Until the Real Thing Comes Along
"(It Will Have to Do) Until the Real Thing Comes Along" is a popular song first published in 1936.
Another version has, immediately below the title, the words: "with Piano Accordion". According to this version, the songwriting credits read: Words and Music by Mann Holiner, Alberta Nichols, Sammy Cahn, Saul Chaplin and L.E. Freeman.
Otherwise, graphically, the two versions are identical.
ASCAP lists all five as co-writers. Research Paper on the topic
Other notable recordings
- The Ink Spots feat. Bill Kenny, this reached No. 24 in the Billboard charts in 1941. 
- Billie Holiday (1942) Columbia Record 78rpm; re-issued on the Columbia release Lady Day: the Best of Billie Holiday (2001)
- The Ravens (1947) 
- Ella Fitzgerald and Ellis Larkins on the Decca album release Songs in a Mellow Mood (1954), re-released as part of the album, Pure Ella (1994).
- Frankie Laine and Buck Clayton - on their album Jazz Spectacular (1956)
- Carmen McRae - Blue Moon (1956)
- June Christy - included in the album This Is June Christy (1956).
- Nat King Cole - on his album Tell Me All About Yourself (1960)
- Dean Martin - on his album This Time I'm Swingin'! (1960)
- Dexter Gordon - on his album A Swingin' Affair (1962).
- Aretha Franklin for her album Laughing on the Outside (1962).
- Judy Henske for her album High Flying Bird (1963).
- Ernie K-Doe (1967)
- Sandy Denny - Like an Old Fashioned Waltz (1974)
- James Booker - Junco Partner (1976)
- Frank Sinatra - L.A. Is My Lady (1984)
- Coleman Hawkins - material together from sessions dating between 1958 and 1962 in the In a Mellow Tone (1988).
- Rod Stewart - As Time Goes By: The Great American Songbook, Volume II (2003)
- Noah Preminger - Before The Rain (2011)
- The Hot Sardines - French Fries and Champagne (2016)
A French version was adapted by Maxime Le Forestier and performed by Julien Clerc. It was also performed in French by the famous group "The Neighbours" during a concert in Le New Cactus in Kigali, Rwanda.
- Whitburn, Joel (1986). Joel Whitburn's Pop Memories 1890-1954. Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Inc. p. 601. ISBN 0-89820-083-0.
- Whitburn, Joel (1986). Joel Whitburn's Pop Memories 1890-1954. Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Inc. p. 223. ISBN 0-89820-083-0.
- "allmusic.com". allmusic.com. Retrieved December 29, 2018.
|This article about a jazz standard or composition written in the 1930s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This pop standards-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|