View of castle ruins and inner ward from current access gate (Tor 2)
|Alternative names||Burg Alt-Schellenberg|
|Construction started||built around 1250, first written record from 1317|
|Owner||Historischer Verein für das Fürstentum Liechtenstein (Historical Association of the Principality of Liechtenstein)|
Untere Burg ("Lower Castle"), also known colloquially as Burg Alt-Schellenberg ("Castle of Alt-Schellenberg"), is a castle ruin located in the municipality of Schellenberg, Liechtenstein. It lies at the edge of a local forest, a few hundred metres north of the main road between Vorderer Schellenberg and Mittleler Schellenberg (two of the burroughs in the village of Alt-Schellenberg). It is freely open to tourists and accessible by foot or mountain bike via a local footpath. Untere Burg is one of the five existing castles in Liechtenstein and one of the three ruined ones in the country.
Untere Burg is the smaller and newer one of the two ruined castles in the Municipality of Schellenberg. Its construction was finished around 1250. Its first appearance in written records is from 1317. The castle reached the pinnacle of its structural expansion around the year 1350. According to current estimates, it was inhabited until roughly the 16th century, when it was abandoned and ceased to function as a residence. In the following centuries, the castle lost its military purpose and became a ruin.
In 1956, Franz Joseph II, Prince of Liechtenstein handed over ownership of the heavily overgrown ruin to the Historisches Verein für das Fürstentum Liechtenstein (Historical Association of the Principality of Liechtenstein). This institution is the current owner and caretaker of the ruin and oversees its research, upkeep and preservation.
- Obere Burg - The other castle ruin in the municipality of Schellenberg.
- List of castles in Liechtenstein
- "Historischer Verein für das Fürstentum Liechtenstein (Historical Association of the Principality of Liechtenstein)". 31 March 2018. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- "Principality of Liechtenstein: Travel, holidays, vacations - Activities - Popular sights & the countryside: Castle ruins in Schellenberg". 31 March 2018. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- "Photo gallery of Liechtenstein and Luxembourg castles, including photos of Untere Burg" (in German). 2013-01-05. Retrieved 2013-01-05.
- "Historischer Verein für das Fürstentum Liechtenstein - Die Burgen auf dem Schellenberg (Historical Association of the Principality of Liechtenstein - The castles on Schellenberg)" (in German). 5 March 2016. Archived from the original on 5 May 2016. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- Cornelia Herrmann (2007). Die Kunstdenkmäler des Fürstentums Liechtenstein. Das Oberland. In: Gesellschaft für Schweizerische Kunstgeschichte GSK: Die Kunstdenkmäler der Schweiz.. Bern. ISBN 978-3-906131-85-6.
- "Untere Burg on Burgenwelt.de" (in German). 2016-01-22. Retrieved 2016-01-22.
- "Ground plan of Untere Burg on Burgenwelt.de" (in German). 2016-01-22. Retrieved 2016-01-22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Untere Burg Castle, Schellenberg, Liechtenstein.|