier features extremely brief penetration and group sex.||Danish|
|Fiona||1998||This film directed by Amos Kollek features a brief oral sex scene.||English|
|Seul contre tous (English title: I Stand Alone)||1998||The film is Gaspar Noé's first feature-length production and features several actual sex scenes.||French|
|Jezus is een Palestijn (English title: Jesus is a Palestinian)||1999||Director Lodewijk Crijns: "From the beginning I swore that there would be a visual penetration in my film. [...] Eventually that scene made it into the film and also in a way which I think is very surprising."||Dutch|
|Romance||1999||Directed by Catherine Breillat, features male and female masturbation, fellatio, penetration, ejaculation, and sadomasochistic bondage.||French|
|Pola X||1999||"Pola X gained infamy world wide for its unsimulated sex acts between Guillaume Depardieu (Pierre) and Yekaterina Golubeva (Isabelle). Although body stand-ins were used for the most explicit parts."||French|
|La donna lupo (English title: The Man-Eater)||1999||Film by Aurelio Grimaldi contains a scene of actual fellatio.||Italian|
|Guardami||1999||Based on the life of Italian porn actress Moana Pozzi, this film directed by Davide Ferrario shows real oral sex.||Italian|
|Vampire Strangler||1999||A film by William Hellfire shows real fellatio by an actress Erin Brown.||English|
|Giulia (English title: Julia)||1999||This film by Roy Stuart shows scenes of fellatio, cunnilingus and intercourse performed by actress Anna Bielska.||French|
|Humanité||1999||A film by Bruno Dumont contains sex and nudity, including three hardcore scenes.||French, English|
|Baise-moi||2000||Several actual sex scenes, including penetration and fellatio.||French|
|Scrapbook||2000||This film by Eric Stanze includes non-penetrative sex acts and an actor urinating on an actress.||English|
|Scarlet Diva||2000||A semi-autobiographical film about Italian actress and director Asia Argento's life as an actress, it contains many non-simulated sex scenes according to Argento herself.||English, Italian, French|
|Le Pornographe (English title: The Pornographer)||2001||This film by Bertrand Bonello shows many hardcore sex scenes, including penetration.||French|
|Lucía y el sexo (English title: Sex and Lucia)||2001||This film by Julio Medem contains several real sex scenes, including penetration and fellatio from the porn movie made by one of the film's characters as well as manual stimulation of an erect penis and cunnilingus performed by and on another film's character.||Spanish, English|
|Hundstage (English title: Dog Days)||2001||The first fictional feature film by director Ulrich Seidl contains a hardcore orgy scene.||German|
|The Center of the World||2001||A film by Wayne Wang contains "the graphic sex of Triple-X videos".||English|
|La novia de Lázaro (English title: Lazaro’s Girlfriend)||2002||This film by Fernando Merinero features about a minute-long scene of explicit fellatio.||Spanish|
|Le loup de la côte Ouest (English title: The Wolf of the West Coast)||2002||A Hugo Santiago film with recognizable stars James Faulkner and Anna Mouglalis features unsimulated sex scenes.||French, English|
|Sud sanaeha (English title: Blissfully Yours)||2002||This film, directed by Apichatpong Weerasethakul, contains a scene of explicit fellatio.||Thai|
|Choses secrètes (English title: Secret Things)||2002||A Jean-Claude Brisseau film about female sexuality that shows many explicit sex scenes, including public masturbation by a female character and a hardcore orgy scene. The first film of a trilogy.||French|
|Ken Park||2002||Directed by Larry Clark, this film shows both simulated and unsimulated sex scenes, such as a male masturbation and ejaculation scene.||English|
|The Brown Bunny||2003||This film by Vincent Gallo features a scene of fellatio.||English|
|Fallo! (English title: Do It! or Private)||2003||Film directed by Tinto Brass contains real fellatio.||Italian, French, English, Spanish|
|Rossa Venezia||2003||This film by Andreas Bethmann features many hardcore sex scenes, mostly lesbian.||German|
|The Principles of Lust||2003||Film by Penny Woolcock shows an orgy scene with several unsimulated sex acts, including oral sex.||English|
|Anatomie de l'enfer (English title: Anatomy of Hell)||2004||By director Catherine Breillat, it features "actual sex, high-level sex scenes and high-level themes" according to the Australian Classification Review Board.||French|
|9 Songs||2004||Several non-simulated sex scenes, including penetration, fellatio, cunnilingus and ejaculation.||English|
|Story of the Eye||2004||Based on the novel Story of the Eye by Georges Bataille, this film, directed by Andrew Repasky McElhinney contains many hardcore sex scenes.||English|
|Kärlekens språk 2000||2004||A Swedish sex educational film directed by Anders Lennberg shows many unsimulated sex scenes.||Swedish|
|All About Anna||2005||A film directed by Jessica Nilsson, featuring intercourse performed both by Eileen Daly and Gry Bay and male actors, fellatio with ejaculation performed by Eileen Daly on Mark Stevens, cunnilingus performed by Ovidie on Gry Bay.||Danish|
|8mm 2||2005||A film directed by J. S. Cardone, featuring various erotic scenes that include complete nudity, group sex, female masturbation, oral stimulation, authentic pornography frames, and lesbian cunnilingus.||English|
|Kissing on the Mouth||2005||Film by Joe Swanberg contains a real scene of masturbation with ejaculation.||English|
|天邊一朵雲 (English title: The Wayward Cloud)||2005||This film directed by Tsai Ming-liang features fellatio and penetration.||Mandarin|
|Princesas||2005||This film by Fernando León de Aranoa contains a scene of explicit fellatio.||Spanish|
|Lie with Me||2005||A film by Clement Virgo, based on the novel of the same title, contains "medium-to-hardcore sex".||English, Spanish|
|Shortbus||2006||Several actors perform real sexual acts including explicit masturbation, autofellatio, coitus, and heterosexual and homosexual fellatio.||English|
|Taxidermia||2006||This film, directed by György Pálfi features actual penetration.||Hungarian, English, Russian|
|Les Anges Exterminateurs||2006||The second Jean-Claude Brisseau film that explores female sexuality. It shows unsimulated female masturbation.||French|
|Auftauchen (Also known as Amour fou)||2006||Felicitas Korn's feature film debut shows several authentic sex scenes.||German|
|It Is Fine! Everything Is Fine.||2007||This film directed by David Brothers and Crispin Glover contains actual penetration.||English|
|L'histoire de Richard O. (English title: The Story of Richard O.)||2007||This film by Damien Odoul shows numerous real sex scenes.||French, Finnish|
|Import/Export||2007||The second fictional feature film by Ulrich Seidl contains several authentic sex scenes, including female masturbation and anal fingering. The authenticity of the fellatio scene is debatable.||German, Slovak, Russian, English|
|El Búfalo de la noche (English title: The Night Buffalo)||2007||This film by Jorge Hernandez Aldana contains an explicit fellatio scene.||Spanish|
|Serbis (English title: Service)||2008||Directed by Brillante Mendoza, it shows explicit fellatio.||Filipino, Tagalog|
|Tropical Manila||2008||This film, directed by Sang-woo Lee, contain several explicit sex acts, including real fellatio.||Filipino, Korean|
|À l'aventure||2008||The third film by Jean-Claude Brisseau about female sexuality contains many explicit sex scenes, including authentic female masturbation and orgasm.||French|
|Amateur Porn Star Killer 2||2008||This film by Shane Ryan includes explicit scenes of penetration and oral sex. The second film of a trilogy.||English|
|Antichrist||2009||This film by Lars von Trier features a scene of penetrative vaginal intercourse, and also includes graphically violent sexual imagery. Body doubles were used to make the film.||English|
|Enter the Void||2009||This film, directed by Gaspar Noé contains some unsimulated sexual activity.||English, Japanese|
|The Band||2009||This film directed by Anna Brownfield features numerous sequences of unsimulated sex.||English|
|Dogtooth||2009||A film by Giorgos Lanthimos. "The brief real sex is used to establish the unusual and dysfunctional lifestyle that results from the isolation orchestrated by the dictatorial father, including incest."||Greek|
|Now & Later||2009||The film contains an unsimulated oral scene and a simulated sex scene.||English|
|Bedways||2010||This film by Rolf Peter Kahl shows real sex scenes, including a three-minute-long scene of masturbation.||German|
|The Bunny Game||2010||This film directed by Adam Rehmeier contains an explicit scene of fellatio.||English|
|Killer Bitch||2010||Controversial in many aspects, this film by Liam Galvin contains real sex scenes according to executive producer John Fleming.||English|
|Año bisiesto (English title: Leap Year)||2010||Film by Michael Rowe features unsimulated sex scenes.||Spanish|
|Gandu||2010||An Indian film, directed by Qaushiq Mukherjee, that contains actual sex scenes.||Bengali|
|LelleBelle||2010||This film by Mischa Kamp contain the images of unsimulated penetration.||Dutch|
|Q (English title: Desire)||2011||A 2011 French film, directed by Laurent Bouhnik, which features several graphic unsimulated depictions of sex.||French|
|Hotel Desire||2011||This short film directed by Sergej Moya contains an unsimulated sex scene between the actors Saralisa Volm and Clemens Schick.||German|
|愛很爛 (English title: Love Actually... Sucks!)||2011||A Hong Kong film, directed by Scud, features fellatio.||Mandarin, Cantonese, English|
|Caged||2011||A 2011 Dutch film directed by Stephan Brenninkmeijer, it contains several explicit hardcore sex scenes.||Dutch|
|Léa||2011||This film, directed by Bruno Rolland, contains an unsimulated scene of cunniligus.||French|
|Starlet||2012||This film by Sean S. Baker contains a scene of penetration.||English|
|Marfa Girl||2012||A film by Larry Clark with content similar to his cult film Ken Park.||English|
|Nymphomaniac||2013||A two-part drama by Lars von Trier, the third of his loose "Depression" trilogy. To produce scenes of simulated sex, von Trier used digital compositing to superimpose the genitals of pornographic film actors onto the bodies of the film's actors. Producer Louise Vesth explained during the Cannes Film Festival: "We shot the actors pretending to have sex and then had the body doubles, who really did have sex, and in post we will digital impose the two. So above the waist it will be the star and the (sic) below the waist it will be the doubles." Gainsbourg and Martin further revealed that prosthetic vaginas and closed sets were used during filming.||English|
|Gay Meets Girl||2013||The film is a documentary about Tim den Besten, a gold-star gay man (a gay man who has never slept with a woman) who is curious about exploring the boundaries of his sexuality and wants to find out if he really is completely gay or not. At the suggestion of his gay male friend Nicolaas, Tim decides to have sex with a woman while Nicolaas films the sexual encounter. During Tim's first heterosexual sexual encounter, the gay man engages in unsimulated heterosexual (penis-in-vagina) intercourse on film. The couple exchange unsimulated heterosexual oral sex; the woman performs heterosexual fellatio on Tim and Tim performs cunnilingus on the woman.||Dutch|
|Pornopung||2013||A 2013 Norwegian film, directed by Johan Kaos, that features a scene of explicit fellatio.||Norwegian|
|Stranger by the Lake||2013||Directed by Alain Guiraudie, Stranger by the Lake contains scenes of unsimulated sex that were shot using body doubles.||French|
|Wetlands||2013||Film by David Wnendt contains a real scene of masturbation and ejaculation by several men on twenty pizzas. Hired porn stars were used for shooting the scene.||German|
|Pasolini||2014||A film by Abel Ferrara, about the final day in the life of Pier Paolo Pasolini, shows several actual sex scenes, including fellatio.||English, Italian, French|
|Love||2015||This film by Gaspar Noé features scenes of unsimulated sexual activity and is notable as being a 3-D release.||English|
|Paris 05:59: Théo & Hugo||2016||The film opens with an 18-minute unsimulated gay orgy scene at a Paris sex club.||French|
Pornography films re-edited for mainstream release
Prior to the advent of home video, a number of hardcore pornography films were released to mainstream cinemas. In most cases, scenes of penetration were either cut out or replaced with alternate shots. One exception to this was Deep Throat, which was released uncensored.
Examples of this type of hybrid release include Alice in Wonderland (1976), shot as X-rated, but first released as an R-rated version—afterwards, the uncut version was released; Café Flesh (1982)—the R-rated version of this science fiction porn film was released to mainstream cinemas; Stocks and Blondes (1984), originally available as Wanda Whips Wall Street; and Droid (1988), originally released as Cabaret Sin in 1987.
- Dirks, Tim. "History of Sex in Cinema: The Greatest and Most Influential Sexual Films and Scenes". Filmsite.org. American Movie Classic Company. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Corliss, Richard (29 March 2005). "That Old Feeling: When Porno Was Chic". TIME. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Hohendal, Kristin (1 July 2001). "Film Goes All the Way (In the Name of Art)". New York Times. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Gerrard, Nicci (3 October 1999). "Coming soon to a cinema near you". Thihe Observer. London. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
Catherine Breillat's controversial French film, Romance, has just been given an 18 certificate by the British Board of Film Classification. It will be granted the respectability of mainstream cinemas round the country. It has been passed because it is 'philosophical', not pornographic. It is about sexual relationships, not an aid to sexual gratification.
- Jensen, Michael (November 2006). "Legitimizing Illegitimacy: Identity Spaces and Markets for Illegitamate Products" (PDF). Organizations & Markets Workshop. Chicago Booth.
- "Explicit Euro-sex test for British censors". The Guardian. London. 22 February 1999. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Wilmington, Michael (27 August 2001). "Graphic Sex Scenes on Film Causing Little Fuss--for Now". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Dalton, Stephen (7 October 2006). "Sealed with a Glasgow kiss". The Times. London. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- A Film Review by James Berardinelli.
- Ebbe Villadsen: Danish Erotic Film Classics (2005).
- Canby, Vincent (22 July 1969). "Movie Review - Blue Movie (1968) Screen: Andy Warhol's 'Blue Movie'". New York Times. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Canby, Vincent (10 August 1969). "Warhol's Red Hot and 'Blue' Movie. D1. Print. (behind paywall)". New York Times. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Comenas, Gary (2005). "Blue Movie (1968)". WarholStars.org. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Comenas, Gary (1969). "21 July 1969: Andy Warhol's Blue Movie Opens". WarholStars.org. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Haggerty, George E. (2015). A Companion to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Studies. John Wiley & Sons. p. 339. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- 99 Women AKA 99 Mujeres AKA Island of Despair AKA Isle of Lost Women AKA Les Brulantes. dvdcompare.net
- 99 Women . 10kbullets.com
- Lucas, Tim. Blood and Black Lace DVD, Image Entertainment, 2005. ASIN: B000BB1926
- Double Face. latarnia.com
- Adam Tyner. Quiet Days in Clichy (Blu-ray). dvdtalk.com. 25 January 2011.
- Sheridan, Simon (2011). Keeping the British End Up: Four Decades of Saucy Cinema. United Kingdom: Titan Books Ltd. ISBN 0857682792. Retrieved April 1, 2017.
- Lentz, Harris (2014). Obituaries in the Performing Arts, 2013. United States: McFarland & Company. p. 314. ISBN 978-0-7864-7665-7. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- Bacchanale. The Worldwide Celluloid Massacre
- Lentz, Harris (2016). Obituaries in the Performing Arts, 2015. United States: McFarland & Company. p. 274. ISBN 978-0-7864-7667-1. Retrieved Jun 18, 2017.
- Andrew Hershberger. Cry Uncle!. efilmcritic.com. 25 February 2001.
- Après-ski. Reeling Back
- Curti, Roberto (2013). Italian Crime Filmography, 1968–1980. United States: McFarland & Company. p. 295. ISBN 0786469765. Retrieved February 27, 2017.
- Lizard in a Woman's Skin. action-cut.com (French)
- Le Venin de la Peur. ohmygore.com (French)
- Luminous Procuress. The Worldwide Celluloid Massacre
- Secret Rites. cinemawasteland.com
- W.R. - Mysteries of the Organism. History of Sex in Cinema (illustrated)-1971.
- 1997: Why PINK FLAMINGOS was banned. Censorship in Australia.
- Terza ipotesi su un caso di perfetta strategia criminale. ilmiovizioeunastanzachiusa.wordpress.com (Italian)
- SO SWEET, SO DEAD. sffworld.com
- Red Headed Corpse (xxx version). zddvm.com
- Delirio caldo. Italo-Cinema.de
- Kurly Tlapoyawa. Thriller: A Cruel Picture. alibi.com.
- Carroll Jenkins. Thriller: They Call Her One Eye (Vengeance Edition). 10,000 Bullets. 11 June 2014
- Stuart Willis. A Scream In The Streets. Sex Gore Mutants.
- Ebert, Roger (13 June 1973). "The Devil In Miss Jones - Film Review". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- The Obscene Mirror. dvdcompare.net
- Le Journal intime d'une nymphomane. mrqe.com
- A Virgin Among the Living Dead. moria.co.nz
- Sinful Dwarf (The) AKA Dværgen AKA Teenage Bride (Blu-ray). dvdcompare.net
- Comparison: R-Rated/Unrated. movie-censorship.com
- Anita. scoopy.com
- Björklund, Elisabet (2016). Swedish Cinema and the Sexual Revolution. United States: McFarland & Company. p. 222. ISBN 978-1-4766-6544-3. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- Forced Entry. dvdtalk.com
- Demoniacs. dvdcompare.net
- Tender and Perverse Emanuelle. refused-classification.com
- Gallagher, Steve (Summer 1997), "The Libertine", Filmmaker Magazine, retrieved May 24, 2015
- Bentley, Toni (June 2014). "The Legend of Henry Paris". Playboy. Retrieved January 26, 2016.
- Bentley, Toni (June 2014). "The Legend of Henry Paris" (PDF). ToniBentley.com. Retrieved January 26, 2016.
- Movie Rip-Offs: A User’s Guide – Détournement and Dub Parodies: Les Filles de Kamare (The Girls of Kamare). Physical Impossibility.
- Brendan Babish. Sweet Movie. DVDVerdict. 2 July 2007.
- Flossie. Adams Underground
- Endnotes no. 26. Senses of Cinema
- Immoral Tales (Contes immoraux). The Digital Fix
- Sexcula. Canuxploitation.com
- Countess Perverse AKA Le comtesse perverse AKA The Perverse Countess. dvdcompare.net
- Obsessions Charnelles. bis.cinemaland.net (French)
- Atanasov, Dr. Svet (11 June 2011). "The Image Blu-ray Review". www.blu-ray.com. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Baby Tramp.
- THE GIRL MEETS GIRL COLLECTION: VAMPIRE ECSTASY (1973)/GIRL MEETS GIRL (1974)/BUTTERFLIES (1975).
- Black Emanuelle (1975).
- Black Emanuelle/Review.
- Emanuelle e Francoise le sorelline.
- Synopsis by Robert Firsching.
- Hot Nights of Linda (The) AKA Les nuits brûlantes de Linda AKA But Who Raped Linda? (Blu-ray). dvdcompare.net
- Comparison: US DVD/German Laser Paradise DVD. movie-censorship.com
- Comparison: Softcore Version/Hardcore Version. movie-censorship.com
- Exorcism AKA L'Éventreur de Notre-Dame AKA Demoniac AKA The Ripper of Notre Dame. dvdcompare.net
- JUSTINE & JULIETTE. dvddrive-in.com
- Bloodsucker Leads The Dance (2 Versions), The. zddvm.com
- Lips of Blood. Midnight Only
- Wham Bam Thank You Spaceman. Horror Cult Films
- Breaking Point. Iken Eiga [Zé do Clermont] (French)
- Rolls-Royce Baby. Girls, Guns and Ghouls
- A Fellatio Scene from the Film. i.imgur.com
- Barbed Wire Dolls AKA Frauengefängnis AKA Caged Women AKA Women's Penitentiary IV. dvdcompare.net
- Comparison: BBFC 18 DVD/Italian DVD.
- Ebert, Roger (24 November 1976). "Alice in Wonderland:An X-Rated Musical Fantasy". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- Maass, Dave (28 February 2008). "Real Sex in Unreal Films: Penetrating movies that aren't pornos". Film.com. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- Kehr, Dave (24 April 2009). "Nagisa Oshima's Realm of Restraint and Precision". New York Times. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- Through the Looking Glass. Beardy Freak [42ndStreetFreak]
- A REAL YOUNG GIRL. filmjournal.com
- Review: ‘A Real Young Lady’. Variety.com
- A Real Young Girl (1976, Fr.) (aka Une Vraie Jeune Fille). History of Sex in Cinema
- ‘Die Marquise von Sade’ Blu-ray Review (Ascot Elite). nerdly.co.uk
- Jess Franco’s Girls In The Night Traffic. tombitmayconcern.wordpress.com
- Girls in the Night Traffic . dvdcanfly.com
- Calde labbra. italo-cinema.de (German)
- Comparison: Softcore/Hardcore. movie-censorship.com
- Purcell, Natalie (2012). Violence and the Pornographic Imaginary: The Politics of Sex, Gender, and Aggression in Hardcore Pornography. United Kingdom: Routledge. pp. 49–55. ISBN 0415523125. Retrieved August 24, 2017.
- Purcell, Natalie (2012). Violence and the Pornographic Imaginary: The Politics of Sex, Gender, and Aggression in Hardcore Pornography. United Kingdom: Routledge. pp. 49–55. ISBN 0415523125. Retrieved August 24, 2017.
- Tom Newth. The Imaginary Documentaries of Montreal Filmmakers Frank Vitale, Allan Moyle, and Stephen Lack. popOptiq. 20 February 2015
- Staff (27 August 2013). "Barbara Broadcast - BluRay DVD Review". Mondo-digital.com. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- Nazi Love Camp 27. 19 April 2009
- Comparation: Softcore Version/Hardcore Version.
- Emanuelle Around the World: XXX European Cut (1977).
- Comparison: US DVD/Danish DVD.
- Sheridan, Simon (1999). Come Play With Me: The Life and Films Of Mary Millington. United Kingdom: FAB Press. ISBN 0952926075. Retrieved April 6, 2017.
- The Mark. csfd.cz (in Czech)
- The Ceremony. Movie House Commentary
- Monsieur Sades. nanarland.com
- Le calde notti di Caligola. Maniaco Deprebis
- Behind Convent Walls. D V D B e a v e r
- Behind Convent Walls (1978, It.) (aka Interno di un Convento, or Interieur d'un Couvent). The History of Sex in Cinema
- Comparison: US DVD/Extended Version. movie-censorship.com
- Sister of Ursula. Mondo Esoterica
- Sister of Ursula (The) AKA La Sorella di Ursula. dvdcompare.net
- The Coming of Sin. mondo-digital.com
- Il porno shop della settima strada. allthatdigital.it (Italian)
- Walerian Borowczyk's Heroines of Desire. Senses of Cinema
- Caligula: A Film Review by David Carter.
- Stuart Galbraith IV. Reviews: Images in a Convent. Media Blasters. 14 June 2005
- Giallo a Venezia - XXX Version. dvdcompare.net
- Giallo a Venezia - XXX Version. kultvideo.com
- Film Review: Malabimba. horrornews.net
- Erotic Nights of the Living Dead. 10kbullets
- Comparison: Original Version/Hardcore Version Movie - Censorship.com
- Comparison: Softcore Version/Hardcore Version. Movie - Censorship.com
- Orgasmo Nero. Film Critics United
- Hard Sensation. italo-cinema.de (German)
- Sesso nero AKA Orgasmo Nero III AKA Black Sex AKA Exotic Malice. dvdcompare.net
- Bare Behind Bars (1980). Girls, Guns and Ghouls
- Comparison: Unrated/Hardcore Version. movie-censorship.com
- Peter Bradshaw. Taxi zum Klo – review. The Guardian. 21 April 2011
- Tiff’s Flesh + Blood: The Films of Paul Verhoeven Review: Spetters (1980). OLLIE ENGLAND. 12 February 2014
- Dolce Calda Lisa. kinopoisk.ru (Russian)
- Dolce Calda Lisa. bfi.org.uk
- A Fellatio Scene from the Film. gfycat.com
- The Fruits of Passion. The Digital Fix
- Shipka, Danny (2011). Perverse Titillation: The Exploitation Cinema of Italy, Spain and France, 1960-1980. United States: McFarland & Company. p. 133. ISBN 0786448881. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- Caligula 2 - The Untold Story (1982). 4 August 2010. (German)
- Ralph Elawani. Scandale. Canuxploitation.
- Comparison: Softcore Version/Hardcore Version. movie-censorship.com
- Aphrodite - Nudity Report.
- Satan's Baby Doll. filmbizarro.com
- Baby Sitter (Il nano erotico). Alberto Cavallone - Esotika Erotica Psychotica
- A Menina e o Estuprador. Cinemateca Brasileira (Portuguese)
- Fellatio scene. gfycat.com
- BACANALES ROMANAS. bfi.org.uk
- A Clip. ancensored.com
- Luz del Fuego-The Movie. (Portuguese)
- Sexual Scene from the Film. i.imgur.com
- PERDIDA EM SODOMA. Cinemateca Brasileira (Portuguese)
- A Fellatio scene from the film at 28:48. youtube.com (age restricted)
- Killing of the Flesh. filmtipps.at
- Taking Tiger Mountain. youtube.com
- Taking Tiger Mountain. The Worldwide Celluloid Massacre
- Comparation: Original Version/Canadian VHS.
- The Alcove (1985). Severin Films
- James Joyce's Women (1985). Movie House Commentary.
- Canby, Vincent (29 May 1987). "Devil in the Flesh (1986)". New York Times. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- Hume, Christopher (13 August 1986). "Sex act offends censor festival film ordered cut". Toronto Star. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Comparation: Original European Version/French VHS Version.
- Comparation: US DVD/French VHS.
- Hotel St. Pauli.
- Kindergarten. Boyhood (with pictures)
- ‘Kinski Paganini: originalna verzija’ (1989). Žuti titl. (Croatian)
- James Berardinelli. Tokyo Decadence. ReelViews. 8/6/93.
- Greg Wroblewski. The Soft Kill. Movie House Commentary.
- Erickson, Steve (29 November 2000). "Mysteries of Love". Minneapolis City Pages. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- https://www.independent.co.uk/news/group-sex-film-passed-by-censor-1071335.html. Missing or empty
- Naughty Netflix: Fiona. 17 November 2009
- Lodewijk Crijns. Spirituele extase door middel van piercing. De Filmkrant. February 1999 (Dutch)
- Adair, Gilbert (28 September 1999). "Welcome to planet porn". Independent. London. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Simpson, Clare (25 February 2015). "10 Mainstream Films With Unsimulated Sex Acts - Pola X". WhatCulture.com. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- Ebert, Roger (6 October 2000). "Film Review - Pola X". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "Pola X". Cannes Film Festival. 1999. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- Derek Elley. Review: ‘Maneater’. Variety. 11 October 1999
- Vampire Strangler. Movie House Commentary
- Julia (1999). European Movie Reviews. 4 July 2011.
- L'Humanite. efilmcritic.com.
- Tim Adams (26 November 2006). "Everybody's doing it...". The Guardian. London: Guardian News and Media Limited.
- Ray Casta. Scrapbook. SeveredCinema.com, retrieved 5 September 2015.
- Head Cheeze. Scarlet Diva. Horror View.
- Scott Weinberg. The Pornographer. 14 June 2005
- Sex and Lucia - Comparison: R-rated/Unrated version..
- Film of the Month: Dog Days..
- Mark Halverson. The Center of the World. Sacramento News & Review. 05.31.01.
- Eddie Cockrell. Review: ‘Lazaro’s Girlfriend’. Variety. 26 August 2002
- Wolf of the West Coast. Women in Prison Films. 13 February 2013
- Ben Sillis. Blissfully Yours. EyeForFilm.co.uk. 6 July 2006.
- Charles Taylor. "Secret Things". Salon.com. 20 February 2004.
- "A naked star is born", George Gurley, Observer, New-York, NY, USA. (accessed 11.06.2016)
- Gilbey, Ryan (16 February 2008). "Chloë's world". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 27 May 2010.
- Mark R. Hasan. BR: Private / Fallo! / Do It! (2003). KQEK
- Andreas Bethmann. The Worldwide Celluloid Massacre
- David Stanners. The Principles Of Lust. EyeForFilm.co.uk. 11 March 2004
- Maddox, Garry (8 July 2004). "Censors refuse to ban film depicting real sex". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- Dave Kehr. Exploring the Temptation to Look (and to Look Away). New York Times. 22 September 2004
- Film Karlekens Sprak 2000. kinomusorka.ru
- "History of Sex in Cinema: The Greatest and Most Influential Sexual Films and Scenes (Illustrated) 2005, Part 1".
- "8mm 2 Comparison: Rated and Unrated (Movie-Censorship.com)".
- Don R. Lewis. Kissing on the Mouth. 14 September 2006
- Nathan Lee. Watermelon-Eating Contest!. The Village Voice. 13 February 2007
- Sarah Cronin. Tsai Ming-Liang. Electric Sheep Magazine. 1 November 2007
- Keith Phipps. Princesas. The Onion A.V. Club. 23 August 2006
- Leslie Felperin. Review: ‘Lie with Me’. Variety. 12 October 2005.
- Brian D. Johnson (2 June 2006). "Sook-Yin Lee shocker in Cannes | Macleans.ca - Culture - Lifestyle". Macleans.ca. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- Taxidermia. Dread Central. 5 April 2010
- A.O.Scott. A Cerebral Skin Flick. New York Times. 7 March 2007
- Joachim Kurz. Auftauchen. kino-zeit.de. 11 September 2008 (German)
- Peter Sciretta. Sundance: It is Fine! EVERYTHING IS FINE. Movie Review. slashfilm.com. 25 January 2007
- Alexandra Pascalidou. The Story of Richard O. Stockholm Film Festival
- Marco Duran. Import/Export. DVD Verdict. 4 February 2010
- El Bufalo De La Noche (2007, Mex.) (aka The Night Buffalo)..
- Jay Weissberg. Review: ‘Service’. Variety.com. 18 May 2008
- Tropical Manila SD-2008. International Film Festival Rotterdam.
- À l'Aventure. DVD Times. 8 July 2009.
- Gary Tooze. À l'Aventure. DVDBeaver.
- Jay S. Jacobs. Amateur Porn Star Killer 2. PopEntertainment.com. 6 June 2008
- "RT Interview: Lars von Trier on Antichrist". 22 July 2009. Retrieved 21 July 2010.
- Enter The Void. albertafilmratings.ca. 03/23/2011.
- Tyler Foster. The Band. 16 February 2010
- Dogtooth-insight. The British Board of Film Classification.
-  Philadelphia City Paper. 19 May 2011.
- Bedways – Movie Review. 4 April 2011
- The Bunny Game: An Ecstatic Vision Quest of Torture, Death, and Rebirth. 6 February 2011
- How to make the world’s worst movie: take one Scots producer and add some sex, death and Mr Katie Price. herald scotland. 2 May 2010
- Caterina Benincasa. Late review - London Film Fest 2010 Day 5 - Leap Year / Ano Bisiesto. Bina007 Movies. 26 November 2010
- Mike S. Ryan. GANDU. Hammer to nail. 30 January 2011
- Monica Meijer. Lellebelle. Cinemagazine. 21 January 2011 (Dutch)
- amazon.co.uk - Product Description.
- Libiot, Eric (9 September 2011). "Q: Un film sur le désir et l'amour, mais raté." (in French). L'Express. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Über die Sex-Szenen in Hotel Desire". TIKonline.de.
- Raymond Ko. Love Actually... Sucks! – Scud’s latest film censored. 25 Jul 2011.
- Recensie: Caged (Stephan Brenninkmeijer, 2011). De Nachtvlinders. 3 September 2011 (Dutch)
- Léa. FilmBizarro.com.
- Don Simpson. Starlet | Review. Smells Like Screen Spirit. 12 March 2012
- Lanxon, Nate (22 May 2013). "Hardcore sex in 'Nymphomaniac' puts porn actor genitals on cast's bodies". Wired UK. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- "A man does not know what he's missing". 2Doc. Retrieved 2017-05-13.
- Stig-Lennart Sørensen. Filmanmeldelse: «Pornopung». Videomagasinet. (Norwegian)
- Osenlund, R. Kurt (24 January 2014). "Interview: Alain Guiraudie". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- Jada Yuan. Wetlands Is Sundance’s Crassest, Most Outrageous Movie. 23 January 2014
- Caterina Benincasa. PASOLINI - LFF14 - Day Three. Bina007 Movie Reviews. 10 October 2014.
- Giovanni Marchini Camia. Love. Cannes 2015 Review. 21 May 2015
- Boyer, Thomas (16 May 2016). "F*cking Deep: Explicit Sex and Queer Cinema". Inside Out. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- Weissberg, Jay (19 February 2016). "Berlin Film Review: ‘Paris 05:59’". Variety. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- Alice in Wonderland (1976/I).
- Peary, Danny (1988). Cult Movies 3. New York: Simon & Schuster Inc. pp. 52–56. ISBN 0-671-64810-1.
- What Blockbuster Didn't Bust Blockbuster's inconsistent ratings policy -- The video rental store cracks down on X and NC-17 rated films, but ignores racier unrated fare like Wild Orchid, Ty Burr, Entertainment Weekly, 29 March 1991.