|Type of business||Social networking service|
|Founded||October 22, 2010|
|Headquarters||Wilmington, North Carolina|
|Products||Untappd, Untappd for Business, Untappd Marketplace|
|Users||9 million|
|Launched||October 22, 2010|
|Operating system||iOS, Android|
Untappd is a geosocial networking service and mobile phone application founded by Greg Avola and Tim Mather that allows its users to check in as they drink beers, and share these check-ins and their locations with their friends. It incorporates aspects of gamification.
Untappd provides a platform for users to rate the beer they are consuming, earn badges, share pictures of their beers, review tap lists from nearby venues, see what beers their friends are drinking, comment on checked-in beers, and ask the app to suggest similar beverages. In 2016, an updated version of the application allowed users to find a beer by scanning its barcode
As a user checks in different beers, they earn badges. These badges consist of local badges, beer badges, venue badges, and special badges. Local badges are earned from checking in at specific locations participating in an Untappd for Business promotion. Beer badges are earned based upon how many unique beers a user has checked in, what country or region the beer is produced, what style the beer is, or various actions by the user, such as checking in the same beer multiple times in a row. Venue badges are earned for checking in at different locations like breweries, restaurants, or festivals. Special badges are earned from checking in a specific beer as part of a promotion or checking in on a specific holiday.
Untappd started in 2010 at Fathers Office in Santa Monica, California. On January 17, 2014 it was announced that Untappd had passed the 1 million user mark and by April 2016, they had 3.2 million users.
On January 15, 2016, Untappd announced that it would become a subsidiary of Next Glass, a beer and wine rating and suggesting application. Both companies indicated their applications will remain independent, but will benefit from increased data integrations.
As of September 4th, 2020 Untappd reported 820,000 unique users checked-in at least once from almost 180 different countries.
- Bellamy, Cammie. "Brewing up business: Untappd could expand on Front St". Star News Online. Retrieved June 22, 2018.
- Mather, Tim (October 22, 2010). "Untappd Connects Beer Drinkers Everywhere". Untappd - Drink Socially. Retrieved October 22, 2014.
- "Apple on the App Store". iTunes Store. April 29, 2019. Retrieved April 29, 2019.
- "Untappd - Discover Beer". Google Play Store. April 29, 2019. Retrieved April 29, 2019.
- Minsky, David (April 17, 2012). "Untappd App: Social Networking for Hops Heads". Miami New Times. Miami, Florida. Archived from the original on April 22, 2012. Retrieved November 28, 2021.
- Clayton, Nick (October 7, 2011). "Mixing Alcohol with Geo-Location". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved December 2, 2022.
- Allen-Black, Joe (June 29, 2012). "Find new beer; remember your favorites". The Boston Globe. Boston. Archived from the original on July 1, 2012. Retrieved November 28, 2021.
- Joe Brockmeier (October 6, 2011). "Untappd: At the Intersection of Social, Mobile, Data and Beer". ReadWriteWeb. Archived from the original on October 7, 2011.
- Eaton, Kit (December 14, 2016). "2016 in Review: The Year's Best Apps". The New York Times. Archived from the original on December 14, 2016. Retrieved November 28, 2021.
- Warren, Christina. "A Foursquare For Beer Lovers". Mashable. Retrieved April 20, 2018.
- "Untappd is 1,000,000 strong and growing!". Untappd blog. January 17, 2014.
- Tom Rotunno (April 25, 2016). "Two guys created their dream jobs, forged by a love for tech and beer". CNBC.
- Chris Furnari (January 15, 2016). "Untappd Merges with Beer and Wine Recommendation App, Next Glass". Brewhound.
- "We're Taking It To The Next Level". Untappd blog. January 15, 2016.
- Mike Snider (January 15, 2016). "A spirited merger pairs Untappd and Next Glass". USA TODAY.
- Fitzpatrick A, Oaklander M, Eadicicco L, et al. (October 31, 2016). "The 50 Best Apps of the Year". Time.
- "Untappd at Home". Untappd blog. March 25, 2020. Archived from the original on October 1, 2020. Retrieved November 28, 2021.
- Greg Avola (September 2, 2020). "Untappd at Home: By the Numbers".
- Patrick, James (March 3, 2021). "Sacramento's Alaro brewery sees schism between critical success and Untappd scores". The Sacramento Bee. Archived from the original on June 19, 2021. Retrieved March 27, 2021.