Song to Song
|Song to Song|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Terrence Malick|
|Written by||Terrence Malick|
|Distributed by||Broad Green Pictures|
Song to Song is an upcoming 2017 American drama film written and directed by Terrence Malick, starring an ensemble cast including Ryan Gosling, Rooney Mara, Michael Fassbender, Natalie Portman and Cate Blanchett.
In this modern love story set against the Austin, Texas music scene, two entangled couples — struggling songwriters Faye (Mara) and BV (Gosling), and music mogul Cook (Fassbender) and the waitress whom he ensnares (Portman) — chase success through a rock ‘n’ roll landscape of seduction and betrayal.
- Ryan Gosling as BV
- Michael Fassbender as Cook
- Rooney Mara as Faye
- Natalie Portman
- Christian Bale
- Cate Blanchett as Amanda
- Haley Bennett
- Val Kilmer
- Benicio del Toro
- Clifton Collins Jr.
- Angela Bettis as Angela
- Bérénice Marlohe
- Florence Welch as Florence
- Lykke Li
- Holly Hunter
- Boyd Holbrook
- Callie Hernandez as Julie
- Patti Smith as herself
- Tom Sturridge as Tom
- Trevante Rhodes as TR
- Austin Amelio as BV’s Cousin
- Iggy Pop
- Black Lips
- Alan Palomo
- Iron & Wine
- Arcade Fire
- John Lydon
- Fleet Foxes
- Linda Emond as Judy
- Dora Madison Burge as Denise
- Spank Rock
In November 2011, it was announced that Ryan Gosling, Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara and Haley Bennett had all been cast in the film. The film was originally titled Lawless, but Malick allowed filmmaker John Hillcoat to use the title for his 2012 film. The production company when the film was announced as in pre-production in November 2011 was FilmNation Entertainment and its producers were Sarah Green and Nicolas Gonda. In November 2012, it was announced that Bérénice Marlohe had joined the cast of the film, with her character being kept under wraps. It was revealed in March 2015 the title was Weightless. In February 2016, Sarah Green confirmed the title of the film was indeed Weightless, though it was later changed to Song to Song. In December 2016, it was announced Iggy Pop, John Lydon, Arcade Fire, Alan Palomo, Iron & Wine, Fleet Foxes and The Black Lips would appear in the film.
Rooney Mara said in December 2011 that filming was scheduled to begin in September 2012. That month, scenes were shot in Austin, Texas. In March 2012, Alan Palomo of Neon Indian shot scenes for the film. In October 2012, Mara, Michael Fassbender, Florence Welch and Holly Hunter were spotted on set filming. Mara said in an interview that Patti Smith shot scenes for the film, playing herself. In November 2012, Val Kilmer was spotted filming. Christian Bale only shot three days on the film.
Michael Fassbender provided voice-over that the actor said may be cut from the completed film, stating, "I'm not sure [if I'm in the final cut]. I've got to go actually and do some more voice-over ... just like reams and reams of that." Bale also expressed doubts about whether he would appear, saying in November 2013, "I unfortunately wasn't able to do everything I was meant to do, so I ended up doing like three, four days on that. Which in Terry's world means you're never going to see me in it." In January 2016, Mara revealed she did voice-over for the film.
In February 2015, Broad Green Pictures acquired U.S distribution rights to the film. The film will have its world premiere at South by Southwest on March 10, 2017. The film is scheduled to be released on March 17, 2017.
- "Song to Song". South by Southwest. Retrieved February 9, 2017.
- Lodderhose, Diana (November 1, 2011). "Bale, Blanchett to star in two Terrence Malick pics". Variety. Retrieved October 19, 2015.
- "Lawless". FilmNation Entertainment. November 21, 2011. Archived from the original on February 27, 2012.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (February 8, 2012). "Natalie Portman Joins Terrence Malick's 'Lawless' & 'Knight of Cups'". Indiewire. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Kit, Borys (November 2, 2012). "Bond Girl Berenice Marlohe Joins Terrence Malick's Latest All-Star Drama (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 2, 2016.
- Pearce, Leonard (March 27, 2015). "Terrence Malick Sets Title For Forthcoming Drama With Ryan Gosling, Rooney Mara & More". The Film Stage. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
- "SBIFF 2016 - Centerpiece Film "Knight of Cups" Sarah Green Interview". Santa Barbara International Film Festival via YouTube. February 8, 2016. Retrieved February 9, 2016.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (December 29, 2016). "Michael Fassbender Plays A "Lucifer"-Like Character In Terrence Malick's 'Weightless,' Shares Scenes With Iggy Pop & John Lydon". The Playlist. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
- Trunick, Austin (January 13, 2016). "Neon Indian - Alan Palomo on Acting, Scoring, and "VEGA INTL. Night School"". Under the Radar Magazine. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
- Brunner, Rob (December 26, 2011). "Rooney Mara talks future projects, promoting 'Dragon Tattoo': 'Everyone is like, So, the rape scene. Was that hard?'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Fowler, Brandi (September 26, 2012). "Ryan Gosling Kisses Rooney Mara: Pretty Pair Shoots Scenes for Terrence Malick Movie". E! News. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Sacks, Ethan (September 27, 2012). "Ryan Gosling & Rooney Mara sizzle on the Austin set of Terrence Malick-directed music drama". Daily News. New York City. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Pelly, Jenn (March 21, 2012). "Neon Indian's Alan Palomo Shoots Scenes for Terrence Malick Film With Rooney Mara". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved January 19, 2016.
- Trunick, Austin (January 13, 2016). "Neon Indian - Alan Palomo on Acting, Scoring, and "VEGA INTL. Night School"". Under the Radar. Retrieved January 19, 2016.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (October 15, 2012). "Watch: Rooney Mara Plays With Black Lips As Terrence Malick Returns To Austin City Limits; Florence Welch Appears With Cast". Indiewire. Retrieved January 13, 2016.
- Lyttelton, Oliver (October 4, 2012). "Holly Hunter Latest Actor To Join, Probably Get Cut Out Of, Terrence Malick's Next Film". Indiewire.com. Retrieved March 13, 2016.
- "Rooney Mara Reveals Patti Smith Shot Scenes For Terrence Malick's Austin Music Scene Movie aka 'Weightless'". Indiewire. October 28, 2015. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- Zakarin, Jordan (November 5, 2012). "Val Kilmer Goes Wild On-Stage in Austin for Terrence Malick's Rock Film". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Weintraub, Steve 'Frosty' (March 3, 2016). "Christian Bale on 'Knight of Cups' and the Process of Working with Terrence Malick". Collider.com. Retrieved March 13, 2016.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (October 30, 2013). "Michael Fassbender Uncertain He'll Make The Cut In Terrence Malick's Austin Movie, William Friedkin Disses 'To The Wonder'". Indiewire. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Thompson, Anne (November 27, 2013). "Oscar Nominee Christian Bale Holds His Roles to a High Standard, from 'American Hustle' to 'Out of the Furnace'". Indiewire. p. 2. Archived from the original on December 18, 2013. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Rooney Mara (January 28, 2016). "Conversations with Rooney Mara of CAROL". SAG-AFTRA Foundation (Interview). Interview with Joe McGovern. YouTube. Retrieved February 9, 2016.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (February 12, 2015). "Broad Green Confirms Terrence Malick Deal Starting With 'Knight Of Cups' – Update". Deadline.com. Retrieved August 14, 2016.
- A. Lincoln, Ross (January 5, 2017). "Terrence Malick's 'Song To Song' To Open SXSW 2017". Deadline.com. Retrieved January 5, 2017.
- Nordine, Michael (January 3, 2017). "'Song to Song' First Look: Terrence Malick's Austin-Set Romantic Drama Lands New Title and Official Premise (Exclusive)". Indiewire.com. Retrieved January 3, 2017.