Until the Light Takes Us
|Until the Light Takes Us|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Aaron Aites
|Produced by||Aaron Aites
|Starring||Gylve "Fenriz" Nagell
Varg "Count Grishnackh" Vikernes
Jan Axel "Hellhammer" Blomberg
Kjetil-Vidar "Frost" Haraldstad
Kristoffer "Garm" Rygg
Bård "Faust" Eithun
Odd Reinhardt Nicolaysen
|Edited by||Andrew Ford|
Artists Public Domain
The Group Entertainment
|Distributed by||Variance Films|
- Gylve "Fenriz" Nagell (Darkthrone)
- Varg "Count Grishnackh" Vikernes (Burzum, Mayhem)
- Jan Axel "Hellhammer" Blomberg (Mayhem)
- Olve "Abbath" Eikemo (Immortal)
- Harald "Demonaz" Nævdal (Immortal)
- Bjarne Melgaard (visual artist)
- Kristoffer "Garm" Rygg (Ulver, Arcturus)
- Kjetil "Frost" Haraldstad (Satyricon, 1349, Keep of Kalessin)
- Bård "Faust" Eithun (Emperor) – Eithun chose to appear as a silhouette, with his voice distorted
Variance Films acquired the theatrical rights to the film in the U.S. and released it in New York City on December 4, 2009. The film grossed $7,246 on a single screen in its first week, the second highest per-screen gross of any debuting film at the time (behind Up in the Air).
Andrew O'Hehir of Salon.com called the film "crafty and compelling". Nick Pinkerton of The Village Voice said, "The filmmakers seem cowed into obeisance by their subjects. Varg's last onscreen appearance is accompanied by a montage fitting a schoolyard crush, and the film's title is the translation of Burzum's fourth album, Hvis lyset tar oss. [...] [the film] arrives a decade too late to add much."
- "Until the Light Takes Us – Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- "Until the Light Takes Us Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More – Metacritic". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- O'Hehir, Andrew (December 7, 2009). "Until the Light Takes Us – Salon.com". Salon.com. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Pinkerton, Nick (December 1, 2009). "Until the Light Takes Us: A Norwegian Black Metal Documentary – Page 1 – Movies – New York – Village Voice". villagevoice.com. Retrieved September 25, 2012.