Until You Were Gone
|"Until You Were Gone"|
|Single by Chipmunk featuring Esmée Denters|
|from the album I Am Chipmunk|
|Released||16 April 2010|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Genre||Hip hop, R&B|
|Writer(s)||Fraser T Smith, Chipmunk &
|Producer(s)||Fraser T Smith|
|Chipmunk singles chronology|
"Until You Were Gone" is Chipmunk's sixth single and features Dutch singer Esmée Denters. The track is the first single from the platinum edition of I Am Chipmunk. The single was recorded in January 2010 with producer, Fraser T Smith, and songwriter Ayak Thiik. On 19 April 2010, BBC Radio 1Xtra DJ MistaJam announced on his Twitter that he would play "Until You Were Gone" for the first time on the radio, and later premiered it on the radio. Chipmunk revealed that he wrote this song about a girl called Carys Hughes.
Robert Copsey of Digital Spy gave the song a positive review stating: "As far as collaborations go, this one takes the biscuit, dunks it in a cuppa, and then cheekily asks for another. The 19-year-old rapper and the Dutch Timberlake protégé hardly seem like the most obvious doublet, but they've defied the odds on this trailer single for Chipmunk's repackaged I Am Chipmunk LP. According to Chip's twitterings, he asked Denters personally to feature on the track after holding it back for The Right Voice. It's a tale as old a time. To be fair though, he wasn't wrong - together they sound like a match made in hip-pop heaven. As Chip mourns over losing his Mrs, Denters swoops in to croon: "I didn't know how much I missed you / Until you were gone, gone, gone." The track's catchy hook is matched by Esmee's silky-smooth vocals, a welcome surprise after her somewhat underwhelming solo singles. Chipmunk hasn't broken rank from his winning formula here, but thanks to the sharp lyrics, that addictive melody and some typically clean Fraser T Smith production, he's easily forgiven." .
On 4 March 2010 Esmée Denters and Chipmunk recorded the music video in an unknown London-based studio. He did this because this is how he felt when his girlfriend left him. The video is directed by Emil Nava. Esmée made updates on her Twitter with pictures from the set. Chipmunk himself also notified he was shooting the music video with Esmée on his Twitter. Despite the fact Chipmunk noted the video would have its nationwide premiere on 16 April 2010, the music video premiered on 20 March 2010 on T4.
- Digital download
- "Until You Were Gone" - 3:30
- "Until You Were Gone" (Buzz Junkies Radio Edit) - 3:29
- "Oopsy Daisy" (BBC Live Version) - 3:43
- "Look for Me" (BBC Live Version) - 5:00
- CD single
- "Until You Were Gone" - 3:30
- "Until You Were Gone" (Instrumental) - 3:30
The BBC Radio 1 midweek chart stated that "Until You Were Gone" would chart at #2 on the UK Singles Chart on 25 April 2010, it entered the UK Singles Chart at number 3 selling 69,836 copies in the song's first week. It entered the Irish Singles Chart on 22 April at #33. The following week, the single climbed to its current peak of #24 two weeks later.
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||3|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||2|
- Sales and certifications
- "Until you were gone Sheet Music". Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- Robert Copsey. "Chipmunk ft. Esmée Denters: 'Until You Were Gone'". Digital Spy. digitalspy.co.uk.
- "iTunes - Music - Until You Were Gone (feat. Esmée Denters) - EP by Chipmunk". iTunes.
- "Telly Mix - Reality TV blog - X Factor, Strictly, more - Telly Mix". Telly Mix.
- "Australian-charts.com – Chipmunk feat. Esmée Denters – Until You Were Gone". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Chart Track: Week 18, 2010". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Chipmunk Ft Esmee Denters: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company.
- "Archive Chart: 2010-05-01" UK R&B Chart.
- "British single certifications – Chipmunk – Look For Me". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 22 March 2014. Enter Look For Me in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Click Search